LSAT date change/cancellation and re-take

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Megan_A

LSAT date change/cancellation and re-take

Postby Megan_A » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:28 am

Hi everyone!
I am considering taking the LSAT in October, but I don't feel I am that much ready yet and was wondering in case I decide to change my test date/or cancel, would LSAC sent information about such date change/cancellation to the law schools when I actually apply to them later.
Also in case I decide to re-take, law schools I am applying to will review all test scores submitted but will consider the highest one. And yet does re-taking play a major factor when reviewing my application?
Thanks to all who may have some info.

Questions4people

Re: LSAT date change/cancellation and re-take

Postby Questions4people » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:10 am

I've got the same question, will a pre-test cancellation reflect negatively the way a post-test cancellation does?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:53 am

Per LSAC: "You can withdraw after the deadlines for refund, test center and date change have passed up until a day before the test.
Note: If you cannot make it to the test, withdrawing a registration will prevent an absentee notation from appearing on your LSAC Law School Report."

So as long as you cancel more than a day before the test, the school would never know.

Megan_A

Postby Megan_A » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Samara wrote:Per LSAC: "You can withdraw after the deadlines for refund, test center and date change have passed up until a day before the test.
Note: If you cannot make it to the test, withdrawing a registration will prevent an absentee notation from appearing on your LSAC Law School Report."

So as long as you cancel more than a day before the test, the school would never know.

Thanks. That prompted me to check again the LSAC withdrawing options and it says: " If you are unable to take the LSAT on the date for which you are registered, you have three options that will REMOVE the test date from your file." - request a change to another date, withdraw your registration for a partial refund or withdraw after the refund deadline.

And then I am wondering about the re-take - do you think it has a negative effect and how law schools look upon it?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:12 pm

I think generally the effect of retakes is on trends. Most top schools take the highest score, but scoring lower on a retake is going to look worse than someone with similar numbers who only took it once. The effect is fairly minimal though, unless the dropoff is huge. If you score higher on the retake, they don't really care. If there is a point difference of more than about 3 or 4, you'll probably want to write an addendum explaining the difference though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”