Is a signature required on the LSAC LOR form?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
baconpuffs

Is a signature required on the LSAC LOR form?

Postby baconpuffs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:13 pm

As the title says, I'm wondering if I have to sign under "you may inspect this letter at that school unless you have voluntarily waived this right by signing the following statement." I'm almost positive that the answer to this question is no, but a recommender sent one of mine two weeks ago (without my signature) and it has yet to be added to my account. I'm wondering if this is why.

WestOfTheRest

Re: Is a signature required on the LSAC LOR form?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:15 pm

No, you don't have to sign it. But it is HIGHLY suggested that you do.

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:16 pm

CastleRock wrote:No, you don't have to sign it. But it is HIGHLY suggested that you do.

Why is that?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:19 pm

baconpuffs wrote:
CastleRock wrote:No, you don't have to sign it. But it is HIGHLY suggested that you do.

Why is that?

Schools look more highly upon LORs that clearly weren't pre-screened by the student.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:20 pm

The letter carries more weight if you sign it, because you are waiving the right to look at the letter after the admissions process. This allows greater assurance of the validity of the letter because you won't know what the recommender actually submitted.

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:23 pm

PSUdevon wrote:
baconpuffs wrote:

Why is that?

Schools look more highly upon LORs that clearly weren't pre-screened by the student.

But signing the form doesn't preclude you from seeing it or affirm that you haven't done so, just that you won't be able to see it once you enroll. I thought it was a protection for recommenders who don't want their LORs read, not an assurance to an admissions committee that the LOR hasn't been previously read.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:24 pm

baconpuffs wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:
baconpuffs wrote:

Why is that?

But signing the form doesn't preclude you from seeing it or affirm that you haven't done so, just that you won't be able to see it once you enroll. I thought it was a protection for recommenders who don't want their LORs read, not an assurance to an admissions committee that the LOR hasn't been previously read.

Yes, I worded that poorly.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:24 pm

baconpuffs wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:
baconpuffs wrote:

Why is that?

This is correct. But supposedly (according to all the literature in LS admissions and other grad school admissions) admissions offices prefer it to be signed.

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:31 pm

CastleRock wrote:
baconpuffs wrote:But signing the form doesn't preclude you from seeing it or affirm that you haven't done so, just that you won't be able to see it once you enroll. I thought it was a protection for recommenders who don't want their LORs read, not an assurance to an admissions committee that the LOR hasn't been previously read.

This is correct. But supposedly (according to all the literature in LS admissions and other grad school admissions) admissions offices prefer it to be signed.

Fair enough; it's their world, we just apply in it. I'll be sure to sign my other two forms.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:38 pm

baconpuffs wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
baconpuffs wrote:But signing the form doesn't preclude you from seeing it or affirm that you haven't done so, just that you won't be able to see it once you enroll. I thought it was a protection for recommenders who don't want their LORs read, not an assurance to an admissions committee that the LOR hasn't been previously read.

Fair enough; it's their world, we just apply in it. I'll be sure to sign my other two forms.

FYI I signed the form and I reviewed all my LORs before my letter writers sent them. All of the writers were comfortable letting me do so and I was thankful for the opportunity. It let me put forward what I felt were my stronger LORs. Many people on TLS will tell you that signing that form means you can't look at your LORs, but as you so eloquently pointed out, this isn't so.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Yes, there is nothing to preclude you from looking at the letter. However, the recommender, if they felt bad about not giving you a stellar recommendation or didn't want the repercussions or whatever, could submit something other than what they showed you. Thus, if you signed the form, you would never know what they actually submitted. This is my understanding of the reasoning at least. Am I misguided?

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:07 pm

The waiver form merely facilitates FERPA compliance. Sign it or don't sign it: it has no effect whatsoever on your chances of admission.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”