worth a diversity statement?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
confusedlaw

worth a diversity statement?

Postby confusedlaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 am

Wondering if I should bother writing about this, I'm a nonurm from a big city was forced from my junior year of highschool to start working 35 to 40 hours a week after my mother was laid off due to the economy. On top of working to help support my family I've volunteered as a youth sports coach since I was 15 as well as been involved in creating a youth sports organization to my area

I kno that doesn't count as legit work experience where I would have a chance at NU but just curious. My personal statement deals with my coaching experiences a

BackToTheOldHouse

Re: worth a diveresity statement?

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:20 am

A lot people around here seem to think the DS is just for URMs, but I think it can be used to show other diversity as well. It's not completely clear what you mean when you say "forced my junior year of highschool to start working 35 to 40 hours a week . . ." Who forced you? I imagine that you mean the circumstances forced you, but it's unclear.

If you feel like your experiences have given you a different/unique/diverse perspective on life, then I say go for it. But remember, it's not just about writing a page worth of shit. Your DS needs to be as well written as your PS if it is to offer anything to your application package.

$0.02 from an 0L.

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:26 am

I was forced by both the circumstances and some family pressure. My family was no longer able to support me financially and I needed money s living in a big city I would need money tpo take the bus, and other expenses. My parents had also suggested that if I had time before practice for athletics and school to get a job and I would give a part of my paycheck to my parents to help with the expenses around the house

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:33 am

Try writing it. The real risk of writing a DS is coming off assuming you're diverse when you're not (e.g. someone thinking being a suburban WASP is good material for a DS), but I think yours could work. It could also be done poorly and come off badly as a DS so I think the best thing to do is write it and have it critiqued by people on TLS. They won't mince words if they feel like it's not material that should be used for a DS.

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks a lot for the input, I def will post for a critique but I wanted to make sure it was worth writing it before I spent the time actually crafting and writing it. I'm not even sure how much the ds would help me get into some of my reach schools (boalt cornell usc ucla) but I feel like it would be an added way to represent myself

firemed

Re: worth a diversity statement?

Postby firemed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Worth writing, make sure it is critiqued.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 pm

Yeah, having to work full time in high school to help support yourself can be the basis for a solid diversity statement. Get it critiqued, but it's a valid essay to write.

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:15 am

Well in highschool it wasn't full time but part time, e15 to 25 a week depending on practice, I was on two hs sports teams and would work between school and practice and half of my check would go to help my parents with bills l

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”