LSAC international student- do they count foreign 'prestige'

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justwondering123

LSAC international student- do they count foreign 'prestige'

Postby justwondering123 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:45 pm

After searching on the various posts of this forum I read that along with ranking the individuals academic performance, LSAC also ranks the quality of their institution that they graduated from i.e. either superior, above average, average or below average etc. I was just wondering whether this is true or not as it would seem highly unfair to do so.

bhan87

Re: LSAC international student- do they count foreign 'prestige'

Postby bhan87 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Now how did I know you were the OP just by reading the topic title.

I imagine a quick browse through lsac.org would be able to answer this question. I doubt that even if they did, it'd make a very significant impact outside perhaps kudos to those graduating with 1st class from Oxford, Cambridge, etc.

icpb

Postby icpb » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Oxbridge graduates a lot of students each year; it graduates almost as many students as six of the Ivies combined. Therefore, Oxbrdige may give you a boost similar to that Ivy undergrads receive, but the boost may be negligible beyond Oxbridge.

justwondering123

Postby justwondering123 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:58 pm

bhan87 wrote:Now how did I know you were the OP just by reading the topic title.

I imagine a quick browse through lsac.org would be able to answer this question. I doubt that even if they did, it'd make a very significant impact outside perhaps kudos to those graduating with 1st class from Oxford, Cambridge, etc.

Well I've looked and can't find anything. Sorry, but I'm trying to gather up as much information as possible. Hence as I can't find anything on LSAC I was just wondering if any members on here had experienced it. That's all.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:58 pm

My guess is Oxbridge graduates may receive a boost similar to HYP graduates.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:54 pm

justwondering123 wrote:After searching on the various posts of this forum I read that along with ranking the individuals academic performance, LSAC also ranks the quality of their institution that they graduated from i.e. either superior, above average, average or below average etc. I was just wondering whether this is true or not as it would seem highly unfair to do so.

Both the question and the previous answers are confused. For applicants with foreign UG degrees, LSAC ranks your UG degree 'superior,' 'above average,' 'average,' or 'below average.' LSAC does NOT rank the quality of your institution. However, in ranking your degree, people believe that LSAC takes into account not just your grades and degree type (1st class honours, etc), but also what institution you got the degree from. This makes sense, because in some countries and universities an 80 is an average grade, in others it is an exceptional grade.

Nobody really knows what LSAC does, though. People have made assumptions on the basis of the results they have received. LSAC has said almost nothing to explain the system they use.

Previous posters seem to be talking about whether law schools (not LSAC) will consider the prestige of your UG institution. I think they're right - it won't be a factor, unless you go to Oxbridge, which might help you a very little.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”