Public Relations pre-law advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kamik

Public Relations pre-law advice

Postby kamik » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:13 am

Hi,
I have recently decided to major in public relations and want to know how this will affect my chances of getting into law school. Is this major looked down on or does it not matter? I thought about double majoring in political science but since I have not taken classes for either of those majors yet I would have to go to summer school. So should I stick with the public relations major and pick up a philosophy minor or do the double major. Also for the Pr major it requires internships, how will law schools look at this, like would they count pr internships as experience?
Thank You

Knock

Re: Public Relations pre-law advice

Postby Knock » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:19 am

kamik wrote:Hi,
I have recently decided to major in public relations and want to know how this will affect my chances of getting into law school. Is this major looked down on or does it not matter? I thought about double majoring in political science but since I have not taken classes for either of those majors yet I would have to go to summer school. So should I stick with the public relations major and pick up a philosophy minor or do the double major. Also for the Pr major it requires internships, how will law schools look at this, like would they count pr internships as experience?
Thank You

It doesn't matter in the least. Pick whatever you are most interested in and which you can maintain a high GPA. PR Internships will be seen as a run of the mill soft, most applicants have them. It's definitely good to have some things you can put under the extracurricular part of your application though, so they are probably worth doing.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:19 am

The LARGE majority of the time your major doesn't matter. If you have the numbers and an overall decent application, they aren't going to care. As long as it's not basket weaving or something. On the other hand, if you got a great GPA in something hard (i.e. not PR or PoliSci) that may give you a tiny boost. So pick a major that you can get a good GPA in and will enjoy.

Internships (even though people bash work experience here) are always good - mostly because that's where you make connections. But don't expect them to be impressed by a summer internship at some PR firm - if you have the numbers they'll consider you, if you don't it won't matter if you did PR for the Queen.

kamik

Postby kamik » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:19 am

ok thanks. I was a science major, but I found PR to be interesting so I'm happy that it won't be a huge factor. and is it smarter to just take extra philosophy classes for the lsat than to double major in political science?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:46 am

kamik wrote:ok thanks. I was a science major, but I found PR to be interesting so I'm happy that it won't be a huge factor. and is it smarter to just take extra philosophy classes for the lsat than to double major in political science?

Philosophy classes won't help you on the LSAT. Logic, depending on what they teach you in logic, might be marginally helpful, but marginally so, and it'll be the only one. I took a philosophy logic class after I took the LSAT and found it to be a class where half the kids were bored and got A's without showing up, reading the textbook, or studying, while the other half floundered, receiving C's despite showing up, reading the textbook, and studying. A few random souls were in the middle B range, but very few, and I'm guessing if they took the LSAT they would be the ones who actually learned the marginally relevant part to help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”