Why so negative?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acrossthelake

Re: Why so negative?

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
MJohnson1986 wrote:I REALLY would like to know how you got into Yale though with those figures, and what your softs were, so that I can compare them with mine to see if it is worst tossing $1000 into the wind to apply to some of those top-echelon schools. (I consider a great personal statement a soft, so if you had a divine one of these, just tell me so and that will help as well)

D34dluk3's profile is fake. He didn't get into Yale. He also has much better numbers.

Shhh, stop ruining the fun. This may be the best thing that's happened to me today.

<3 <3 <3

Sowwi <3

HolyWarTheChosen

Postby HolyWarTheChosen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 pm

First of all buddy, I'd delete everything you have posted on these forums STAT, just so that does not hinder your chances any further.

Second, I would listen to the previous poster. Although you do have a shot at getting into one of those top schools with the #'s you have now, I would highly recommend retaking the LSAT to try to score somewhere in the 170 - 175 range.

Finally, you do have a realistic shot with the information you rather foolishly provided on this site. I did not think I had a shot in hell of getting into my dream school (UCLA) with my numbers, and to my surprise, I was accepted only a month after I had submitted my app. You need to write a first-class personal statement, maybe attend a forum, and get the best LORs you can.

People love to post condescending things on this site because it is human nature. After reading all of your comments, you seem like a legit guy. Don't trash your own reputation by getting defensive and trash-talking to the trash that posts on here regularly...

Best of luck with your future...

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm

I didn't use backward logic, I didn't use any logic. I just said your contention was "stupid." They give out grades in (most) law schools too. If you did not have to work ethic to get good grades in UG why would an adcomm think you would suddenly do an about face and do better in law school? Your grades in law school are directly indicative of your academic success in law school. So saying that your GPA and LSAT are not even "remotely" indicative of academic success is stupid. Maybe the numbers should not be given as much weight but that's the way of the world.

And you may be a good guy but spouting off about your ivy league parents and you high powered (?) financial job makes you look like a complete douche.

Also, if you are trying to show people that you are so much better than your numbers would indicate why are you churning out such terrible writing in this thread?
Last edited by emciosn on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm

HolyWarTheChosen wrote:First of all buddy, I'd delete everything you have posted on these forums STAT, just so that does not hinder your chances any further.

Second, I would listen to the previous poster. Although you do have a shot at getting into one of those top schools with the #'s you have now, I would highly recommend retaking the LSAT to try to score somewhere in the 170 - 175 range.

Finally, you do have a realistic shot with the information you rather foolishly provided on this site. I did not think I had a shot in hell of getting into my dream school (UCLA) with my numbers, and to my surprise, I was accepted only a month after I had submitted my app. You need to write a first-class personal statement, maybe attend a forum, and get the best LORs you can.

People love to post condescending things on this site because it is human nature. After reading all of your comments, you seem like a legit guy. Don't trash your own reputation by getting defensive and trash-talking to the trash that posts on here regularly...

Best of luck with your future...

LOL why are you talking to yourself with an alt?

l'aviadora

Postby l'aviadora » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:08 pm

He mad...

lol, Lake :P

Look OP, I hate to break it to you but it doesn't matter. Someone creates one of these threads at least once a week. They mad, they get mocked, given a dose of reality, and then GTFO'd. Perhaps LSAT/GPA isn't the best indicator of your potential as a lawyer but it is what the adcomms use. This is a fact. Your parents went to an ivy league school because of their accomplishments. Perhaps they found it more important to LEARN something than to parade about making friends. I don't know if there is any sort of 'legacy' bump, but unless your parents decided to donate a building to the campus recently, I don't think it's going to be enough to shore up a sub 3 GPA.

It isn't about negativity. It's about reality. Right now, you are not embracing it. Sure, there are small and occasional exceptions made to admission standards. It doesn't behoove you to assume that you merit one. If you do get into HLS, you can come back and laugh in our collective faces. We will laugh with you, promise. :)

Do what you want. If you want to spend the app fee to take a chance, do it. Put together the best application you can. Just be realistic and stop acting like you are entitled to something that the two main factors in admissions won't provide you.

PS...Van Wilder was a movie. In movies, things work out regardless of how retarded the plan/main character is. Life decisions shouldn't be made based on these results, HTH.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:people use hyperbole? WHY WASN'T I AWARE OF THIS?

I NEVER HEARD THIS EITHER!!! THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME!!!

PS. um, so how you been homey?

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Wasn't the happy ending in Van Wilder that he graduated in just under a decade and got to bang Tara Reid? Not job or law school admission correct?

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:14 pm

l'aviadora wrote:
PS...Van Wilder was a movie. In movies, things work out regardless of how retarded the plan/main character is. Life decisions shouldn't be made based on these results, HTH.

Wait... what?

You mean hollywood lied to me? :cry: :cry: :cry:

But tomorrow I was getting my Millennium Falcon delivered...

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:20 pm

firemed wrote:
l'aviadora wrote:

Wait... what?

Star Wars is a historical drama that occurred a long time ago in a galaxy far away. There is no way we can be absolutely certain of its accuracy. Keep up hope my friend.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:27 pm

emciosn wrote:
firemed wrote:
l'aviadora wrote:

Wait... what?

Star Wars is a historical drama that occurred a long time ago in a galaxy far away. There is no way we can be absolutely certain of its accuracy. Keep up hope my friend.

Thank you. Without your reassurance I might have demanded a refund on my $6,000,000 bid on Ebay.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:33 pm

acrossthelake wrote:LOL why are you talking to yourself with an alt?

:lol:

MJohnson1986

Postby MJohnson1986 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:33 pm

kjh
Last edited by MJohnson1986 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:49 pm

MJohnson1986FTW wrote:

I'm just going to pretend like that never happened

8)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:59 pm

:lol:

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:16 pm

You guys suck for not quoting the OP and his posts on the first page for posterity

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:19 pm

MJohnson1986 wrote:Haha alright alright everyone...I'm a dipshit retard and everyone is obviously right... I'm honestly not some douche bag who was born into a trust fund (I wasn't), who thinks they are better than everyone else...but the posts kind of led me down that path.

As for the guy who called me out on my writing though...this is one place (online social forum) where I feel like I can write as I'm speaking...however I'd like, no? Those are the jabs I was talking about earlier...and what led to this post. I'm going to delete my account and come back with a totally different moniker and I am sure I will, for the most part, leave these threads alone.

Best of luck to everyone applying to law school for this fall, and next, and also to those already enrolled. This thread was never meant to digress to a battle of words between 1 (me) and 1,XXX (the world reading these), but that was obviously the outcome. I don't know any of you from the guy on the street...and the same can be said vise-versa. I just hope that I get lucky with my apps...and that a lot of the people on here take a different approach with their comments to others on this site.

It would be very easy for me to write the replies many of you have when there is a sitting duck post like mine was...but do you really want to be that douche bag? I'll own the fact that my posts came off that way, but I'm not...and I'm sorry if I've given you all that impression.

Thanks to those with honest and thoughtful information, I appreciate it very much.

Take care

Best wishes to you too. :)

QFP & IBTL

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:58 pm

firemed wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:people use hyperbole? WHY WASN'T I AWARE OF THIS?

I NEVER HEARD THIS EITHER!!! THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME!!!

PS. um, so how you been homey?

I'm chill man, you know, school, work, tlsing too much. Just had knee surgery recently. I heard your wife had some health issues and I hope she is feeling better.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:00 pm

emciosn wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:All the pessimism is just part of a vast conspiracy to thin the herd of potential applicants one would have to compete with.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic but I think that is kind of true.

TLS has helped me out tremendously, but I wonder how many people changed their minds about going to law school after hanging out on this for a bit. In most cases it might have been for the better. I remember my first reaction being TLS    Image    Y U SO NEGATIVE?

l'aviadora

Postby l'aviadora » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Patriot....go bucks! Looking at applying there myself. You go to moritz?

:lol: I hope you get your millennium falcon, guys. Star wars was a documentary, duh.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:00 am

Kilpatrick wrote:You guys suck for not quoting the OP and his posts on the first page for posterity

This. Seriously.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”