Reminder: TLS will never delete your posts.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Reminder: TLS will never delete your posts.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:18 am

Not if you ask. Not if you want us to. Not for any reason. I'm posting this because people ask me 2-3x a day to wipe their posts, and I'm getting tired of saying no to each person individually. The golden rule is this: If you don't want something on the Internet, then don't post it in the first place.

If you are going to post a thread about, say, whether or not to disclose your marijuana arrests (the correct answer is yes, by the way - always disclose), it's probably best to make your username something anonymous rather than, say, ZachPJohnsonUCLA89.

Just a friendly public service announcement.

bk1

Re: Reminder: TLS will never delete your posts.

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:20 am

All those people whose posts you deleted that now say [SPAM] are gonna be butthurt over this rule change.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:28 am

SBL wrote:Not if you ask. Not if you want us to. Not for any reason. I'm posting this because people ask me 2-3x a day to wipe their posts, and I'm getting tired of saying no to each person individually. The golden rule is this: If you don't want something on the Internet, then don't post it in the first place.

If you are going to post a thread about, say, whether or not to disclose your marijuana arrests (the correct answer is yes, by the way - always disclose), it's probably best to make your username something anonymous rather than, say, ZachPJohnsonUCLA89.

Just a friendly public service announcement.

Why is this?

Especially if someone has a legitimate reason for asking (i.e. they have been outed, or they didn't realize that everything on TLS is published to Google results unlike many other internet sites), it seems to me that it is questionable at best that TLS staff will never comply with what--in some cases--may be perfectly reasonable requests or demands along this line.

I do think it is good that you (as a mod) are at least making an announcement about this, as I think that more clear warnings are probably indicated given the policy. Also, this potentially allows dialogue where it seems otherwise to be unavailable--I had sent a question and request along this line to the TLS2009 contact mailbox listed for service-related communications and never received a reply. Hopefully it will be updated if it is simply an out-of-date email address, and hopefully if it is not out-of-date staff will become more responsive to TLS posters'/members' communications.

Best,
Lawquacious
Last edited by Lawquacious on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:28 am

...not a bad rule really. When did this go into effect?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:29 am

bk1 wrote:All those people whose posts you deleted that now say [SPAM] are gonna be butthurt over this rule change.

lol

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:29 am

I can think of at least one thread in recent memory that got deleted due to someone posting something lulzy. What gives?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:31 am

With this policy you will deprive this forum of literally hundreds of pictures of my dong. I agree that we need to keep users accountable to their posts, but at what cost?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:53 am

Edited for dongage. :lol:

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:56 am

You should add that users can edit their own posts (which deletes them unless they have been quoted).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:07 am

shoeshine wrote:You should add that users can edit their own posts (which deletes them unless they have been quoted).

Yeah, that's true, except on locked threads, which can sometimes be a pain IMO. But I suppose it does add to the 'accountability' component of posting on here.

It makes me nervous to have stuff that is published to Google (i.e. TLS posting history) that I don't have full (or any) control of, but to some extent that is a fact of life of the internet in general. Though I also question a blanket policy that doesn't allow for consideration of what may be reasonably requested exceptions in certain circumstances, especially where the content was created by the person requesting the assistance.

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:09 am

shoeshine wrote:You should add that users can edit their own posts (which deletes them unless they have been quoted).

Yeah but some people take screen shots of posts they know will probably be edited. Happened to me once :(

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 am

tyro wrote:

Yeah but some people take screen shots of posts they know will probably be edited. Happened to me once :(

Christ some people need a life.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”