With all this bad news, what field of law to go into?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scammedhard

Re: With all this bad news, what field of law to go into?

Postby scammedhard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 pm

chimp wrote:Except the "underlying science" in copyright and trademark law is nonexistent.

Excellent point. I guess some business knowledge might even be more useful than science in "copyright and trademark law."

But for most IP fields, science is essential to land a job.

Actually, do you know what is the distribution of attorneys working in the different IP fields?

Postby 071816 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm

scammedhard wrote:
chimp wrote:Except the "underlying science" in copyright and trademark law is nonexistent.

Excellent point. I guess some business knowledge might even be more useful than science in "copyright and trademark law."

Actually, do you know what is the distribution of attorneys working in the different IP fields?

I don't, but this appears to vary significantly by region. For example, in the SF bay area much of the IP work seems to be patent related whereas soft IP seems to constitute a significant chunk of IP work in L.A.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:18 pm

chimp wrote:
scammedhard wrote:

I don't, but this appears to vary significantly by region. For example, in the SF bay area much of the IP work seems to be patent related whereas soft IP seems to constitute a significant chunk of IP work in L.A.

As it would, considering almost all "entertainment law" is IP law.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:01 pm

chem wrote:
firemed wrote:
I have been wondering about that. 3-4 more science courses and I could apply to take the patent bar... but it seems like it would be a waste for me to do so if I am going to be beaten out again and again by people with BSes and MSes, you know? So I am wondering if it is worth it.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=160252

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129609

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128609

Thank you!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”