T14Law schools that are generous with international students

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justwondering123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 am

T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby justwondering123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Does anyone know of any T14 schools that are generous in handing out tuition/ other financial sums to international students. Thanks guys. Currently researching, apart from the Harvard and Yale loans haven't had much luck.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm

I know Columbia is known for being very international-friendly. i don't know if that has anything to do with money though

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:09 pm

justwondering123 wrote:Does anyone know of any T14 schools that are generous in handing out tuition/ other financial sums to international students. Thanks guys. Currently researching, apart from the Harvard and Yale loans haven't had much luck.

What kind of international?

If you get accepted you will likely get the same scholarship opportunities as americans. This isn't necessarily true at public schools.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:22 pm

CastleRock wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:Does anyone know of any T14 schools that are generous in handing out tuition/ other financial sums to international students. Thanks guys. Currently researching, apart from the Harvard and Yale loans haven't had much luck.

What kind of international?

If you get accepted you will likely get the same scholarship opportunities as americans. This isn't necessarily true at public schools.


This is correct. You'll likely be offered the same as any other student with similar numbers. A very high LSAT may earn you a free ride at a number of schools, but you will still generally be expected to fund your own living expenses. These obviously vary by location, but are likely to be circa $20,000 per year - more if you need to include flights home.

justwondering123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 am

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby justwondering123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:24 pm

albanach wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:Does anyone know of any T14 schools that are generous in handing out tuition/ other financial sums to international students. Thanks guys. Currently researching, apart from the Harvard and Yale loans haven't had much luck.

What kind of international?

If you get accepted you will likely get the same scholarship opportunities as americans. This isn't necessarily true at public schools.


This is correct. You'll likely be offered the same as any other student with similar numbers. A very high LSAT may earn you a free ride at a number of schools, but you will still generally be expected to fund your own living expenses. These obviously vary by location, but are likely to be circa $20,000 per year - more if you need to include flights home.


i've heard NYU is meant to be generous but i'm not 100% on this.

So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:26 pm

justwondering123 wrote:So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?

No school is MORE generous to international students with money. You will be considered the same as an american student. What do you mean by generous anyways? What is your definition?

justwondering123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 am

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby justwondering123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:35 pm

CastleRock wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?

No school is MORE generous to international students with money. You will be considered the same as an american student. What do you mean by generous anyways? What is your definition?


over half of tuition paid ild say or even full ride (i understand this is extremely hard to get though) do you think with my stats its possible?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:37 pm

justwondering123 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?

No school is MORE generous to international students with money. You will be considered the same as an american student. What do you mean by generous anyways? What is your definition?


over half of tuition paid ild say or even full ride (i understand this is extremely hard to get though) do you think with my stats its possible?

Are these actual stats or hypo?

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:41 pm

justwondering123 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?

No school is MORE generous to international students with money. You will be considered the same as an american student. What do you mean by generous anyways? What is your definition?


over half of tuition paid ild say or even full ride (i understand this is extremely hard to get though) do you think with my stats its possible?

This is possible, but in no way is it guaranteed. The lower the school is ranked the more likely you will be to get this money.

justwondering123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 am

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby justwondering123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?

No school is MORE generous to international students with money. You will be considered the same as an american student. What do you mean by generous anyways? What is your definition?


over half of tuition paid ild say or even full ride (i understand this is extremely hard to get though) do you think with my stats its possible?

Are these actual stats or hypo?


well hypo's but its just for an indication.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 pm

justwondering123 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Are these actual stats or hypo?


well hypo's but its just for an indication.

With 175/3.84, I think a decent scholarship to NYU is definitely a possibility. Check lawschoolnumbers for people with those numbers. Not sure if you can search by just intl students.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 pm

justwondering123 wrote:i've heard NYU is meant to be generous but i'm not 100% on this.

So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?


About 1 in 250 test takers scores a 175+. Let's say your current university has 10,000 students. If each of them took the LSAT, there'd be about 40 with that score. It's incredibly difficult to achieve.

That said, 25% of the NYU class have a score in that range. Many of them probably have lower GPAs, but there's going to be a fair few with GPAs in or near the range you mention. To that end, I'd expect, if your hypothetical were to materialize, that you'd be offered money, but not a free ride.

justwondering123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 am

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby justwondering123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:01 pm

albanach wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:i've heard NYU is meant to be generous but i'm not 100% on this.

So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?


About 1 in 250 test takers scores a 175+. Let's say your current university has 10,000 students. If each of them took the LSAT, there'd be about 40 with that score. It's incredibly difficult to achieve.

That said, 25% of the NYU class have a score in that range. Many of them probably have lower GPAs, but there's going to be a fair few with GPAs in or near the range you mention. To that end, I'd expect, if your hypothetical were to materialize, that you'd be offered money, but not a free ride.


how much funding to you think approx if they were to materialise :)

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:02 pm

justwondering123 wrote:
albanach wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:i've heard NYU is meant to be generous but i'm not 100% on this.

So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?


About 1 in 250 test takers scores a 175+. Let's say your current university has 10,000 students. If each of them took the LSAT, there'd be about 40 with that score. It's incredibly difficult to achieve.

That said, 25% of the NYU class have a score in that range. Many of them probably have lower GPAs, but there's going to be a fair few with GPAs in or near the range you mention. To that end, I'd expect, if your hypothetical were to materialize, that you'd be offered money, but not a free ride.


how much funding to you think approx if they were to materialise :)

If you're curious about NYU they have an entire site dedicated to their funding. Go take a look.

schooner
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby schooner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:05 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?

No school is MORE generous to international students with money. You will be considered the same as an american student. What do you mean by generous anyways? What is your definition?


over half of tuition paid ild say or even full ride (i understand this is extremely hard to get though) do you think with my stats its possible?

Are these actual stats or hypo?


In his first year of undergrad, the OP got a 2:2 in the British system, which roughly corresponds to a 2.6-2.99 GPA. Also, given the quality of thinking (and connection to reality) that he has shown in his posts, combined with his dyslexia, I would be absolutely shocked if he scored above a 165.

justwondering123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 am

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby justwondering123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 pm

[/quote]

In his first year of undergrad, the OP got a 2:2 in the British system, which roughly corresponds to a 2.6-2.99 GPA. Also, given the quality of thinking (and connection to reality) that he has shown in his posts, combined with his dyslexia, I would be absolutely shocked if he scored above a 165.[/quote]

first of all in regards to the 2.2 it was first year that is the mean results in my institution, since it does not factor into our overall degree classification. Secondly i hardly thing my postings in this forum are anything to judge from. And thirdly i think its disgusting and stupid how you assume a correlation with dyslexia and a low LSAT score. If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't comment. Easy as that.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:19 pm

schooner wrote:In his first year of undergrad, the OP got a 2:2 in the British system, which roughly corresponds to a 2.6-2.99 GPA. Also, given the quality of thinking (and connection to reality) that he has shown in his posts, combined with his dyslexia, I would be absolutely shocked if he scored above a 165.


Whatever Wikipedia says, a 2:2 is in not comparable to a 2.6-2.99 GPA. A 2:2 is sufficient for admission to many Masters and PhD programs, something unlikely with a sub 3.0 in the US. The UK grading scheme cannot be directly compared and that's why the CAS don't try.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 pm

justwondering123 wrote:how much funding to you think approx if they were to materialise :)


You're playing a bit of a game here, and could figure this out if you really wanted.

You can get an idea from http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Someone like http://lawschoolnumbers.com/herewego2010/jd would be similar to your hypothetical numbers. They were offered $87k over three years.

The cost of living advertised by NYU is $71k/year. On that basis, you'd need to find $42k/year to fund a degree.

schooner
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby schooner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:30 pm

albanach wrote:
schooner wrote:In his first year of undergrad, the OP got a 2:2 in the British system, which roughly corresponds to a 2.6-2.99 GPA. Also, given the quality of thinking (and connection to reality) that he has shown in his posts, combined with his dyslexia, I would be absolutely shocked if he scored above a 165.


Whatever Wikipedia says, a 2:2 is in not comparable to a 2.6-2.99 GPA. A 2:2 is sufficient for admission to many Masters and PhD programs, something unlikely with a sub 3.0 in the US. The UK grading scheme cannot be directly compared and that's why the CAS don't try.


That chart from Wikipedia does look funny, so I looked at the sources: the Fulbright Commission and rough equivalents from University College London. The bottom line? Even if the UK and American grading systems can't be directly compared, a lower second is not considered a top grade. When American students need nearly straight As to get into the schools that the OP wants to attends, a Brit w/ middle-of-the-road grades probably isn't going to get into Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or even any of the other T14.

And by the way, no one cares that a 2:2 is sufficient for admissions to many Masters and PhD programs. I know people who are absolute idiots who have PhDs in French literature, psychology, etc. And I don't know anyone with a sub 3.0 GPA who got into an engineering, math, or hard science PhD program at a top university. We're talking about law school here. Different game.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:38 pm

Kid is really considering NYU/Columbia with a 2:2, median equivalent grades first year...? Good luck OP, work hard and prove us wrong.

To answer your question: Columbia would be the place to aim for if you'd be like the same shot at money US citizens get, assuming you get the scores.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 am

albanach wrote:Whatever Wikipedia says, a 2:2 is in not comparable to a 2.6-2.99 GPA. A 2:2 is sufficient for admission to many Masters and PhD programs, something unlikely with a sub 3.0 in the US. The UK grading scheme cannot be directly compared and that's why the CAS don't try.

According to this article, about two thirds of British university students get firsts or 2.1s:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... seven.html

So students with 2.2s are in the bottom third of UK students. According to this article, the mean GPA in the US in 2010 would have been about 3.15:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/03/05/grades

That suggests to me that students in the bottom third in the US could not have GPAs in the 3.0 range - at least, not at an average US university.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:26 am

albanach wrote:
justwondering123 wrote:i've heard NYU is meant to be generous but i'm not 100% on this.

So if i was to get a superior lsac ranking (GPA 3.8-4 approx) and 175 on the lsat do i have a chance?


About 1 in 250 test takers scores a 175+. Let's say your current university has 10,000 students. If each of them took the LSAT, there'd be about 40 with that score. It's incredibly difficult to achieve.

That said, 25% of the NYU class have a score in that range. Many of them probably have lower GPAs, but there's going to be a fair few with GPAs in or near the range you mention. To that end, I'd expect, if your hypothetical were to materialize, that you'd be offered money, but not a free ride.

FYI, this is completely false. 1/250 test-takers score a 175, not 1/250 people. There's a huge difference between the two. If I pulled 1000 randoms off the street and administered an LSAT, the mean and median would most likely be a lot lower than that of people that actually take the test. It's also more like 1/300+

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:32 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
albanach wrote:About 1 in 250 test takers scores a 175+. Let's say your current university has 10,000 students. If each of them took the LSAT, there'd be about 40 with that score. It's incredibly difficult to achieve.

FYI, this is completely false. 1/250 test-takers score a 175, not 1/250 people. There's a huge difference between the two. If I pulled 1000 randoms off the street and administered an LSAT, the mean and median would most likely be a lot lower than that of people that actually take the test. It's also more like 1/300+


I said 'test takers'. If you pulled 1,000 people off the street it's somewhat unlikely they would all be undergraduate students admitted to a half decent university would they not?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:16 am

albanach wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
albanach wrote:About 1 in 250 test takers scores a 175+. Let's say your current university has 10,000 students. If each of them took the LSAT, there'd be about 40 with that score. It's incredibly difficult to achieve.

FYI, this is completely false. 1/250 test-takers score a 175, not 1/250 people. There's a huge difference between the two. If I pulled 1000 randoms off the street and administered an LSAT, the mean and median would most likely be a lot lower than that of people that actually take the test. It's also more like 1/300+


I said 'test takers'. If you pulled 1,000 people off the street it's somewhat unlikely they would all be undergraduate students admitted to a half decent university would they not?

Reread bolded. Still not the same

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: T14Law schools that are generous with international students

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:28 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Reread bolded. Still not the same


You're splitting hairs. It's quite obvious I offered an example to demonstrate the difficulty of achieving a 175+ score. It's also patently obvious that 10,000 undergraduates at a half decent school will be much closer to the actual body of test takers than 10,000 plucked off the street.

My post was clear - a 175+ on the LSAT is very hard to achieve. The OP has been told that before and was told it again in this thread.

The OP knows it's difficult. Whether it's one if 250 or one in 300 is irrelevant to the issue at hand. The OP has already been told his hypothetical would be more valid if he had an actual LSAT score.

If you actually have something useful to contribute, go ahead now's your chance.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov, geoffreym and 5 guests