less applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
confusedlaw

less applicants

Postby confusedlaw » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:14 pm

I was wondering what schools people think will be changing their medians due to the smaller amount of applicants if any? which schools might people with borderline numbers have a better shot at?

Blessedassurance

Re: less applicants

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:17 pm

confusedlaw wrote:I was wondering what schools people think will be changing their medians due to the smaller amount of applicants if any? which schools might people with borderline numbers have a better shot at?

Why do you think there will be a smaller number of applicants?

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:18 pm

drop in lsat takers

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:25 pm

While it's possible schools will lower their medians in anticipation of a numerically weaker applicant pool, it's far from likely. Schools will probably give more leniency to splitters to maintain medians if the drop in LSAT takers actually does make the applicant pool numerically weaker. If the pool is weaker for 2-3 cycles, then schools might start to ease up on their target medians.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:13 am

buckilaw wrote:While it's possible schools will lower their medians in anticipation of a numerically weaker applicant pool, it's far from likely. Schools will probably give more leniency to splitters to maintain medians if the drop in LSAT takers actually does make the applicant pool numerically weaker. If the pool is weaker for 2-3 cycles, then schools might start to ease up on their target medians.

True, but aren't splitters much rarer than non-splitters? If the raw numbers of people taking the LSAT has decreased, the raw number of splitters most likely would be decreasing too, no? I don't think schools can maintain their medians through splitters alone without drastically reducing their class sizes.

Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:22 am

Last edited by Gizmo on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:23 am

Gizmo wrote:*fewer

I was gonna say.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:41 am

^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGWiTvYZR_w

Edit:
Oh and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFhA_7Lj ... age#t=172s

Fast forward to 2:50 if it doesn't doesn't auto fast forward.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 am

confusedlaw wrote:drop in lsat takers

Not everyone who takes the LSAT goes on to Law School. The proportion of test-takers that may continue is unknown. Secondly, when you study the chart, there are traditionally more test-takers in October and December than June. Obviously, one has to account for retakes but people retake in June too albeit to a lesser extent. I think there was an 18% drop from last year in June test-takers but it remains to be seen how it plays out in the end. I would think applying before the October test-takers get their results etc may provide a slight advantage, if you want to be slick about it. It may also have implications for ED applicants who apply before October especially for schools like UVA where they render a decision in 15 days. UVA won't know how many test-takers will show up for October and December etc. It will be interesting to see how UVA treats its ED applicants who apply before September 15th.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 am

*fewer

HUGE pet peeve.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:09 am

If the current trends continue, schools will just reduce class sizes (which is also the socially responsible move). But we all know how socially responsible law schools are.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 am

"FEWER" applicants...you cannot have "less" of a plural thing.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 am

confusedlaw wrote:I was wondering what schools people think will be changing their medians due to the smaller amount of applicants if any? which schools might people with borderline numbers have a better shot at?

It seems your grasp of mathematics is almost as good as your grasp of English. Schools don't "choose" their medians - this number reflects the median LSAT score of the enrolled class, that is the score that is in the middle of the pack. It is not the average (mean) but the one in the middle (http://www.mathsisfun.com/median.html). For schools to "set" or "choose" a median LSAT score would be pointless.

To answer the question you are trying to ask, though - I don't think it will make much difference at the very top of the heap - Yale will always find enough 17X+'s to fill its seats. You may see a slight difference in the middle of the pack (think tier two schools) and it won't matter at the bottom either. Keep in mind that some 1/3 of LSAT takers have, historically, not attended any law school.
Last edited by DocHawkeye on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:26 am

*tier

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:26 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:

It seems your grasp of mathematics is almost as good as your grasp of English. Schools don't "choose" their medians - this number reflects the median LSAT score of the enrolled class, that is the score that is in the middle of the pack. It is not the average (mean) but the one in the middle (http://www.mathsisfun.com/median.html). For schools to "set" or "choose" a median LSAT score would be pointless.

To answer the question you are trying to ask, though - I don't think it will make much difference at the very top of the heap - Yale will always find enough 17X+'s to fill its seats. You may see a slight difference in the middle of the pack (think teir two schools) and it won't matter at the bottom either. Keep in mind that some 1/3 of LSAT takers have, historically, not attended any law school.

It seems your grasp of douchebaggery is almost as good as your grasp of spelling.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”