International Transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
winning

International Transcript

Postby winning » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi all,

I graduated and received my B.A. from a U.S. undergrad institution, but I also studied abroad at an international institution in Egypt. Now, my home campus did not sponsor the program. Rather, I took a quarter off and enrolled in a semester program at the Egyptian university.

I received hours for my coursework, which are reflected on my official transcript from my home institution. But my transcript only shows the number of hours I received, not the name of the courses or the grades. I did not receive a degree for the program.

I know LSAC asks that any transcripts from foreign institutions where you did not complete over a year of coursework should not be included on the CAS report. However, I am not clear on some law schools' requirements.

For example, Chicago's website says:

"If you attended a foreign undergraduate institution, your foreign transcripts must be submitted through the LSAC JD Credential Assembly Service ("JD CAS"). If you completed any postsecondary work outside the U.S. (including its territories) or Canada, you must use this service for the evaluation of your foreign transcripts. The one exception to this requirement is if you completed the foreign work through a study abroad, consortium, or exchange program sponsored by a U.S. or Canadian institution, and the work is clearly indicated as such on the home campus transcript."

I'm not exactly sure where I fall in terms of Chicago's requirements. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

winning

Re: International Transcript

Postby winning » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:41 pm

any takers?

tvt86

Postby tvt86 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:49 pm

I think you should definitely send in your transcripts from the foreign school to the LSAC in your situation.

schooner

Postby schooner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm

You can also ask Chicago's admissions office what to do, though it sounds like you should request those transcripts to be sent to LSAC. Then post here for posterity.

Do grades from foreign schools during your undergrad get counted in the LSAC gpa? (asking others who might know) If fulfilling Chicago's requirements will drop your overall gpa, that would be a dilemma.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”