Multiple Transcripts Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GodlikeAchilles

New

Multiple Transcripts

Post by GodlikeAchilles » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi TLS,

I'm a student at the University of Chicago graduating in (hopefully) about a month at the end of the summer...

At the end of this academic year, I was one credit short of graduating (I'm graduating in 3 years instead of 4), so I decided to take a course at a state school back home and transfer it back for an elective. For whatever reason, I decided to take high-level math because I thought I might one day also pursue mathematics, and now I am in jeopardy of not passing the class and, as such, not graduating.

Here are my questions:

I'm enrolled as a Non-Degree Student at this state university -- if I do not pass the class or if I withdraw, because this technically isn't part of my undergraduate program, do I have to submit this as part of my LS applications? It will not affect my GPA at UChicago because it won't be transfer-eligible if I don't get a C or better. tl;dr: do I get a freebie?

Second question, if I do get a C, I can transfer the course back to UChicago and graduate. It will be added to my Chicago transcript as a "Pass" no matter what grade I get because transferred grades don't impact GPA at Chicago. If this happens, my GPA will remain the same (3.86). Will law schools wonder what the deal is with this "Pass" and request a transcript from the state school? If they do, and they see a C, am I in trouble? Seems like it wouldn't matter because it's not in my GPA, but who knows?

Thanks. If it matters, my top choices are Duke and Vanderbilt and I'm 166-168 on PTs.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Multiple Transcripts

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 pm

GodlikeAchilles wrote:Hi TLS,

I'm a student at the University of Chicago graduating in (hopefully) about a month at the end of the summer...

At the end of this academic year, I was one credit short of graduating (I'm graduating in 3 years instead of 4), so I decided to take a course at a state school back home and transfer it back for an elective. For whatever reason, I decided to take high-level math because I thought I might one day also pursue mathematics, and now I am in jeopardy of not passing the class and, as such, not graduating.

Here are my questions:

I'm enrolled as a Non-Degree Student at this state university -- if I do not pass the class or if I withdraw, because this technically isn't part of my undergraduate program, do I have to submit this as part of my LS applications? It will not affect my GPA at UChicago because it won't be transfer-eligible if I don't get a C or better. tl;dr: do I get a freebie?

Second question, if I do get a C, I can transfer the course back to UChicago and graduate. It will be added to my Chicago transcript as a "Pass" no matter what grade I get because transferred grades don't impact GPA at Chicago. If this happens, my GPA will remain the same (3.86). Will law schools wonder what the deal is with this "Pass" and request a transcript from the state school? If they do, and they see a C, am I in trouble? Seems like it wouldn't matter because it's not in my GPA, but who knows?

Thanks. If it matters, my top choices are Duke and Vanderbilt and I'm 166-168 on PTs.
This grade will need to be included on your LSAC transcript regardless of whether it transfers back or is part of your graduating institution gpa

GodlikeAchilles

New

Post by GodlikeAchilles » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:29 pm

I guess the obvious next question is whether or not it will matter?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:30 pm

If you feel in danger of not passing, why not withdraw now? Assuming this counts as a W/WP, not a withdraw-failing.

GodlikeAchilles

New

Post by GodlikeAchilles » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Then I'll have to wait another 6 months to have my degree and I'd rather not deal with all that.

The class isn't going HORRIBLY so I could very well pull it out with a C/C+ and be done with it...but if this C/C+ is going to be problematic in law school admissions, that would really suck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:37 pm

GodlikeAchilles wrote:Then I'll have to wait another 6 months to have my degree and I'd rather not deal with all that.

The class isn't going HORRIBLY so I could very well pull it out with a C/C+ and be done with it...but if this C/C+ is going to be problematic in law school admissions, that would really suck.
A C probably won't affect your GPA that much, but you may want to recalculate it with a LSAC grade calculator.

GodlikeAchilles

New

Post by GodlikeAchilles » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Wow that's really bad for me, haha. Maybe I'm ignorant for assuming it wouldn't count? This is a great surprise!!!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:43 pm

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:44 pm

GodlikeAchilles wrote:Wow that's really bad for me, haha. Maybe I'm ignorant for assuming it wouldn't count? This is a great surprise!!!
If you get a C in a 4 credit hour class, it would drop to about a 3.81. You'll need a better LSAT score, but Duke and Vandy are definitely within reach

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GodlikeAchilles

New

Post by GodlikeAchilles » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 pm

It's a 3-credit hour class. I need to withdraw in that case I guess...I dunno. Great...

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:55 pm

GodlikeAchilles wrote:I guess the obvious next question is whether or not it will matter?
If the letter grade appears on your transcript from the school at which you're taking the class, it will matter. If you're going to Pass, I would see if you can audit the class. If not, Withdraw as long as it won't be recorded as a punitive W.

GodlikeAchilles

New

Post by GodlikeAchilles » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Doesn't an audit show up on a transcript as neither a P or an F, just as an audit?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 pm

GodlikeAchilles wrote:Doesn't an audit show up on a transcript as neither a P or an F, just as an audit?
Audit = Taking a class Pass/Fail, so it will show up as such. At least that's how it worked at BC.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Really? At my schools an audit just showed up as an audit, neither pass nor fail as you weren't required to do any work for it, just stop by when you feel like it. It also counted for 0 credit hours, though. Check with the school you're at right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”