the lucky 20% at YLS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anstone1988

the lucky 20% at YLS

Postby anstone1988 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Who (given that they didn't attend an Ivy or Stanford for undergrad) can get into YLS straight from undergrad?

Renzo

Re: the lucky 20% at YLS

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Someone who has a 4.0 and 180, and is a chess grand master?

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 pm

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:32 pm

anstone1988 wrote:Who (given that they didn't attend an Ivy or Stanford for undergrad) can get into YLS straight from undergrad?

I think I have a decent shot. (According to various calculators I'm 50/50)

173 (june 2011)
4.0 from Top 20 undergrad (non-ivy, non-stanford)
Strong softs (I think), I'm a D1 athlete

Applying to Yale, along others, in Oct, I'll post how it goes

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:43 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
anstone1988 wrote:Who (given that they didn't attend an Ivy or Stanford for undergrad) can get into YLS straight from undergrad?

173 (june 2011)

The calculators don't have great predictive power for certain schools, such as Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. I think you have a decent shot but you never know. Yale's unique admissions process (if you're not an auto-admit, your application gets read over by several law professors, unlike most law schools) guarantees unpredictability. There's a little bit luck of the draw involved with getting professors who will look at your application favorably.
Last edited by Knock on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Knock wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

173 (june 2011)

The calculators don't have great predictive power for certain schools, such as Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. I think you have a decent shot but you never know. Yale's unique admissions process (if you're not an auto-admit, your application gets read over by several law professor, unlike most law schools) guarantees unpredictability. There's a little bit luck of the draw involved with getting professors who will look at your application favorably.

Yeah, Yale is tough for sure. But what also helps me is that I'm from the South, so thatll be good for their geographic distribution hopefully

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:48 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Knock wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

173 (june 2011)

The calculators don't have great predictive power for certain schools, such as Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. I think you have a decent shot but you never know. Yale's unique admissions process (if you're not an auto-admit, your application gets read over by several law professor, unlike most law schools) guarantees unpredictability. There's a little bit luck of the draw involved with getting professors who will look at your application favorably.

Yeah, Yale is tough for sure. But what also helps me is that I'm from the South, so thatll be good for their geographic distribution hopefully

Does Yale really care about geographic diversity? Anyone know *how much* they care, if at all?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:51 pm

kulshan wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Knock wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

173 (june 2011)

Does Yale really care about geographic diversity? Anyone know *how much* they care, if at all?

It's not going to make you or break you. Undoubtedly, Yale has enough qualified applicants from every geographic region to fill their class. If you look at their Class of 2013 profile, you can see things they do care about.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:58 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Knock wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

173 (june 2011)

Not a soft.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:20 am

Knock wrote:
kulshan wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Knock wrote:The calculators don't have great predictive power for certain schools, such as Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. I think you have a decent shot but you never know. Yale's unique admissions process (if you're not an auto-admit, your application gets read over by several law professor, unlike most law schools) guarantees unpredictability. There's a little bit luck of the draw involved with getting professors who will look at your application favorably.

It's not going to make you or break you. Undoubtedly, Yale has enough qualified applicants from every geographic region to fill their class. If you look at their Class of 2013 profile, you can see things they do care about.

Yeah, Yale Law is definitely trying to up their slam poet/Eagle Scout count for the upcoming year though.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 am

AztecaRex wrote:
Knock wrote:

Yeah, Yale Law is definitely trying to up their slam poet/Eagle Scout count for the upcoming year though.

Yale Law wrote:]Members of the class include:

A Marine Corps combat correspondent
A marionette-maker
A student responsible for releasing 720,000 ladybugs in lower Manhattan
A professional magician

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 am

thederangedwang wrote:
Knock wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

173 (june 2011)

Flame? Right? Right!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:42 am

CastleRock wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:Yeah, Yale is tough for sure. But what also helps me is that I'm from the South, so thatll be good for their geographic distribution hopefully

Flame? Right? Right!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

LOL. Yeah, I doubt Yale cares much about Division 1 athletics either - too common. Now, if the poster had been in an Olympic team, or really achieved domething in D1, that might be a different story.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”