What are some good softs I should take up?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dkang

What are some good softs I should take up?

Postby dkang » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Hello,

I have a decent LSAT score and a high GPA, but that's about it so far. I have about a year to apply and I was trying to build up some softs. I usually work 35 hours a week but other than that, what other things do you suggest I do to built up my application?

thanks

flexityflex86

Re: What are some good softs I should take up?

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:25 pm

a better

work on confidence, wardrobe and interpersonal skills.

non-stereotypical employment is always good if you can't get something prestigious such as bartending or yoga instructing.

Postby 071816 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:26 pm

dkang

Postby dkang » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Do You think community service would be the best way to spend me time?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Join the military

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:02 pm

TFA, Peace Corps or Military

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Found your own non-profit.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Become POTUS.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:29 pm

firemed wrote:Found your own non-profit.

this one would be great i think and I might even try it! not sure where to start though...time for some research.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:39 pm

jared6180 wrote:
firemed wrote:Found your own non-profit.

this one would be great i think and I might even try it! not sure where to start though...time for some research.

be careful, don't just file papers to start your own non-profit and then accomplish nothing. It's douchey and if I was an adcomm it would piss me off. Don't underestimate that working 35 hours a week, presumably to pay bills, tuition and the like, is a good soft. It is your life. talk about that. They will notice if all of a sudden, a few months before law applications, you suddenly find that you have a deep yearning to help some underprivileged group.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Do what you enjoy. During my last year of school and subsequent year off, I asked myself this question (because I had a decent idea that I wanted law school), and then I realized that I should take one of my interests and pursue it thoroughly rather than view every post-graduate potentiality as resume crack. So I translated a book of contemporary French philosophy that I had been reading, and in so doing I think I have a pretty unique, although not mind-shockingly altruistic or exotic, soft. And it's cool to see your name in print, for sure. Hopefully it turns out to help my application demonstrably, but at the very least it shows that I can deal with almost any text rigorously.

Find something that you've done for a while and enjoy, and then take that activity to the next level (whether regional, state-wide, national, or international). You don't have to cure cancer. And honestly, thousands of people participate anually in the Peace Corps or TFA, so that's not really winning you any "uniqueness" points, only maybe enclosing yourself in a pretty unsincere box that they've seen time and again. Then again, if teaching is what gets you hard, then TFA is a decent soft that you should pursue, and your dedication will hopefully come across in your PS. But don't take up something just because you think it will increase your chances of getting into law school. You'll be miserable doing it and especially disconsolate afterwards if you're not admitted to that dream school.
Last edited by anewaphorist on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Do what you enjoy. During my last year of school and subsequent year off, I asked myself this question (because I had a decent idea that I wanted law school), and then I realized that I should take one of my interests and pursue it thoroughly. So I translated a book of contemporary French philosophy, and in so doing I think I have a pretty unique, although not mind-shockingly altruistic or exotic, soft. And it's cool to see your name in print, for sure. Hopefully it turns out to help my applicatoin demonstrably, but at the very least it shows that I can deal with almost any text rigorously.

Find something that you've done for a while and enjoy, and then take that activity to the next level (whether regional, state-wide, national, or international). You don't have to cure cancer. And honestly, thousands of people participate anually in the Peace Corps or TFA, so that's not really winning you any "uniqueness" points, only maybe enclosing yourself in a pretty unsincere box that they've seen time and again. Then again, if teaching is what gets you hard, then TFA is a decent soft that you should pursue, and your dedication will hopefully come across in your PS. But don't take up anything just because you think it will increase your chances of getting into law school. You'll be miserable doing it and especially disconsolate afterwards if you're not admitted to that dream school.

That seems pretty exotic to me lol. I tip my hat off to you. I'm sure it'll get some adcomms to remember your name, which is exactly what your PS should do.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Blacksmithing. I would learn blacksmithing. Someone won the McArthur Genius grant for being a really good blacksmith a few years back.

Postby 071816 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 pm

I'd definitely recommend becoming involved in motorized chariot racing an/or Japanese sword polishing.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:13 pm

kwais wrote:be careful, don't just file papers to start your own non-profit and then accomplish nothing. It's douchey and if I was an adcomm it would piss me off. Don't underestimate that working 35 hours a week, presumably to pay bills, tuition and the like, is a good soft. It is your life. talk about that. They will notice if all of a sudden, a few months before law applications, you suddenly find that you have a deep yearning to help some underprivileged group.

Something I would like to do is provide discounted/free automobile service, and repair on a need basis. I know how to do some of it myself, but I would need to employ a certified mechanic or find one to volunteer, and purchase some used tools or have them donated. There is a little 2 bay garage close to my house that would be perfect for such an operation. Just a wild idea probably, but at least worth looking into.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 pm

It seems interesting/unique enough to be valuable to your application, sure. You'll need to do an excellent job relating it (in your PS and application) to some interest in law or showing how it demonstrated some area of skill that merits an admission offer. Maybe you're interested in patent law because of some experience with mechanical engineering/auto mechanics. Maybe you're an aspiring union representative who, having earned an appreciation for what auto workers do, now dream of serving as president of the UAW. Whatever dude, just be sincere about it, and adcoms will pick up on it. Trying to squeeze a whole bunch of little-to-no dedication pursuits into your 1.5 page resume will only leave you with nothing to write about.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:49 am

anewaphorist wrote:It seems interesting/unique enough to be valuable to your application, sure. You'll need to do an excellent job relating it (in your PS and application) to some interest in law or showing how it demonstrated some area of skill that merits an admission offer. Maybe you're interested in patent law because of some experience with mechanical engineering/auto mechanics. Maybe you're an aspiring union representative who, having earned an appreciation for what auto workers do, now dream of serving as president of the UAW. Whatever dude, just be sincere about it, and adcoms will pick up on it. Trying to squeeze a whole bunch of little-to-no dedication pursuits into your 1.5 page resume will only leave you with nothing to write about.

You don't need to tie it in. Just throw it on your resume and move on. I help prepare the dead for burial sometimes- and I didn't feel the need to work it into my PS. I just do it because I wanted to help, and it just so happens it is a soft.

Not everything in your life needs to relate to "the law" or going to law school.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:00 pm

I've been volunteering at the local science museum for 2+ years. It's usually only once a month, and it's fun and easy.

It's not prestigious, but it's a nice-sounding line on the resume, and I've been doing it long enough that I can use people there as references. Plus I get a free museum membership.

I didn't mention it in my essay, and I would be doing it even if I weren't applying to law school. I do it because I want to.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”