"I have different motivations for going to law school"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bronx Bum

"I have different motivations for going to law school"

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 am

LOLWTF I see this comments a TON on this site. What in GOD'S name does that mean? Are you looking for government work or PI? BEcause you don't want biglaw?

I think a lot of people fail to realize that PI/government jobs are extremely difficult to get and you are certainly not the only ones gunning for those jobs.

FeelTheHeat

Re: "I have different motivations for going to law school"

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:17 am

Cool

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am

Bronx Bum wrote:LOLWTF I see this comments a TON on this site. What in GOD'S name does that mean? Are you looking for government work or PI? BEcause you don't want biglaw?

I think a lot of people fail to realize that PI/government jobs are extremely difficult to get and you are certainly not the only ones gunning for those jobs.

I think the statement assumes that most people are going into law because they think it will net them money and prestige, which is probably true. Anything to distinguish one's self to adcomms.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am

But that doesn't make the person unique at all. Most people would be fine with a government gig.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:28 am

Bronx Bum wrote:But that doesn't make the person unique at all. Most people would be fine with a government gig.

:roll: There a point to all this?

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 am

Yeah, why do people say it like they're unique? You couldn't fuckin tell by reading the OP?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 am

Bronx Bum wrote:Yeah, why do people say it like they're unique? You couldn't fuckin tell by reading the OP?

Why did you start this thread like you are unique?

Postby 071816 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:33 am

Who gives a shit??

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:33 am

Bronx Bum wrote:Yeah, why do people say it like they're unique? You couldn't fuckin tell by reading the OP?

This is one of the shittiest threads I've ever seen on TLS, a forum that has seen multiple "what backpack should I buy for law school" threads.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:45 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

This is one of the shittiest threads I've ever seen on TLS, a forum that has seen multiple "what backpack should I buy for law school" threads.

Hijacking to something a little more useful:

So, what type of backpack should I buy for law school? I'm thinking a roller bag, possibly just a small suitcase.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:49 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Hijacking to something a little more useful:

So, what type of backpack should I buy for law school? I'm thinking a roller bag, possibly just a small suitcase.

Nothing says sexy like a roller bag.

ak13

Postby ak13 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:50 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

if i could thumbs up just one response in this entire forum, it would be this one.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:55 am

The how to act at orientation one is pretty fucking stupid, too.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:56 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:The how to act at orientation one is pretty fucking stupid, too.

+1

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:57 am

Is it weird to bring my parents to admitted students weekend?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:06 am

sundance95 wrote:Is it weird to bring my parents to admitted students weekend?
I once knew a black person. Actually, he might have been Hispanic lol but anyway he was the gardener at my family's summer home. Can I claim URM? *launches into diatribe on the INJUSTICE of THE SYSTEM when told no*

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:21 am

1. Not all PI work is hard to get. You wanna work for DOJ Honors? Yeah, that's hard. Otherwise, any 501c3 org will do.
2. Some law schools look for people interested in PI work because they want a more diversified class. If only 10% of the graduates do PI at the law school you are applying to, then saying you are interested in PI makes you ever so slightly more marketable to that law school.

Also, I just happen to think biglaw is for soulless bastards. But that's just me, and maybe an adcomm member or two. ;)

JK btw, for those soulless bastards out there who don't have a sense of humor. :-)

DietCoke

Postby DietCoke » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:The how to act at orientation one is pretty fucking stupid, too.

NEED LINK NAO. This one has epic lulz all over it.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:35 am

DietCoke wrote:

NEED LINK NAO. This one has epic lulz all over it.

TLS delivers

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:11 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

Wait! I've got something for this!

Um... Maybe I'll just go get my tactical turtleneck instead.

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:26 am

Lol OP has turned tail, let's give him/her some space.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:52 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:1. Not all PI work is hard to get. You wanna work for DOJ Honors? Yeah, that's hard. Otherwise, any 501c3 org will do.
2. Some law schools look for people interested in PI work because they want a more diversified class. If only 10% of the graduates do PI at the law school you are applying to, then saying you are interested in PI makes you ever so slightly more marketable to that law school.

Also, I just happen to think biglaw is for soulless bastards. But that's just me, and maybe an adcomm member or two. ;)

JK btw, for those soulless bastards out there who don't have a sense of humor. :-)

Wait wut? Which pi jobs are easy to get? Even legal aid (which is amongst the lowest) is barely hiring. I know this girl who went to a T14, had extensive P.I. internship experience, and couldn't get a job with legal aid. Tell me where these "non difficult" P.I. jobs are.

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 pm

I really like anecdotes that begin with "I know this person who went to a t14" It's so vague. Also, why does everyone think going to a t14 gets you the job of your dreams? What were her grades? Where did she apply? One organization, one city, or everywhere? Also having an internship can be bad too. She may have made a terrible impression on those around her. Maybe she had unrealistic expectations, maybe she did poor work, maybe no one wanted to work with her because she started every sentence with " At [insert t14 school name]"

But I will agree PI isn't the easiest thing to get, it's competitive too. But like small firms, they often have a different hiring criteria than grades and school rank. They want someone who will work, who will connect with clients, who will stay more than two years.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 pm

I hate law students.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:25 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:I hate law students.

This

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”