Is it worth going to law school for me? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
robotclubmember

Silver

Re: Is it worth going to law school for me?

Post by robotclubmember » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
robotclubmember wrote: How many resumes would you guess were from T-15? How many were from currently enrolled JDs or newly graduated JDs? And thank you for sharing.
I count 3 from 3Ls and 1 from a 2L, no resumes from newly graduates of t-15. Keeping in mind that this is a part-time job towards the middle/end of summer, I would hope all the t-15 graduates were able to find some type of employment better than part-time $10/hr over the course of the last 2 months.
yeah probably bottom of the barrel types. if i'm bottom of the barrel at the end of 1L i'm not gonna stick around to take my chances though...
ahduth wrote:For what it's worth buddy, I think you're just bringing the accountant's mindset to the table, and people don't like that. Accountant's get no love, but they'd perish without us.
whoa are you an accountant too? and yes i agree that the accountant doesn't get enough love. but they're usually the first ones that have their facts right.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:56 pm

1. Generally if you have to ask this question, OP, then you don;'t want to be an attorney enough for it to be "worth it."
2. You can easily bring up your 3.5 GPA in your two remaining years of college if you put in half the effort that you'll end up putting into law school.
3. A 151 diagnostic is fine. You can learn how to do well on the LSAT with a lot of practice.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
ahduth wrote:For what it's worth buddy, I think you're just bringing the accountant's mindset to the table, and people don't like that. Accountant's get no love, but they'd perish without us.
whoa are you an accountant too? and yes i agree that the accountant doesn't get enough love. but they're usually the first ones that have their facts right.
I was a Fortune 500 corporate accountant, and it sounds like you were big 4. My job largely consisted of... telling senior managers to fuck off, and telling junior accountants that they were fantastic and to keep it up. Very different from auditing. Ironically telling senior managers to fuck off is a rather unique skill - that's why I'd not be hiring a lot of people fresh out of school. Being a lawyer seems to involve a nuanced ability to tell powerful people to fuck off.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 pm

ahduth wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:
I was a Fortune 500 corporate accountant, and it sounds like you were big 4. My job largely consisted of... telling senior managers to fuck off, and telling junior accountants that they were fantastic and to keep it up. Very different from auditing. Ironically telling senior managers to fuck off is a rather unique skill - that's why I'd not be hiring a lot of people fresh out of school. Being a lawyer seems to involve a nuanced ability to tell powerful people to fuck off.
lol you'd be surprised how often my job involved telling senior managers "you're wrong, here's why." but that's because they never did any of the work themselves. working in accounting in a large corporate/firm environment will either put a pair of nuts on you real fast, or take what nuts you did and shove them straight back up your asshole, depending on how you respond to the pressure.

and yes, i think that the fact that most of the 0L's on this site have never had to argue a point in front of someone that matters shows. this isn't polisci 201 anymore... you actually need facts to make your point now.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Wow, this thread delivers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:06 pm

robot's posts are awesome if you read them in Lieutenant Commander Data's voice. Consider the following from the "Serious Decisions" thread:
robotclubmember wrote: just because i tore your ass to shreds when you tried insisting we're in an economic "recovery" and the economy is "fundamentally okay" doesn't mean you gotta be salty about it. i bid you good fortune sir.
I can't help but hear Data saying that.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:02 pm

"Budget cuts to worsen California court delays, officials say"
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 5877.story
San Francisco court officials have predicted a five-year wait for lawsuits to get to trial. A divorce, which used to be finalized in five months, may now take 18 months, courts officials said. The court has sent layoff notices to 40% of its employees.
While technically the broader economy is not in a recession, the legal recession continues. I wonder how many of those layoffs are lawyers.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:20 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:robot's posts are awesome if you read them in Lieutenant Commander Data's voice. Consider the following from the "Serious Decisions" thread:
robotclubmember wrote: just because i tore your ass to shreds when you tried insisting we're in an economic "recovery" and the economy is "fundamentally okay" doesn't mean you gotta be salty about it. i bid you good fortune sir.
I can't help but hear Data saying that.
Some of the opinions on this site are a paradox, sir. They cannot exist in real space or time.

They are designed so that each approach taken to understand them will spawn an anomalous solution. The anomalies are designed to interact with each other, linking together to form an endless and unsolvable puzzle. That is TLS.

Lol but seriously didn't mean to sully the Lt. Cmmdrs' good name by sounding all dickish. But I did mean to sound dickish. There ain't no mercy in this dope show.

navraj_ak

New

Post by navraj_ak » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:30 am

Robot, are you a virgin?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:35 am

navraj_ak wrote:Robot, are you a virgin?
Please qualify the underlined term. There are different kinds of virgins, to wit: vaginal, penal (emphasis mine; pun intended), anal, oral, inter alia.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”