LOR Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rich_4

LOR Question

Postby rich_4 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm

(edit) changed the title to hopefully attact more views... I guess my main question is - are you allowed to send LOR to the LSDAS yourself... that you have already seen?

I interned at a Chinese law firm last summer and got an excellent LOR that I want to use for the upcoming cycle.

I'm not sure what to do with the letter because I have seen it. It's on company letterhead and is signed and stamped by my boss from the firm. I could contact him and try to have him send a copy of the letter to the LSDAS, but I honestly think the entire concept of of sending a LOR to the LSDAS is going to be extermely difficult to convey in Chinese. He is the only person that speaks any English at the firm, and his English isn't good enough for me to get the point across that way either.

Can I still use the original letter even though I have seen it? I went through the FAQ and it says that signing the confidentiality waiver to see letters after they have been submitted is highly recommendened - but I can't find anything about seeing letters before you submit them.

The LOR is written in English, and although it is somewhat broken, it is easy to understand and will be easy for anyone to see that I didn't write any part of it.

Will the LSDAS accept letters sent from someone besides the recommender? Can I fax it instead?

Looking for any suggestions.

rich_4

Re: LOR Question

Postby rich_4 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:15 am

edited topic to hopefully get some answers.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:16 am

I believe if you don't sign the waiver, you're allowed to see the letter upon matriculation. You can't request to see the letter before actually applying.

Your best bet is just to ask the recommender to see the letter if you want to see it. If the problem is just sending it, wouldn't giving your recommender the LOR form and a pre-addressed envelope work?

Or, if this is too complicated and you're worried about his level of English, just talk up this experience in your PS and choose someone else for the LOR.

rich_4

Postby rich_4 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:55 am

cinephile wrote:I believe if you don't sign the waiver, you're allowed to see the letter upon matriculation. You can't request to see the letter before actually applying.

Your best bet is just to ask the recommender to see the letter if you want to see it. If the problem is just sending it, wouldn't giving your recommender the LOR form and a pre-addressed envelope work?

Or, if this is too complicated and you're worried about his level of English, just talk up this experience in your PS and choose someone else for the LOR.

I have already seen it - I have the only copy of it. So am I allowed to send it to the LSDAS myself?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:58 am

How would they know who sent it? Not sure if LOR form has to be signed by recommender as well (and if you have that already signed). I think you'd be safe in sending it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”