Drug violation question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hypothetically

Drug violation question

Postby hypothetically » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could weigh in on a hypothetical scenario. Let's say you are traveling in someone else's car and that person is carrying illegal drugs. If you are pulled over by the police (let's say for speeding) and they decide to search your friend's person and discover the drugs, are you liable for possession as well as your friend?

Also, if you were in this position, would you confront your friend and ask him not to carry drugs before the trip -- taking into account the fact he is your ride and is putting you up for the weekend?

Thanks you the input...

cinephile

Re: Drug violation question

Postby cinephile » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:39 pm

hypothetically wrote:would you confront your friend and ask him not to carry drugs before the trip -- taking into account the fact he is your ride and is putting you up for the weekend?

Yes, or don't go with him if you're not comfortable.

But I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:46 pm

this sounds like a vegas trip to me...

Take a different car or dont go IMHO. Why even risk it? Because it's uncomfortable or you've been planning it for awhile? Not having to bring this issue up to the BAR (I dont know but C+F can be a pain if something is recent I think) beats not going. Plus a law school wont like it if you get arrested right before class starts lol. Not to say that you will be liable or have any repercussions in the unlikely event you do get pulled over, but hey man, it can happen and it would be a shame if it did. Interested to see what others say...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:49 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm

-
Last edited by Moomoo2u on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glock

Postby Glock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:04 pm

hypothetically wrote:Hi there,

I was hoping someone could weigh in on a hypothetical scenario. Let's say you are traveling in someone else's car and that person is carrying illegal drugs. If you are pulled over by the police (let's say for speeding) and they decide to search your friend's person and discover the drugs, are you liable for possession as well as your friend?

Also, if you were in this position, would you confront your friend and ask him not to carry drugs before the trip -- taking into account the fact he is your ride and is putting you up for the weekend?

Thanks you the input...

Shall I expose myself to criminal charges today or not expose myself to criminal charges today? What a difficult question.

Possession is whatever the cop decides it is when you get busted. You may get the charges dropped or get acquitted, but have fun explaining the arrest for the rest of your life.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks you the input...

The police could arrest you, but I doubt the charges would hold up w/ a decent crim defense attorney, and a client who shuts his fucking mouth

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Keep the contraband out of sight and unsmoked/used on the trip, and no fuzz will have probable cause to search your car. Visual and/or olefactory evidence are the only 'factors' legally sufficient (at least in my state) for a copper to search w/out consent.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:51 pm

in theory a cop could tune you up however he wants, so this adds an unpredictable element. you could be liable depending on the cop's version of reality. but when these things go down, it's very very unlikely that you will take the hit for the driver with a good crim def atty, even if the cop fingered you, and even less likely you'd ever get caught. i hope that this message is prompted by the fear of carrying a legit hardcore drug and not some powder puff shit like pot. if you're this scared of marijuana god help you. there are ton of people on this forum who smoke weed every day. i've carried ganj by car from the heartland to every coast and the gulf of mexico, and onto airplanes and crossing usa borders. the odds of you ever get busted with a little halfling leaf shoot up exponentially if you're not very smart, but generally you have nothing to fear. what drug are you so scared of exactly? and what amount? i wouldn't want to be passenger in a car that's porting a kilo of coke, no, but if we're talking an eighth of maui wowie then get your panties out of a bunch, the odds of anything happening to you are absurdly low.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:10 pm

^Single best post I've read on TLS, nothing excluded. Cheers, bud!

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Be more careful of what you post on forums.
Last edited by Hopefully2012 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 pm

lol
Last edited by robotclubmember on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Robot, that was definitely not my intention, perhaps a PM would have been more appropriate (I've since edited away my post). I genuinely was concerned with how much information you were giving on here. You seem like an extremely intelligent person based solely on the arguments backed by evidence you've provided on these forums... so I don't want some, what seemed to me to be, careless comments to hinder your eventual success. Only best wishes from me robot.

Also, apologies to OP... You're not likely to get caught but I wouldn't risk it, like most of the advice given in this thread.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Please forgive my lack in forum etiquette, I'm a "noob" at this sort of thing.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:09 pm

lol you a cool cat brotha no sweat

parsi

Postby parsi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks you the input...

The real question here: are you trying to go to the river for a sick weekend of boating and raging? If so, take the ride. If you're a pansy, then dont

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 pm

anewaphorist wrote:^Single best post I've read on TLS, nothing excluded. Cheers, bud!

Word!

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:41 pm

ew necro

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Do you have any idea how dumb you have to be to get your car searched?

You'll be fine. Chill, bro, chill.

edit: You don't seem like the type, but don't smoke weed in the car. I know of a few people caught with possession through vehicle searches. None of them were busted for drugs that weren't theirs and all of them were smoking weed in the car or drunk driving which prompted the search.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:18 pm

hypothetically wrote:

Only if you want to seem like a huge dork and get made fun of pretty much all weekend.

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:56 pm

If you have to ask your probably the type of person who would help a friend carry a kilo over the border, just cause your a nice guy like that.

I really hope, for your sake, that your a 15 year old kid who is afraid of insulting your 16 year old friend who just got his license, and are fearing that he will ban you from his mom's Honda Accord.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”