Reevaluating my position- what schools should I look at? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ahduth

Gold

Re: Reevaluating my position- what schools should I look at?

Post by ahduth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 pm

robotclubmember wrote:Lol, yessir
I'm completely serious. PM me where you're going to school and how to get a hold of you. Accountants who can descend like hell's fire and brimstone, are worth a lot. Lawyers with accounting expertise... I'm not clear how a weapon like that is used, but I can't imagine it won't be useful. :D

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:05 pm

First of all, thanks for all the replies, both optimistic and less optimistic (I didn't really get a sense of pessimism from this thread); having a variety of opinions and wealth of information presented was my goal in making this thread, since this is the stuff LSN can't communicate to you.

I'm not a URM, that would substantially change my outlook/goals. I'll consider applying/EDing to some T14s even with a 167 but right now I realize the statistics simply do not support my being admitted; I don't consider this pessimism, for me pessimism would be saying that I'm screwed long term if I take pay $16k a year for UNC or go to Wake with $$$.

Most of all, this thread has been helpful in that I'm now fairly sure I'll retake. Like I stated previously, 167 was exactly my PT average, but I feel there are things I could do to attack the test more strategically in October. Also, having a list of schools that I wouldn't have been looking at otherwise (WUSTL, Indiana, UIUC, Minn, BC, BU) was a point of interest for me, thank you for that. I suppose if I don't retake or if I do and don't do any better, I'll consider applying but evaluate each school that I'm admitted to on a case-by-case basis dependent on scholarship money (mostly). Of course I'll weigh these in against my initial list (Wake, UNC, Emory, UGA, etc.)

If anyone has any suggestions for how to retake/study for the October test, it would be greatly appreciated, although I suppose I should ask that in the LSAT prep form.

And finally, I'm a big Nietzsche fan, partially because he was the first philosopher I read for myself (and not just a class), and partially because he still is the only philosophical writer who I've found really entertaining and enjoyable to read. Also, I actually just finished Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit. Most difficult book I've ever read, even more inaccessible than Kant or Heidegger IMO.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:22 pm

You should swing by the LSAT prep forum and join in the Oct. thread. I participated in the June thread when I retook and it helped me.

I read Phenomenology last spring in a political theory class, the only thing I can think of that compares might be the Principia Naturalis. That was a tough, tough read. I read Genealogy last spring as well, and Zarathustra is sitting on my nightstand. Nietzsche is an interesting thinker, though I really don't agree with his conclusions.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”