What are my chances of attending a decent law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JoseAllDay

What are my chances of attending a decent law school?

Postby JoseAllDay » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:35 pm

I have done a lot of stupid things in my life. The only thing I regret is screwing around during my undergrad years. More than ever I see how it has effected my chances at various opportunities.

Sadly I was pretty shocked to see my LSAC GPA listed at a 2.3. My degree GPA is listed at 2.78. My degree was in Communications.

I am now scheduled for the Oct 1st LSAT and I am putting in the work studying for it.

Stats:
I have been out of undergrad for 4 years.
I am a 30 year old Male who was born in Mexico but is a US Citizen.
Since my undergrad years I have matured immensely. I now understand priorities and I no longer slack off, this is shown by my promotions at my current job.

I want to be an attorney I have always wanted to be one. I would like a school to give me the opportunity to earn that privilege.

That being said do I have a chance a decent school? I would really like to study in Chicago or the Midwest if possible.

Any feedback would be highly appreciative.

reepS

Re: What are my chances of attending a decent law school?

Postby reepS » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:41 pm

have you taken any practice tests?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:42 pm

Take the actual LSAT then come back for advice.

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:43 pm

I took my first practice test and scored 160

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:45 pm

You really need to get that LSAT to a 167+ for some midwest schools to take a look at you. How long ago did you graduate? Do you have work experience? If you graduated college a few years ago and have solid work experience then that may help schools over look that gpa

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:47 pm

I graduated in 2007. I work in Healthcare Marketing for the last 3 years.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:48 pm

work hard on the lsat and score as high as you possibly can because you are towing an anchor called "gpa"

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:35 am

Yeah, although it's pretty clear that a 2.3 is bad news, you have some good factors going for you:
a) you seem have some pretty solid work experience
b) you say you've matured (they will want strong evidence of that)
c) you got a 160 on your first PT, so 170 isn't out of the question
d) a lot of schools in the midwest/Chicago regions are LSAT-splitter friendly, as opposed to, say, CA schools (although a 2.3 is still pushing it)

The response many might have is something along the lines of "If you're 30 and already have a job and have been promoted a bunch, then stick with that because law school is a huge investment of money and is a big risk compared to that career." IF you really, truly want to be a lawyer, and can put in enough work to get your LSAT to the very good/elite level, then do it. You'll get a shot to show whatever school gives you a chance that you're a very different person than you were in UG.
But you need to be prepared to go all the way with the LSAT, including retaking if your October scores aren't as high as you need them to be, which would possibly even mean postponing to the next cycle.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:34 am

JoseAllDay wrote:I took my first practice test and scored 160

Was that completely cold (got that score without going through any prep books) and timed? If so, that is a truly amazing 1st score.

As you already know, a 2.3 is going to really really bring you down. But if you can get about a 175, I think you'd get some decent money at some lower T1 schools, and amazing scholarships at some T2 schools. I increased 21 points from my 1st PT after doing the bibles and 30 PTs. Just put everything you got into studying for that test.

G' luck.

edit: also, there are probably some threads about doing an addendum about your gpa if you're interested in that.

also, check out lawschoolpredictor.com and lawschoolnumbers.com if you haven't already

edit 2: just checking out lsn real quick for you, and some hope:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FinanceLawyer
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/SplitRomney
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dlpelletier

The first two got real lucky in their cycles (coming from someone who got pretty lucky himself). The third one should be a more realistic view of your cycle, if you can get the numbers that is.

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:04 am

It was not cold. I have been studying some of the books. I get the Logic Bible sometime this week(all local bookstores were sold out, had to order online.).

Realistically I will go anywhere I am just hoping to stay in the Midwest.

Does applying early Nov/Dec effect my chances at all?

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:33 am

Don't apply later than that; the advice generally given to me (which I more or less ignored but wish I hadn't) was that if you're taking the October LSAT you should have everything on your app (resume, PS, LORs, actual application) ready to go when you get your score. some people say that applying day one gives you a big boost (not sure if it's particularly better than end of october, but it can't hurt, though it isn't worth taking to LSAT before you're ready), but you should really have things out by... I think thanksgiving is a good marker. after that it starts to hurt I think.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:42 am

You will also probably want to check out some of the URM threads as well. I think being Mexican gives you a boost but I could be wrong. Man study for the lsat as best you can and if you can get above a 170 you could be in pretty decent shape.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:39 pm

FlanAl wrote:You will also probably want to check out some of the URM threads as well. I think being Mexican gives you a boost but I could be wrong. Man study for the lsat as best you can and if you can get above a 170 you could be in pretty decent shape.

Oh wow, I completely missed that. Mexicans are definitely URM.

Also, applying early (before Thanksgiving) is pretty universally supposed to be a small boost, so if you can send out all your stuff before then that's great, but just some fyi, it didn't seem to make a difference for me when I applied at the end of January.

Jose: even if it wasn't truly cold, that's still a damn good score. Mind if I ask how many you got wrong in LG? If that was your biggest struggle, like it is for most people when they start, you are definitely going to get a 170+ after you get the hang of it. If you can get close to a 175, I'd imagine you can get into a few lower t14s, and some good money at some of t15-30.

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:36 pm

I guess there is not much to say or conclude until we know my LSAT score.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and the encouragement.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”