. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Last edited by Betharl on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GATORTIM

Silver

Re: How would law schools view me if I quit my job?

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:43 pm

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:55 pm

They don't care.

Really.

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:11 pm

tl; dr

wont matter.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:16 pm

you don't need to quit your job to study for the LSAT and do your apps....... keep the job with the money and save up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:34 pm

3 answers:

1. Other posters saying nobody will care are incredibly wrong and are acting on typical TLS stock phrases. Northwestern WILL care if you quit. Other than that, it is most likely not a big deal. Note: the poster calling you a loser is correct though.

2. No. Stop. Don't. If you have a financial job that you don't hate then please save yourself the agony of law school. With your 3.64, if you hit 168 and if you have average lor/softs then your top law school predictor "admit" is South Cal ranked 18. Then you will fight like hell to make class median and will have about a 50 percent chance of doing so... and if that happens you might land a job that might pay you what your making now, but even then you most likely won't.

I know other posters will say two things in response, "+1" and "No man...it's not about money, just do whatever you think you will enjoy" their is some merit to the "do law if law is what you want" but It is likely going to feel like a mistake in 3 years.

3. I do think that if you ignore my advice from 2 that it is worth quitting and prepping. You don't need to but if you managed to hit a 172 then your top "admit" on law school predictor is Cornell and that SoCal admit starts to look like a big amount of $$$. So if quitting will bag you an extra 4 lsat points then quit.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 pm

admisionquestion wrote:3 answers:

1. Other posters saying nobody will care are incredibly wrong and are acting on typical TLS stock phrases. Northwestern WILL care if you quit. Other than that, it is most likely not a big deal. Note: the poster calling you a loser is correct though.
We're not incredibly wrong. We're mostly right. Also, if your numbers are good, Northwestern likely won't even care if you spin your resume and PS correctly.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:3 answers:

We're not incredibly wrong. We're mostly right. Also, if your numbers are good, Northwestern likely won't even care if you spin your resume and PS correctly.
Your right that you were mostly right. Overly rageful forum posts are easy--and im annoyed of "tls wisdom" being passed around thoughtlessly...(Of course still thankful for thoughtful tls wisdom)

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm

They same way they view anyone with a pulse and a promissory note.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm

To me, the question is, how will law firms see it? I don't think it looks very good that you are only staying at jobs a few months.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 pm

This question is stupid because you don't need to quit your job to study the LSAT. After you take your LSAT you are looking at a year or more gap between school. Are you going to go back a year, or just bum around for a year.

I assume this is just you not wanting to be an adult. Grow up.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:35 pm

I agree with the, if you quit you will not have a job for that year and that it will look shady to employers. However, I strongly dissagree with people saying it is stupid to quit to study for LSAT. I wish I had quit my committments and really focused on LSAT for a month. One month of real studying could net you well over 100,000 in less debt 100,000/160=625 per hour...better than big law...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:37 pm

admisionquestion wrote:I agree with the, if you quit you will not have a job for that year and that it will look shady to employers. However, I strongly dissagree with people saying it is stupid to quit to study for LSAT. I wish I had quit my committments and really focused on LSAT for a month. One month of real studying could net you well over 100,000 in less debt 100,000/160=625 per hour...better than big law...
Or you could just start 3 months ahead and study an hour or two a night.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:47 pm

sarahh wrote:To me, the question is, how will law firms see it? I don't think it looks very good that you are only staying at jobs a few months.
It likely won't look that different from only a year of work. If the grades and interview skills are there, it won't be a hindrance. If they are borderline, it may have been a hindrance to have such limited work experience anyway.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:I agree with the, if you quit you will not have a job for that year and that it will look shady to employers. However, I strongly dissagree with people saying it is stupid to quit to study for LSAT. I wish I had quit my committments and really focused on LSAT for a month. One month of real studying could net you well over 100,000 in less debt 100,000/160=625 per hour...better than big law...
Or you could just start 3 months ahead and study an hour or two a night.
TCR. If you quit, you're retarded or lazy

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:03 pm

Ugh the advice here is wrong (at least some of it)
admisionquestion wrote:
2. No. Stop. Don't. If you have a financial job that you don't hate then please save yourself the agony of law school. With your 3.64, if you hit 168 and if you have average lor/softs then your top law school predictor "admit" is South Cal ranked 18. Then you will fight like hell to make class median and will have about a 50 percent chance of doing so... and if that happens you might land a job that might pay you what your making now, but even then you most likely won't.
Dumb. You got a 159 cold, that's great. You could break 170. Now if you do have a 3.65 and a 167 when all is said and done then stay where you are. If you can get admitted to a good school though, go for it. Of course, don't just quit. See the process through.

Here is what you do:

Keep your job. While working, begin studying for he LSAT. Look at pithypike's guide, take it slow. Do the bibles and some practices tests. Do drills during the weekdays at night for an hour or two. On weekends, take a practice test, 2 as you get closer to the actual day. Aiming for the October test seems reasonable. Do not quit your job and sit around and study for a year. A year! That's absurd.

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 pm

OP Here....

I appreciate all the responses, even if the advice has been somewhat varied.

I would like to add an additional point- I would not simply bum around for a year. I would study very hard for the LSAT for ~2 months and then get my apps in. After that, I would find something to do. Probably a combination of part time work (perhaps at the same fin services company I worked at out of school) and charity/community service work until law school started. Another option would be working at a local law firm in some capacity. Does this change things at all?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”