LSATs Administered June 2011 NOSEDIVED

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Real Madrid

Re: LSATs Administered June 2011 NOSEDIVED

Postby Real Madrid » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I hope Michigan goes to 168.

Maybe I should anonymously email Dean Z this link so she knows to relax their standards a bit from the outset? :lol:

Keeper1125

Postby Keeper1125 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:47 pm

PDaddy wrote:Let's hope the momentum isn't counter-productive. Just as the typical law student tends to believe he will make the top-10% of his class, law students might see this as the perfect time to apply precisely because there are fewer applications...causing a spike in applications. It's only a matter of time before they are back up. So I must say paradoxically that, if you want to apply, this is the year to do it; yet it might not be the year to do it precisely because it is the year to do it.

I think the effect of the increase in negative reporting on law school prospects will vastly outweigh any blowback effect. I'd be willing to wager LSAT takers continue to decrease next year.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Real Madrid wrote:I hope Michigan goes to 168.

Maybe I should anonymously email Dean Z this link so she knows to relax their standards a bit from the outset? :lol:

Believe, (s)he's fully aware of it. Law schools administrators have full access to LSAC data. It's far more comprehensive than what we see. A datum "Dean Z" would know, and I'd love to see, is the number of "first-time" LSAT test-takers because it is far more indicative how many actual applicants there is likely to be in the next cycles.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Keeper1125 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Let's hope the momentum isn't counter-productive. Just as the typical law student tends to believe he will make the top-10% of his class, law students might see this as the perfect time to apply precisely because there are fewer applications...causing a spike in applications. It's only a matter of time before they are back up. So I must say paradoxically that, if you want to apply, this is the year to do it; yet it might not be the year to do it precisely because it is the year to do it.

I think the effect of the increase in negative reporting on law school prospects will vastly outweigh any blowback effect. I'd be willing to wager LSAT takers continue to decrease next year.

I agree. The VAST MAJORITY of people that have considered law school don't suddenly change their minds based on the number of LSATs administered.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Or it might be the year to do it because people think it is not the year to do it because it is the year to do it. Or or or it might not be the year to do it because people think it is the year to do it because it is not the year to do it because it is the year to do it.

Fuck my head hurts.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm sure some people might apply (or apply to more reach schools) because of the data, but I think it's incredibly unlikely that number will even begin to approach the raw number of people that no longer exist in any particular score band. I have no data to support that opinion, however. :lol:

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:20 pm

KevinP wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
That would be nice.

--ImageRemoved--

Source: http://lsac.org/LSACResources/Publicati ... EC2010.pdf

You know what I see when I read this? 175 as the 98th percentile. :?

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:25 pm

CastleRock wrote:You know what I see when I read this? 175 as the 98th percentile. :?

98th percentile for applicants, but I guess not overall test takers... 171 was 98th percentile for June 2011

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:35 pm

CastleRock wrote:
KevinP wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
That would be nice.

--ImageRemoved--

Source: http://lsac.org/LSACResources/Publicati ... EC2010.pdf

You know what I see when I read this? 175 as the 98th percentile. :?

That chart is really a buzzkill if you get my drift.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:--ImageRemoved--

:P

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:57 pm

I think it might still be a bit premature to celebrate; all I know is I'm definitely going to watch the data for the number of October LSATs administered closely.

confusedlaw wrote:I hope cornell goes to 167

Hopefully this.

CastleRock wrote:You know what I see when I read this? 175 as the 98th percentile. :?

Sure, in terms of applicants. But I think the good news is that the drop in LSATs administered last year translated into a drop across all score bands accordingly in terms of applicants (175+ stayed at 2% in both columns even though the total decreased). I'm hoping for the same effect due to the decreased number of tests takers in June and hopefully October.

thedive

Postby thedive » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:37 am

What goes through the minds of nearly 1000 people as they apply with sub-140 scores? Sometimes I think there should just be a set minimum LSAT score needed to apply..or the ABA could finally just step up and set a cap on the amount of graduates allowed each year and be done with it.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:54 am

thedive wrote:What goes through the minds of nearly 1000 people as they apply with sub-140 scores?

My GPA is a solid 3.1 and I had to work all through undergrad and I was super involved in volunteer work, like the one clean-up day I did during orientation, and my aunt worked as a secretary in the English department there so I have name recognition and I played a varsity sport in HS and I'm from the south so they can add to their geographic diversity and I don't test well so I'll explain that to them and....

Numero uno: This is my dream, and you can't fulfill your dream if you think all negative about test scores and stupid stuff. I was born to be in front of a judge.

If you're really interested, this is one of the best threads on it IMO. And by best, I mean you'll lol.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:57 am

Real Madrid wrote:

I'm sure some people might apply (or apply to more reach schools) because of the data, but I think it's incredibly unlikely that number will even begin to approach the raw number of people that no longer exist in any particular score band. I have no data to support that opinion, however. :lol:

What I'd be interested in knowing is how many students who were actually granted admission over the last few cycles elected not to attend. Those are the students who might be re-taking the LSAT and/or reapplying, though I don't know if it would be at a game-changing rate.

I would also be interested in knowing how many people have been waiting for exactly this drop in LSAT's/applications before they applied. Without some sort of survey it would be difficult to know. If I were an applicant now, I would not get too excited about all of this for another year or so. If the trend continues, mission accomplished for those trying to steer students away from law school.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
thedive wrote:What goes through the minds of nearly 1000 people as they apply with sub-140 scores?

I was born to be in front of a judge.

Timothy McVeigh said the same thing. lol. Just kidding...but you left that open.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:04 am

KevinP wrote:I think it might still be a bit premature to celebrate; all I know is I'm definitely going to watch the data for the number of October LSATs administered closely.

Hopefully this.

Sure, in terms of applicants. But I think the good news is that the drop in LSATs administered last year translated into a drop across all score bands accordingly in terms of applicants (175+ stayed at 2% in both columns even though the total decreased). I'm hoping for the same effect due to the decreased number of tests takers in June and hopefully October.

Unrelated to LSAT percentiles because many people take the LSAT but do not apply, even in normal years. 98th percentile is about 170-172 right?

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:13 am

PDaddy wrote:
KevinP wrote:I think it might still be a bit premature to celebrate; all I know is I'm definitely going to watch the data for the number of October LSATs administered closely.

Hopefully this.

Unrelated to LSAT percentiles because many people take the LSAT but do not apply, even in normal years. 98th percentile is about 170-172 right?

98 seems to be 171 for most of the 2010 tests, I believe. Earlier someone said October was at 171 and I know December was at 171.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Yep. I took the February 2011 test, got a 170, and it was the 97%.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 pm

170 is 97th. At least it was in June '11.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

what i want to know from that chart is the 4% who apply with sub 140 numbers. who applies to law school with a 136. those are probably some great personal statements:

"I like the color red. My shoes are red. Stanford is red. I can wear my red t-shirt. I love ponies. It's raining. Law is pretty! The end."

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:what i want to know from that chart is the 4% who apply with sub 140 numbers. who applies to law school with a 136. those are probably some great personal statements:

"I like the color red. My shoes are red. Stanford is red. I can wear my red t-shirt. I love ponies. It's raining. Law is pretty! The end."

That'd make a great Y250, if you keep going.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 pm

citykitty wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:what i want to know from that chart is the 4% who apply with sub 140 numbers. who applies to law school with a 136. those are probably some great personal statements:

I thought it was 250 characters..... Look at Yale, making you write novels just to apply.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Those sub-140 applicants probably apply to the bottom TTTTs (won't name them because of lawsuit threat, but you know what schools I am talking about); and it does not matter what their personal statements say. Bottom TTTTs' admission officers only care that they are Americans with a pulse that have access to lots of money via student loans.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
citykitty wrote:

I thought it was 250 characters..... Look at Yale, making you write novels just to apply.

That's going to be on the 2015 applications. "You must tweet @YLSadmissions with your statement of why you'd like to attend Yale law."

Exeter

Postby Exeter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Am I the only one who noticed the 170 scorer who retook and then scored between "130-139"? He must have taken the exam for someone and pulled the switch being talked about in the Social Room.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”