Question regarding sending pre-application materials to LSAC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SnoDog

Question regarding sending pre-application materials to LSAC

Postby SnoDog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey guys, I'm in the process of preparing my materials to submit to LSAC in order to begin sending applications after my Oct. LSAT.

I'm currently trying to have my transcripts from my UG colleges sent to LSAC, but am having some trouble figuring out the best way to do this. On the LSAC website, it instructs me to use their designated "transcript request form" that is to "accompany" my official transcript sent directly from my UG institution to LSAC. Now my UG university sends transcripts directly through an online transcript request webpage. So I can easly have them send my transcript to LSAC, but then how would I be able to have them include the signed LSAC transcript request form to accompany the transcript when they send it?

Is there an easy method to this, or would I just have to ask my UG university to send the form along with it? Not sure what they would say, but I was assuming someone on here had to deal with this and get some insight. Thanks!

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: Question regarding sending pre-application materials to LSAC

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Does your UG send an official or unofficial copy of your transcript to LSAC via email? I made the mistake of assuming that I could just request my official transcript online. Then it turned out I needed to sign a document to request it.

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Well I don't think my UG sends any transcript via e-mail, unofficial or otherwise. I can view my unofficial UG transcript on my student account on my UG's website, but that's about it.

The only transcripts my UG actually SENDS (regardless of destination) are all hard copy, sealed official documents. I can have them send it to ME, but then LSAC wouldn't accept it, since they require transcripts be sealed documents sent directly from the issuing institution. So I'm wondering how I would get the LSAC's "transcript request form" into the official transcript envelope that my UG would be sending to LSAC. :?

YYZ

Postby YYZ » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:51 pm

I used the transcript request form on my UG's website, and the transcript made it to LSAC just fine. I did not use the LSAC transcript request form.

For LORs however, I used the request form on the LSAC website.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:56 pm

YYZ wrote:I used the transcript request form on my UG's website, and the transcript made it to LSAC just fine. I did not use the LSAC transcript request form.

I remember this for LORs. I never used the LSAC request form for transcripts, and instead just requested it straight through the UG. I'm not even sure why LSAC has that form for transcripts in the first place.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:22 pm

YYZ wrote:I used the transcript request form on my UG's website, and the transcript made it to LSAC just fine. I did not use the LSAC transcript request form.

+1

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:32 am

The instructions state:

"It is your responsibility to request an official copy of all required transcripts to be sent to LSAC directly from the registrar's office of each institution. You must use LSAC's Transcript Request Forms for this purpose."

and:

APPLICANT:
This form must be signed and must accompany your transcript in order for Law School Admission Council (LSAC) to match the transcript to your file.

I've sent LSAC an email but haven't received a response yet. I agree Schope, I don't really see why they really need us to use these forms as it seems it's just more of an unnecessary hassle, but you guys just had transcripts sent without using the forms and haven't had any problems from LSAC? Does anybody else have any experience with this? Thanks for the replies guys.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:04 am

I might be missing something, but can't you call the registrar's office at your UG and tell them over the phone to include the LSAC form? You could get that form to them with one of these:

Taffybear2

Postby Taffybear2 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:04 am

You are going to need to either mail or fax your undergrad registrar the attachment to send along to LSAC when they send your transcript. When my undergrad just sent the transcripts they would not accept them without this form. This was my experience and it was pretty recent within the past month. Good thing you are taking care of this now. My registrar took literally 8 months to get there stuff together and finally send my transcripts after i requested them because they lost the attachment form. I wanted to hurt someone.

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Thank you guys for the help. I now have all of my UG transcripts on file at LSAC and my LoRs are just pending submission from my professors.

Now I know that LSAC will calculate a cumulative GPA index with their own methods, but when/how do I initiate this? They have all of my transcripts now, but when I click on "Academic Summary Report", a window pops up and just says "Transcript analysis data not on file." Do they just do this on their own at some time after receiving my last transcript?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:37 pm

SnoDog wrote:Thank you guys for the help. I now have all of my UG transcripts on file at LSAC and my LoRs are just pending submission from my professors.

Now I know that LSAC will calculate a cumulative GPA index with their own methods, but when/how do I initiate this? They have all of my transcripts now, but when I click on "Academic Summary Report", a window pops up and just says "Transcript analysis data not on file." Do they just do this on their own at some time after receiving my last transcript?

It can take them a couple weeks to generate an academic summary report after all your transcripts are in.

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
SnoDog wrote:Thank you guys for the help. I now have all of my UG transcripts on file at LSAC and my LoRs are just pending submission from my professors.

It can take them a couple weeks to generate an academic summary report after all your transcripts are in.

Ah I see, thanks. So basically there's nothing else for me to do other than wait once my transcripts are in, correct? It will be done automatically and nothing for me to initiate?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:10 pm

SnoDog wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Ah I see, thanks. So basically there's nothing else for me to do other than wait once my transcripts are in, correct? It will be done automatically and nothing for me to initiate?

Yup. You're all set.

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Perfect, thanks! :mrgreen:

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:20 am

+1

And I did this fairly recently. One school online, one via fax. The one I did online was on the LSAC site in three days. The other took a week.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”