Advice on School Future Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gc018

New

Advice on School Future

Post by gc018 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:55 am

Hello,

I just wanted to ask advice on my situation in law school.

I am a recent graduate from Rutgers New Brunswick with a 3.5 GPA. I had a double major in Planning and Public Policy and Political Science with a minor in history. I took a practice LSAT junior year in 2009 and received a score of 173 and had plans to apply to law school. In November 2010, during my first semester of senior year, I got really involved in my second major Planning and Public Policy and decided that I should apply to grad school for a Master's in Public Policy. I took the GRE and scored well. After applying to two schools for a MPP degree I was rejected.
I have already enrolled and accepted the scholarship but I was wondering if anyone had a take on this or an idea of what I should do.
Thank you
Last edited by gc018 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scammedhard

Silver

Re: Advice on School Future

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:02 pm

If you can score a 173 on the LSAT and have a 3.5 GPA, you should definitively NOT enroll at Rutgers Camden Law.

You should take the LSAT, get a good score (165+), and go to the highest ranked program that offers you a substantial scholarship, with the exception of the T14s, where sticker should be considered under certain circumstances.

EDIT:
I have already enrolled and accepted the scholarship but I was wondering if anyone had a take on this or an idea of what I should do.
When did you start classes? Is this actual law school or pre-law school? You have been scammed already. Sorry. Next time, do your homework.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

New

Post by blehGPAgoodLSAT » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:13 pm

They enrolled you without an actual LSAT score and only a GRE score? Wow, can they do that?

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Going to Rutgers with a 173 would be a very weak career move.

The only way I can see it is if you only wanted NJ, and had a full ride and stipend.

That said a 3.5 and 173 can get you full rides to schools with better employment prospects.

Still, Rutgers is quite respected in NJ.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blehGPAgoodLSAT

New

Post by blehGPAgoodLSAT » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 pm

OP seems to indicate that the 173 was a PT and that Rutgers Law offered TC "special admission" to a pilot program because of his/her stellar GRE scores. Maybe I'm misreading but I've never heard of anything like this before. Rutgers at the for-front of innovation.

gc018

New

Post by gc018 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:32 pm

scammedhard wrote:If you can score a 173 on the LSAT and have a 3.5 GPA, you should definitively NOT enroll at Rutgers Camden Law.

You should take the LSAT, get a good score (165+), and go to the highest ranked program that offers you a substantial scholarship, with the exception of the T14s, where sticker should be considered under certain circumstances.

EDIT:
When did you start classes? Is this actual law school or pre-law school? You have been scammed already. Sorry. Next time, do your homework.
Classes start in August along with orientation. It is the full time JD program for graduation in 2014. I researched the school a little before applying but I didnt know that my grades and practice LSAT scores were good enough for anything more. Thanks for your honest opinion though.

gc018

New

Post by gc018 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:34 pm

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:OP seems to indicate that the 173 was a PT and that Rutgers Law offered TC "special admission" to a pilot program because of his/her stellar GRE scores. Maybe I'm misreading but I've never heard of anything like this before. Rutgers at the for-front of innovation.
Yeah it was a special pilot program that they extended to certain Rutgers undergrads, throughout the three campuses, who took the GMAT and the GRE.

gc018

New

Post by gc018 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions. I don't know anyone that went to law school or anyone that was really going through the process and applying, so I am trying to figure out what to do as I go along. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Withdraw, take the LSAT in October and go to a much better school.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm

gc018 wrote:Classes start in August along with orientation. It is the full time JD program for graduation in 2014. I researched the school a little before applying but I didnt know that my grades and practice LSAT scores were good enough for anything more. Thanks for your honest opinion though.
Then you are not yet enrolled and have a chance to do this law school thing the right way. I suggest you contact Rutgers and tell "thanks but no thanks." Once you actually enroll, it's a whole different game.

Get a job, study for the LSAT, and apply next year only if you score a 165+; otherwise retake.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 pm

gc018 wrote:Yeah it was a special pilot program that they extended to certain Rutgers undergrads, throughout the three campuses, who took the GMAT and the GRE.
Thanks exactly what the US needs: pilot programs than experiment how to graduate more JDs!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”