Playing Rugby 1L? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
things fall apart

Bronze

Playing Rugby 1L?

Post by things fall apart » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 am

Played off and on in undergrad was pretty good although I'm guessing I've lost a step.

Anyway I imagine its something like two training sessions (maybe three) that will last about 3 hours. Then you have a match Saturday morning and post match drinks (pretty much ruling out getting anything done on Saturday until maybe after 5pm if it is a home game).
The thing is with all the hitting and the potential for a concussion, as well as occasional head-first collisions. Is it possible?

Time it'd take:

-About 3 hours from ~ 4p-7p on two maybe three school days. (And being a bit worn down afterwards).

-Friday night you cant really go out, Saturday is taken until 5 if a home match, maybe 9 if an away match and thats only if I segregate myself and don't drink when the two teams come together after the match as is custom.

-And then the potential for any head injuries.

I know ultimately it will be up to me, but going into 1L is this managable? I only ask because I'd need to seriously get in shape and change my diet, and if I think its possible and its not I'd waste a lot of time and money.

thecilent

Gold

Re: Playing Rugby 1L?

Post by thecilent » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 am

Same thread literally about 10 topics down on the homepage/new posts page.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Generally, the students in my section who put in the time to study when needed, but didn't go crazy and filled their free time with activities they enjoyed did better than those who forsook all other aspects of their life and studied every waking hour. I would definitely recommend that you sign up for rugby if it's something you enjoy and will help you balance out the stress of 1L year.

That being said, make sure that you also have time to develop friendships within your law school class. It'll help you study, and you'll have more connections in your career field afterwards.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:33 pm

I played rugby for a men's team in the area during my 1L year and it wasn't really a problem. We practiced t/th and had games on Saturday. Depending on whether you are DII or DIII the travel for away games may not even be very much. I don't think a lot of Chicago teams, for example (not where I played tbf), even have to travel very far out of the city. I'm assuming you want to play for a men's team? The only problem I can forsee is if your team makes it to regional and national playoffs. If my team would have made it that far we would have had to play a few states away on the weekend that is in the middle of my two finals week. Obviously just keep your priorities in mind.

I actually liked it quite a bit. If you are used to hanging out with rugby guys you might not mesh well with some kids in LS. Playing gives you a group of friends outside of LS and a good opportunity to unwind and get your mind of studying for a bit. It really shouldn't be too much of a time commitment. Plus it will help keep you in shape. I don't think my grades were any different than if I had not played, I go to a T20 and did fine.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Also, if you play for a men's team a lot of the guys you play with have jobs and families so the practice/game schedule usually keeps that in mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 pm

The thing I would consider is that you are giving up other alternatives when you choose to do rugby. It isn't like you won't have time but you might not have time to do other things. And you might as well write off anything when you have a game -- if you don't go drinking with the team afterwards you aren't doing it right.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm

AreJay711 wrote:The thing I would consider is that you are giving up other alternatives when you choose to do rugby. It isn't like you won't have time but you might not have time to do other things. And you might as well write off anything when you have a game -- if you don't go drinking with the team afterwards you aren't doing it right.
Amen. You will not get anything done on Saturdays.

DouglasDevelopment

New

Post by DouglasDevelopment » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 pm

emciosn wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:The thing I would consider is that you are giving up other alternatives when you choose to do rugby. It isn't like you won't have time but you might not have time to do other things. And you might as well write off anything when you have a game -- if you don't go drinking with the team afterwards you aren't doing it right.
True. But that's not really a big deal until maybe a month before exams.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:50 pm

DouglasDevelopment wrote:
emciosn wrote:
True. But that's not really a big deal until maybe a month before exams.
Yeah. In general I don't think playing would be too bad until around finals. Then it really depends on if you are in the top 15 or top 22 and how pissed your teammates will be if you miss practice/games. Guess if comes down to priorities. I was able to do both even during finals weeks. Obviously I didn't go drinking with them but a few hours a week with some physical activity I think helped actually.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Depends on the position imo. If you're a back, go crazy, I'd say. If you're a forward, may God have mercy on your soul and body.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:16 am

EMAW12 wrote:Depends on the position imo. If you're a back, go crazy, I'd say. If you're a forward, may God have mercy on your soul and body.
Yeah I'd be a back so its not as strenuous.

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'm getting a workout regiment going than.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”