LSAC CAS Foreign Educated Applicant Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rsteele2379

LSAC CAS Foreign Educated Applicant Question

Postby rsteele2379 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:13 pm

I was just wondering what the above average on my report means and how this would be translated to GPA. For those who are familiar with the UK education system I am in between a 1st and 2:1 at the moment. I am a double major in International Relations and Politics. My softs are ok but I have worked at least 20 hrs/wk during undergrad, have attanded conferences in IR (member of some IR think tanks) and am currently a congressional intern. I know much of that info is irrelevant, however, I want to give the greatet picture so that someone familiar with foreign applications can tell me how all of those things would be viewed by admin officers.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: LSAC CAS Foreign Educated Applicant Question

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 pm

We don't have a lot of data to go on, but from other people's experiences, it seems that the 'above average' means you're very unlikely to get in to HYS. With the right LSAT score, the remaining T14 are possible (except perhaps Chicago).

For more information, see:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=130045

Also, it is VERY hard for foreign applicants to get loans to attend US law schools - I imagine you're aware of that.

For the top schools, your softs seem average, but since softs don't count for much, that shouldn't be a problem.

rsteele2379

Postby rsteele2379 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:36 pm

I am an american though, went to high school here and all. Even with that do you think my chances at scholarships are low? I dont particularlly need a big scholarship and am not 100% debt averse but would take the money if I could get it.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Oh - that would explain the 'Congressional intern' bit. I assumed you had been an intern in the House of Commons, and had translated that for Americans.

If you look on LSN, plenty of foreign educated candidates with high LSATs have got good scholarship $$$ from the lower T14 and below in the past. An 'above average' friend of mine was offered about $15k per year by NU and UT last year - although he was an unusual case.

For scholarship $$$, you'd probably have to look below CCN though, unless you got 175+ / got lucky / have something else going for you. Of course, much of this is just my opinion, based largely on posts here and LSN.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Some good examples of foreign candidates offered $$$ from the last cycle:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jman77
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/JenBunny
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sunyoo25

Although one of these is 'superior' and the others don't say, my suspicion is that the superior / above average distinction doesn't matter much outside the T6 or so.

rsteele2379

Postby rsteele2379 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Ive been PTing in the mid-160's and the Logic Bibles have helped but as far as t-14 goes I have no illusions of granduer and am only applying to GULC and UVa if I can get my LSAT up by the Oct test. More realistically I am aiming for W&M, BC, BU, WUSTL or GWU.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”