Cumulative GPA is in. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawHungry

New

Cumulative GPA is in.

Post by LawHungry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Ok so I went to two different colleges to finish my degree and both colleges have submitted the transcripts and my final GPA on LSAC shows as a 3.4...

I think it is low because I have heard many people talking about GPA has to be above 3.5.. so any info as to how well i should do to get into T2 &T3 schools... of my choice.

thanks.

Verity

Silver

Re: Cumulative GPA is in.

Post by Verity » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 pm

LawHungry wrote:Ok so I went to two different colleges to finish my degree and both colleges have submitted the transcripts and my final GPA on LSAC shows as a 3.4...

I think it is low because I have heard many people talking about GPA has to be above 3.5.. so any info as to how well i should do to get into T2 &T3 schools... of my choice.

thanks.

It's too low for HYS, that's for sure, and probably too low for CCN without ED (even with ED it will be tough). Depending on your LSAT, MVP will be your best possibilities, or money anywhere outside of that.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:35 pm

It's over and done with, OP. Focus on the October LSAT. It's all you have the power to affect at this point.

3.5 isn't a cut-off at T2 or T3, far from it. Score high enough on the LSAT and you can get money at great T1 schools - 15 down, even, with an LSAT of 168 or so. What are your PTs?

LawHungry

New

Post by LawHungry » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:08 am

Verity wrote:
LawHungry wrote:Ok so I went to two different colleges to finish my degree and both colleges have submitted the transcripts and my final GPA on LSAC shows as a 3.4...

thanks.

It's too low for HYS, that's for sure, and probably too low for CCN without ED (even with ED it will be tough). Depending on your LSAT, MVP will be your best possibilities, or money anywhere outside of that.

Since I am a new member, all those acronyms just confused me, :( CCN,ED,HYS?
descartesb4thehorse wrote:It's over and done with, OP. Focus on the October LSAT. It's all you have the power to affect at this point.

3.5 isn't a cut-off at T2 or T3, far from it. Score high enough on the LSAT and you can get money at great T1 schools - 15 down, even, with an LSAT of 168 or so. What are your PTs?
and yes I have signed up for the OCTOBER test, but balancing work and prepping I might re-consider a later test and still send my applications out.. for the same cycle, is that reasonable?

Peeblepop

New

Post by Peeblepop » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:14 am

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Play with this (that's what she said).
Last edited by Peeblepop on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:14 am

CCN refers to Columbia, Chicago, and NYU Law Schools. They're considered peer schools with similar reputation and job placement power.

HYS refers to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford Law schools, the elite of the elite law schools.

ED means early decision. If you apply ED, you're binding yourself to that school if they choose to accept. This can help your chances at acceptance, but it also has downsides (for instance you won't get any scholarship money and you won't be able to haggle your financial aid offers).
and yes I have signed up for the OCTOBER test, but balancing work and prepping I might re-consider a later test and still send my applications out.. for the same cycle, is that reasonable?
December is the absolute latest you should take an LSAT for the same cycle. Ideally, you would want to wait till the next year if you did take it in December because January-submitted applications have their downside. For instance, this cycle Chicago Law School over-accepted in their early waves and basically rejected nearly everyone who applied in January (even HYS acceptees, full ride recipients at Columbia, etc).

If you're serious about getting into a top school, you should consider taking time off to focus ONLY on the LSAT for a few months.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 am

bhan87 wrote:If you're serious about getting into a top school, you should consider taking time off to focus ONLY on the LSAT for a few months.
That's unnecessary.

LawHungry

New

Post by LawHungry » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:33 am

bhan87 wrote:
CCN refers to Columbia, Chicago, and NYU Law Schools. They're considered peer schools with similar reputation and job placement power.

HYS refers to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford Law schools, the elite of the elite law schools.

ED means early decision. If you apply ED, you're binding yourself to that school if they choose to accept. This can help your chances at acceptance, but it also has downsides (for instance you won't get any scholarship money and you won't be able to haggle your financial aid offers).
December is the absolute latest you should take an LSAT for the same cycle. Ideally, you would want to wait till the next year if you did take it in December because January-submitted applications have their downside. For instance, this cycle Chicago Law School over-accepted in their early waves and basically rejected nearly everyone who applied in January (even HYS acceptees, full ride recipients at Columbia, etc).

If you're serious about getting into a top school, you should consider taking time off to focus ONLY on the LSAT for a few months.
thanks for the clarifications, Yes, I do realize my gpa is too low for the ivy schools, my aim is for schools in NY, like Fordham, st johns, brooklyn.. etc, and yes thanks for the predictor that has provided me with alot of sense as to where to hit in terms of my LSAT score.. and you are right, I should take a few months off to just focus on the test.

but, do you think December is still a good choice? as to i can apply for the admission for next fall '12... and do you think that URM would have some benefit in me applying considering i am from (south east asia). I will begin my Pts, this week and see where I am hitting and prolly reconsider my test date, thanks for the info!!1 much appreciated

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:36 am

LawHungry wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

thanks for the clarifications, Yes, I do realize my gpa is too low for the ivy schools, my aim is for schools in NY, like Fordham, st johns, brooklyn.. etc, and yes thanks for the predictor that has provided me with alot of sense as to where to hit in terms of my LSAT score.. and you are right, I should take a few months off to just focus on the test.

but, do you think December is still a good choice? as to i can apply for the admission for next fall '12... and do you think that URM would have some benefit in me applying considering i am from (south east asia). I will begin my Pts, this week and see where I am hitting and prolly reconsider my test date, thanks for the info!!1 much appreciated
Asian isn't URM. Sorry to burst your bubble. Even if it were, you have to be an American citizen to get URM is conventional TLS wisdom. HTH.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:39 am

LawHungry wrote: thanks for the clarifications, Yes, I do realize my gpa is too low for the ivy schools, my aim is for schools in NY, like Fordham, st johns, brooklyn.. etc, and yes thanks for the predictor that has provided me with alot of sense as to where to hit in terms of my LSAT score.. and you are right, I should take a few months off to just focus on the test.

Applying with a December test is not the best choice, but it isn't a horrible choice either. It only impacts you in a noticeable way at a few schools that start accepting really early (like Berkeley). So, if you want the absolute ideal time period to apply, it's very early in the cycle. But, if you need to delay to get a better score or finish working the kinks out of your apps, then applying later is better.

I don't believe SE Asian ethnicities qualify for URM status. The only minorities that seem to get boosts are African-Americans, Hispanic, and Native Americans (AAs get a significantly bigger boost than the other two).

colbarfran

New

Post by colbarfran » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:57 am

Is this wesbsite even reasonably accurate?
Peeblepop wrote:http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 am

Many schools have rolling admissions, so if you wait to take the December test, you may want to apply the following cycle.

Peeblepop

New

Post by Peeblepop » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 am

colbarfran wrote:Is this wesbsite even reasonably accurate?

If you're a splitter, it's less predictable, but otherwise, it's close enough for the sake of getting a general idea.

Keeper1125

New

Post by Keeper1125 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:18 pm

colbarfran wrote:Is this wesbsite even reasonably accurate?

for most cases it's quite useful to help you calibrate your expectations. there's a part of the site that measures actual outcomes (derived from LSN) against its predictions, read that for further info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”