Application Questions (Addendum & References)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AquaGreenBean

Application Questions (Addendum & References)

Postby AquaGreenBean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm

I graduated from undergrad in Spring 2009. I was accepted and started a PT MSW program in Fall 2009. 1 month into the program I received a promotion at my place of employment and my mom was diagnosed with cancer. Due to the circumstances of not being able to take off work 24 hrs./week for an internship, and the time necessary to be a primary caretaker (on top of working full-time and being a single parent), I withdrew from grad school after only 2 months. I withdrew early enough that I was refunded part of my tuition. My grades in the 2 classes I was enrolled in are posted as "W."

Obviously, I will be submitting a transcript (and assume the W's won't impact my GPA, correct?) but should I also write an addendum? I don't want to give too much personal information, I also don't want it to come off as a pity me letter. Can I write something as simple as, "due to personal employment and family reasons I was unable to complete the MSW program."

2nd question - references. Even though I graudated in 2009, do I have to get references from professors? I did well in school (graduated with a 3.8 GPA), and before I graduated I did have 2 professors write me references to get into the MSW program, but I no longer have their contact information (or remember their names!). I have been employed at the same place for 11 years, can I just get references from my supervisors?

cinephile

Re: Application Questions (Addendum & References)

Postby cinephile » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:05 pm

I would submit an addendum to explain the withdrawal from grad school.

Submitting a recommendation from your employer sounds excellent, however, since you a still a recent graduate you should also have 1 or 2 professor recommendations. You don't remember which professors provided you with recs before? Maybe you'll have to choose different professors this time.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:07 pm

I don't think you have to go into too much detail, but what you said was very vague. Maybe something along the lines of, Due to receiving additional repsonsibilities at work and having to take care of my mother, I was unable to complete the requirements of the MSW program and withdrew.

You should try to get at least one academic letter. You have not been out of school that long, and schools like to see academic recommendations. Go on your school's website to see if you can remember their names and get their contact information. I don't think it will be the end of the world if you don't get one, but don't talk yourself out of it without even trying.

AquaGreenBean

Postby AquaGreenBean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. I feel like such an idiot going back 2 years later asking for a reference, but will suck it up and do it.

I also forgot to add another one of the questions I had - the biggest, most important one.

Right out of high school in 1997, I went out of state for college. I was young, stupid and... well those are my only excuses. I received a 1st semester transcript of a .25 (yes, you are reading that correctly a .25 not a 2.5) and had to leave the University I was attending for academic failure. Will the schools I apply to see this transcript (three F's and 1 D) or do they just see the total GPA score from LSAC?

I did the LSAC GPA calculator and with my GPA from the school I graduated from, some community college classes (another F, a D and a C but the rest all A's & B's) and the bad transcript my GPA is a 3.37. I seriously wish I could leave off the bad transcript because my GPA would be a 3.58. But I know I can't, but if they don't see the actual transcipt I might not write a GPA addendum for a 3.37, or is that low enough that I should? Hopefully if they do look at transcripts they will see that there is a 10 year time difference between my .25 and my 3.8 graduating GPA and that I am obviously serious about school now.

Also, I am not applying to any fancy schools if that matters.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:21 pm

AquaGreenBean wrote:Thanks for the replies. I feel like such an idiot going back 2 years later asking for a reference, but will suck it up and do it.

I also forgot to add another one of the questions I had - the biggest, most important one.

Right out of high school in 1997, I went out of state for college. I was young, stupid and... well those are my only excuses. I received a 1st semester transcript of a .25 (yes, you are reading that correctly a .25 not a 2.5) and had to leave the University I was attending for academic failure. Will the schools I apply to see this transcript (three F's and 1 D) or do they just see the total GPA score from LSAC?

I did the LSAC GPA calculator and with my GPA from the school I graduated from, some community college classes (another F, a D and a C but the rest all A's & B's) and the bad transcript my GPA is a 3.37. I seriously wish I could leave off the bad transcript because my GPA would be a 3.58. But I know I can't, but if they don't see the actual transcipt I might not write a GPA addendum for a 3.37, or is that low enough that I should? Hopefully if they do look at transcripts they will see that there is a 10 year time difference between my .25 and my 3.8 graduating GPA and that I am obviously serious about school now.

they will see the transcript and I would write a quick addendum.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:29 pm

AquaGreenBean wrote:Thanks for the replies. I feel like such an idiot going back 2 years later asking for a reference, but will suck it up and do it.

Write an addendum because the transcript for the first year really stands out from the rest of your grades. Luckily, it didn't drag down your GPA that much. And no, it shouldn't really affect admissions as long as your LSAT score is competitive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”