Question Regarding Personal Statements...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Real Madrid

Question Regarding Personal Statements...

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Is it seen as a major mistake to not include reasoning for why you want to attend law school in your PS? I feel that I have a good topic for my PS, but my reasoning for wanting to attend doesn't fit neatly into it - in fact, it might seem kind of forced. Better to leave it out altogether?

JamMasterJ

Re: Question Regarding Personal Statements...

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Is it seen as a major mistake to not include reasoning for why you want to attend law school in your PS? I feel that I have a good topic for my PS, but my reasoning for wanting to attend doesn't fit neatly into it - in fact, it might seem kind of forced. Better to leave it out altogether?

Additional why X essay

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:48 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Is it seen as a major mistake to not include reasoning for why you want to attend law school in your PS?

No.

You wouldn't be applying to law school if you didn't want to go there. If you can tie your desire to attend law school into the overall narrative, then do so. If not, don't force it into the PS. It'll feel manufactured and hollow.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:24 pm

billyez wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Is it seen as a major mistake to not include reasoning for why you want to attend law school in your PS?

No.

You wouldn't be applying to law school if you didn't want to go there. If you can tie your desire to attend law school into the overall narrative, then do so. If not, don't force it into the PS. It'll feel manufactured and hollow.

This.

Though I'm interested to hear what you're writing about that doesn't speak to either your desire to go to law school or an experience that demonstrates your abilities to excel in that area.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:32 pm

bp shinners wrote:
billyez wrote:

No.

This.

Though I'm interested to hear what you're writing about that doesn't speak to either your desire to go to law school or an experience that demonstrates your abilities to excel in that area.

Misquote.

@OP, I RC failed, I thought you wree referring to a reason for attending a specific school. Unless a school specilfically prompts you to write this in the PS, you don't really need to. Write a statement that shows them who you are as a person. They want to get a feel for you.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:22 pm

bp shinners wrote:
billyez wrote:

No.

This.

I managed it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”