Resume Format

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helicio

Resume Format

Postby Helicio » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:50 pm

How do you guys format your resumes? What is the best way to format them?

I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere, and I used the search function, but I couldn't find a recent one. If anyone knows one please link it!

Thanks guys.

kruiz88

Re: Resume Format

Postby kruiz88 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Type into Google "law school resume" and use Syracuse law resue packet. Then just browse the rest of the links from the various law schools. But beware, some of the Harvard/Yale resume examples may leave you feeling a little bit like an underachiever. :D

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:19 pm

kruiz88 wrote:Type into Google "law school resume" and use Syracuse law resue packet. Then just browse the rest of the links from the various law schools. But beware, some of the Harvard/Yale resume examples may leave you feeling a little bit like an underachiever. :D

Haha, thanks!

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:00 pm

I used either Stanford's or Harvard's examples. Just go to the detailed application checklist area and one has 3 easily downloaded examples from recent "successful" candidates. Try to ignore the details of their qualifications though, focus focus on just the format ;)

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 pm

I used Harvard's resume example for formatting.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:30 pm

MumofCad wrote:I used either Stanford's or Harvard's examples. Just go to the detailed application checklist area and one has 3 easily downloaded examples from recent "successful" candidates. Try to ignore the details of their qualifications though, focus focus on just the format ;)

Wow these are great. I'm not applying yet (junior next year), but I just wanted a way to organize everything. Thanks guys!

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Far be it from me to question the advice of Harvard Law School, (and not to hijack the thread) but is that really how the ideal resume looks? They're so boring and inelegant. I would think they wouldn't stand out at all.

I ask this because I have a resume that has received a lot of positive feedback in the non-law world that looks nothing like that. Without going too specific or posting an image, I'll just say that it uses some graphical flourishes to present the information in a way that is much more appealing and conveys an aspect of my personality while still maintaining a clean presentation. Is this not going to be seen as favorably by law schools and law firms as it has been in my non-legal experience? Am I silly to submit a resume that is not in lockstep with conventional wisdom?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:03 pm

I typed law school resume into google but could not find any link about syracuse or what not....what am i doing wrong?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Samara wrote:Far be it from me to question the advice of Harvard Law School, (and not to hijack the thread) but is that really how the ideal resume looks? They're so boring and inelegant. I would think they wouldn't stand out at all.

I ask this because I have a resume that has received a lot of positive feedback in the non-law world that looks nothing like that. Without going too specific or posting an image, I'll just say that it uses some graphical flourishes to present the information in a way that is much more appealing and conveys an aspect of my personality while still maintaining a clean presentation. Is this not going to be seen as favorably by law schools and law firms as it has been in my non-legal experience? Am I silly to submit a resume that is not in lockstep with conventional wisdom?

Without seeing it, I couldn't tell you. I think the conventional wisdom is to trend conservative in the legal field, more so than business.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Samara wrote:Far be it from me to question the advice of Harvard Law School, (and not to hijack the thread) but is that really how the ideal resume looks? They're so boring and inelegant. I would think they wouldn't stand out at all.

I'm not an expert on this or anything law school app related - I think its probably wise not to come off as gimmicky. They don't want PSs written in poetry. I would assume that sticking to a clear, concise formula for the resume is wise.

My thinking goes like this: Your resume will be reviewed. It does not need to stand out, other than by the merit of what is written in it. The most important goal in a law school application resume would seem to me that the content is easily extracted and effectively communicated. You can make yourself and personality stand out in your PS. If you attempt to do so in your resume as well, it may very well turn them off and seem like overkill or desperation.

As PP mentioned, hard to tell without actually seeing it. I can't imagine graphics in a resume.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:17 pm

thederangedwang wrote:I typed law school resume into google but could not find any link about syracuse or what not....what am i doing wrong?

Here's Harvard's sample page (midway down the page)- HTH : http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Legal resumes are supposed to be boring and ugly as far as I can tell. It probably doesn't matter as much for law school admissions but when you start fixing your resume up for legal hiring - just strike the word 'flourishes' from your vocabulary.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:27 am

The Harvard resumes are poor examples. The job descriptions are not that impressive and lack the STAR format. They also use phrases that most people have no idea what they are talking about - especially the McKinsey resume.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:43 am

sparty99 wrote:The Harvard resumes are poor examples. The job descriptions are not that impressive and lack the STAR format. They also use phrases that most people have no idea what they are talking about - especially the McKinsey resume.

I understood everything just fine and don't know the first thing about consulting.

That said, this section is making my eyes bleed:

--ImageRemoved--

Good god that formatting is horrendous.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 am

I wish you would lorem ipsum the text and post a picture because I'm very curious as to what it looks like. "Graphical flourishes" sound like something that belong on an artsy/design resume, not a legal or law school admissions resume.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 am

Dany wrote:
sparty99 wrote:The Harvard resumes are poor examples. The job descriptions are not that impressive and lack the STAR format. They also use phrases that most people have no idea what they are talking about - especially the McKinsey resume.

I understood everything just fine and don't know the first thing about consulting.

That said, this section is making my eyes bleed:

--ImageRemoved--

Good god that formatting is horrendous.

Agreed. That part could've been done better, but the rest seemed fine to me.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 am

"Modeled financial impact of using novel strategies to create synergies between generic and branded pharmaceutical drug portfolios; built extensive, automated Excel model" - "novel strategies?" What the hell is that? "synergies" - business buzzwords, doesn't mean anything...

"Led or help conduct" - just say, "Led"

"Performed analytics to identify and illustrate key issues" - What type of issues? What type of analytics?

"Diagnosed and developed recommendations for addressing quality issues in audit methodology and auditor tools" - so what? What did you recommend?

--- this entire resume made me yawn....

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:14 am

Sounds fine to me, and those are all questions that could be/would be asked in an interview.

Anyway, back to resume formatting. I've found various schools' career services sites to be very helpful. Many have examples of what 1L resumes should look like, and admissions resumes won't be too much different formatting-wise. I believe Yale and Duke have good examples in particular.

Storm

Postby Storm » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:26 pm

So how far back can you go on a resume? What I mean is, can I put accomplishments from high school if they are somewhat significant? I would feel super lame putting stuff from high school on there, but I mean if it helps, then it helps, right?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Storm wrote:So how far back can you go on a resume? What I mean is, can I put accomplishments from high school if they are somewhat significant? I would feel super lame putting stuff from high school on there, but I mean if it helps, then it helps, right?

I don't think it is appropriate to put things from high school, unless its so noteworthy and amazing that it absolutely NEEDS to be on there

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Storm wrote:So how far back can you go on a resume? What I mean is, can I put accomplishments from high school if they are somewhat significant? I would feel super lame putting stuff from high school on there, but I mean if it helps, then it helps, right?

Unless you did something truly incredible (gold medal at the Olympics) or it still has relevance (the company you started when you were 16 is still around and making you money), don't include anything from high school.

Storm

Postby Storm » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Unless you did something truly incredible (gold medal at the Olympics) or it still has relevance (the company you started when you were 16 is still around and making you money), don't include anything from high school.

Alright then looks like I'll just have to start digging a little deeper to pad my resume. Would it look bad/too obvious if I started doing more volunteer work right now?

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Last edited by Samara on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 pm

That resume looks cool and I appreciate the Arrested Development references but for a legal resume you need to scrap that and start over

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:04 pm

The point of a resume is not to look cool from an aethstitic (spelling) background, but to land an interview.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”