Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
ThomasMN
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby ThomasMN » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:33 pm

I can understand where he is coming from in a way. I am a history major, but have taken a lot of STEM courses for fun. I have always ended up with a 98-100% in my science courses, but somehow I have a weakness for theology courses - they are prereqs at my UG. I've gotten an A- in every theo class I've taken no matter what. That being said, I think some of our theo professors are evil. I had a teacher who gave me 4 A's and an A- on a rubric for a paper and then gave me the equivalent of a 91.6% on the paper when an A in her course is a 94%. The Bible is obviously my academic weakness.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:35 pm

thederangedwang wrote:As a result, if 2 students go head to head for 1 spot, 1 is a 4.1 humanities major, and another is a 4.2 science major, I think the science major would get the nod just because the adcomm thinks the higher gpa and major makes the candidate better, without taking into this glass ceiling thing

This just doesn't happen. There are less than 100 people in the country who come out of the top engineering programs each year with straight A's (we had about 10 a year at UIUC). Out of those 100 people, very few go to law school. So the idea that a 4.2 science major goes head to head with a 4.1 humanities major for ONE spot is just silly. There aren't enough of them for that to happen. In reality, they both get the admit.

User avatar
ThomasMN
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby ThomasMN » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Corwin wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:As a result, if 2 students go head to head for 1 spot, 1 is a 4.1 humanities major, and another is a 4.2 science major, I think the science major would get the nod just because the adcomm thinks the higher gpa and major makes the candidate better, without taking into this glass ceiling thing

This just doesn't happen. There are less than 100 people in the country who come out of the top engineering programs each year with straight A's (we had about 10 a year at UIUC). Out of those 100 people, very few go to law school. So the idea that a 4.2 science major goes head to head with a 4.1 humanities major for ONE spot is just silly. There aren't enough of them for that to happen. In reality, they both get the admit.


So true. Also, as a humanities major I have to admit that a high GPA in the sciences is more difficult to get than a high GPA in the various humanities and social sciences. I have friends that graduated with 3.5+ GPAs in various liberal arts and then failed to break 152 on the LSAT. All of the STEM majors I know who have taken the LSAT have done significantly better than that. Also, I personally don't know a single STEM major with a 4.0. The University of Minnesota, biggest public university by me, has a .3 or so GPA gap between the average GPA of STEM majors and liberal arts majors. I also know there are some English departments out there that won't give out a B.

User avatar
ThomasMN
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby ThomasMN » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:41 pm

I have to admit I loled while reading this thread as I kept imagining an English major complaining about how easy the engineers got it.

hurldes
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby hurldes » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:44 pm

If you have a 4.2 science GPA, you should ostensibly be smart enough to realize you can do cooler/better things than law school.

+1

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:09 pm

I think some of you guys are still missing my point

I'm ASSUMING that one is smart enough to get the 4.33 in science. I know that a high science GPA is harder to get than a high humanities GPA.

But if you are CAPABLE of getting a high science GPA, then my argument is, you have a better chance of getting a high science GPA than a high humanities GPA because of things like subjective grading etc etc

So all the previous criticisms directed at my argument that argue how science tests are really really hard are irrelevant.

I am ASSUMING that if you are capable of acing these tests (yes, even the hard ones) than it is easier to get a 4.33 in science than in humanities because a 4.33 in science is POSSIBLE.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:11 pm

We're not missing your point, it just happens to be a dumb one that is also unrelated to law school admissions.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:11 pm

thederangedwang wrote:I think some of you guys are still missing my point

I'm ASSUMING that one is smart enough to get the 4.33 in science. I know that a high science GPA is harder to get than a high humanities GPA.

But if you are CAPABLE of getting a high science GPA, then my argument is, you have a better chance of getting a high science GPA than a high humanities GPA because of things like subjective grading etc etc

So all the previous criticisms directed at my argument that argue how science tests are really really hard are irrelevant.

I am ASSUMING that if you are capable of acing these tests (yes, even the hard ones) than it is easier to get a 4.33 in science than in humanities because a 4.33 in science is POSSIBLE.

I think if you capitalize more words it might help your argument more. I'm not really getting the message right now.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:18 pm

thederangedwang wrote:I think some of you guys are still missing my point

I'm ASSUMING that one is smart enough to get the 4.33 in science. I know that a high science GPA is harder to get than a high humanities GPA.

But if you are CAPABLE of getting a high science GPA, then my argument is, you have a better chance of getting a high science GPA than a high humanities GPA because of things like subjective grading etc etc

So all the previous criticisms directed at my argument that argue how science tests are really really hard are irrelevant.

I am ASSUMING that if you are capable of acing these tests (yes, even the hard ones) than it is easier to get a 4.33 in science than in humanities because a 4.33 in science is POSSIBLE.


Yes, but you're assuming an individual who wouldn't apply to law school, so why would law school admissions counselors take this into consideration?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Just because science or math is hard for some people does not mean it is hard for others. My gf for instance sucked ass at English and history but has a great gpa in chemistry and her other science courses (chick just doesn't understand how to write). I was a math minor and found my math classes to be no more difficult than others even if they took more consistent practice and for some math wiz they would be even easier. I think that is a major part of so many Math / Physics people with high gpa's -- if you get it, you just get it. I think the same is true with any unified discipline and was true for me in economics. In history or an English class on the other hand, there is not the same level of overall structure.

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby senorhosh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm confused.

Was your original post a question or a statement?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:28 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Just because science or math is hard for some people does not mean it is hard for others. My gf for instance sucked ass at English and history but has a great gpa in chemistry and her other science courses (chick just doesn't understand how to write). I was a math minor and found my math classes to be no more difficult than others even if they took more consistent practice and for some math wiz they would be even easier. I think that is a major part of so many Math / Physics people with high gpa's -- if you get it, you just get it. I think the same is true with any unified discipline and was true for me in economics. In history or an English class on the other hand, there is not the same level of overall structure.

That doesn't mean the humanities are harder; it means they can be bullshitted.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:29 pm

senorhosh wrote:I'm confused.

Was your original post a question or a statement?

I think the OP wanted to know if adcomms take the difference in GPA into account when considering applicants.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:That doesn't mean the humanities are harder; it means they can be bullshitted.

This is the sad state of the liberal arts today.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Science/Engineering have higher GPA's than Humanities

Postby dkt4 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:02 pm

if you had a 4.0 in UG you fucked up anyway. try again next time.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests