addendums and other app questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
magicdonquan

addendums and other app questions

Postby magicdonquan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Hello, all. So I am beginning to finalize everything I need for my applications, and have a few questions. I'm sure some of you could be of much needed assistance.

1. So I'm kind of trying to figure out the appropriateness for certain addenda. For example, regarding GPA. My GPA was not very low, but I feel it could have been a significantly higher had I not worked a full-time job my first two years of college. Worth writing an addendum for?

2. Also regarding my LSAT score. There is an 8 point difference between my 2 scores, which I understand is substantial and worthy of an addendum. The main reason for the big difference was simply stress - I was just under a lot more pressure during the first time taking the exam. I also do have a history (aside from these 2 scores, 2 ACT scores) of mediocre/low standardized test scores. Should I include this?

3. Disclosing all criminal-related matters. I was arrested (written arrest) when I was 18. I went through a diversion program and did 10 hours of community service. First and only misdemeanor offense. Write about it?

4. And finally, my second year of college I received an honor's scholarship, one of which only seven students at the school are granted every year. This scholarship waived my entire year's tuition. Where and should I include this on the application?

Thanks!

Dany

Re: addendums and other app questions

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:51 pm

1. No. Plenty of applicants work and have great grades, and if your GPA isn't that low, you don't want to give them a pile of things to read.

2. It depends. Some schools will require you to write an addendum if you have a score jump over a certain amount (usually 7 points higher.) I would look at the schools' websites to see. If they don't require it, I wouldn't write it. Almost all schools take your highest score anyway. As for your test history, it depends what all your test scores were and how well you did in undergrad. But you probably shouldn't write it.

3. Always disclose.

4. If you have an "Honors" or "Awards" section, put it there. If not, you can list it under your college in the "Education" section.

magicdonquan

Postby magicdonquan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks! that is helpful

about the addendum regarding the GPA question: what if there is a clear upward-grade trend from the first two years of undergrad (working full time) to the last two (not working). Worth mentioning in an addendum?

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:58 pm

magicdonquan wrote:Thanks! that is helpful

about the addendum regarding the GPA question: what if there is a clear upward-grade trend from the first two years of undergrad (working full time) to the last two (not working). Worth mentioning in an addendum?

I wouldn't write a whole addendum about it but instead include on my resume that those jobs were full time--write 40 hrs/week next to your job title. The adcomm will see that was likely the factor which affected your GPA.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:25 pm

What was your GPA from the first two years, the second two years, and cumulatively?

magicdonquan

Postby magicdonquan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:23 pm

First two years: 3.4
Last two years: 3.7
Cumulative: 3.56

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Hm, I'd say there's not enough of a difference in between your last two years and cumulative to warrant an addendum for that. I wouldn't write one, and would just make sure that the job is clearly labeled as full-time on your resume.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”