Self-recommendation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DC_Patent_Law

Self-recommendation?

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I asked one of the partners at my firm who I've worked with over the years to write me a recommendation letter. He said I should write it and he'll tweak and sign it. Question is how do I recommend myself? What do I talk about. It gonna be pretty embarassing to go on about how awesome I think I am and then submit it to him. :oops:

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Self-recommendation?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:04 pm

I would advise against self-recommending. There are numerous threads on this forum about the very topic. Use the search function and see why it's probably a bad idea.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:10 pm

It's a bad idea. It doesn't sound like you're comfortable with it, so you can tell him that -- simply that you're not comfortable doing this.

I had a similar situation where an undergrad professor I had RA'd for offered to write me a rec for a different grad program, and then told me to write it myself. After a couple weeks of stressing, I told her I couldn't do that so she wrote it herself and it all worked out.

If the problem is that this partner doesn't know what to say, perhaps you could offer him a copy of your resume and personal statement so he could have a starting point or get some more information about how you want to present yourself. Maybe provide him with a list of what you've accomplished or which projects you've worked on over the years.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Maybe offer to write an outline. Describe specific things you want him to discuss and put it into a reasonable format. I provided all my recommenders with a small package which included my transcripts, resume, and some information regarding the specifics traits I wanted them to highlight in their letters. This way they had something to work from, it made the task less daunting, and got me recommendation letters that were closer to what I wanted them to be.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Some people don't like the practice, but it is definitely done by some people. The partner isn't going to put his name on something he doesn't agree with. He wants you to write it because he is willing to recommend you but doesn't want to spend his free time writing it. Just write up a rec and give it to him. He'll change anything he doesn't feel comfortable with.

In terms of advice on how to actually write a rec, just Google. It's a pretty common question.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Thank guys. I wasn't too excited about what he suggested either. Maybe I'll give him bullet points of all I have done that will be relevant for law school and he can massage it into some coherent text?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:10 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Thank guys. I wasn't too excited about what he suggested either. Maybe I'll give him bullet points of all I have done that will be relevant for law school and he can massage it into some coherent text?

Sounds great. Include a transcript/resume/PS too if you can to make this as easy as possible.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:17 pm

cinephile wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:Thank guys. I wasn't too excited about what he suggested either. Maybe I'll give him bullet points of all I have done that will be relevant for law school and he can massage it into some coherent text?

Sounds great. Include a transcript/resume/PS too if you can to make this as easy as possible.

Just playing devil's advocate: If he doesn't have time to write the letter in the first place, will he really appreciate you not doing it and instead giving him a transcript, resume, personal statement, and accomplishment list to go over? It's only like ten pages of stuff to read but if he's that busy it may be annoying to him.

If it was me I would probably just write it then have him sign. I would write something based on facts. Describe some projects you have been involved with then end it with something about how you did quality work and were always dependable. Just keep your language constrained and do an honest self evaluation.

Never had an experience with this just saying what I might do if I was in the situation.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:21 pm

From title thought you meant writing a lor from yourself. Disappointed.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:26 pm

A partner at the firm I worked for did the same thing to me...I contacted a previous intern who had worked for the firm and had him send me his draft LOR that same lawyer sent when he was applying to LS. I used that as a template...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”