.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Colorado10
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 pm

.

Postby Colorado10 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 pm

.
Last edited by Colorado10 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:00 am

Using her copy of the Yale Law School Facebook, Luna took a tally and found that Yale and Harvard graduates made up roughly 25 percent of her class. When graduates from Stanford and the other six Ivy League schools were factored in, the percentage reached 50 — but Luna said she was amazed the number was that low.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby lawgod » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02 am

Colorado10 wrote:Hi all,

I just had a quick question.

According to the following article from the Yale Daily News:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/ ... law-cycle/

It appears that 75% of Yale students attended one of the Ivy League colleges + Stanford.

The article states that student body for the 09-10 year came from 185 undergraduate institutions.

The website of YLS states that 255 students were accepted last year.

75% of 255 = 191.25 attended Ivy League + Stanford

25 % of 255 = 63.75 attended other schools.

If that's the case, how can 185 undergraduate institutions be represented by the student body?
Isn't the maximum number of non-Ivy League + Stanford school represented 63?

I'm horrible at math, so I'd appreciate if anyone can clarify the calculations.

Thanksss.


You're doing the math wrong. You are starting from the whole number and subtracting 75%, instead of starting with the 75%.

Colorado10
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Colorado10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Using her copy of the Yale Law School Facebook, Luna took a tally and found that Yale and Harvard graduates made up roughly 25 percent of her class. When graduates from Stanford and the other six Ivy League schools were factored in, the percentage reached 50 — but Luna said she was amazed the number was that low.


I would think that the editors at the Yale Daily News would have performed at least some preliminary fact-checking.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Verity » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:15 am

According to "Luna," the unofficial tally of all the Ivy undergrads make up about half the class, not 75%.

Assuming that 50% = 9 schools (Ivies + Stanford), and every single person in the other half of the 225-person class went to a different UG, then this would still not give you enough people and institutions for what you claim the article said to make sense (9 + 112 = 121).

But:

The article actually says that "In the 2009-’10 enrollment season, the student body came from 185 different institutions, 48 states and several other countries."

If "the student body" means 1L, 2L, & 3L, then this might be possible. I'd even consider factoring in other "institutions" where they might have gotten graduate degrees, if it wasn't for the next sentence seeming to imply that 185 means UG.

Colorado10
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Colorado10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 am

Verity wrote:According to "Luna," the unofficial tally of all the Ivy undergrads make up about half the class, not 75%.

Assuming that 50% = 9 schools (Ivies + Stanford), and every single person in the other half of the 225-person class went to a different UG, then this would still not give you enough people and institutions for what you claim the article said to make sense (9 + 112 = 121).

But:

The article actually says that "In the 2009-’10 enrollment season, the student body came from 185 different institutions, 48 states and several other countries."

If "the student body" means 1L, 2L, & 3L, then this might be possible. I'd even consider factoring in other "institutions" where they might have gotten graduate degrees, if it wasn't for the next sentence seeming to imply that 185 means UG.


Hey Verity,

Thanks for the response. You're right, I made the mistake of thinking that 75% attended Ivy League + Stanford. It is, as you pointed out, roughly 50%, according to Luna.

It also appears that among the 255 accepted last year, 205 actually matriculated.

So I'm guessing about 100 students attended non-Ivy League colleges + Stanford and they represent the 185 different institutions. I think the student body refers to that particular class of 09-10. So I guess graduate schools were also factored into the "institutions represented." But given how graduate school GPAs do not count for LSAC GPA and also the US & News Ranking, I'm a bit uncertain as to whether graduate schools should count towards "institutions represented." I got the impression that only undergraduate institutions count toward "institutions represented." Hmmm....

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:53 pm

69 undergrad institutions in the class of 2013:
http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Let's hope the ABA cracks down on this kind of false advertising and shuts this TTT down.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby scammedhard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:00 pm

flcath wrote:Let's hope the ABA cracks down on this kind of false advertising and shuts this TTT down.

No. Let's hope that the DoEd takes away the law school overseeing powers from the incompetent, passive, and unwilling ABA.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:02 pm

scammedhard wrote:
flcath wrote:Let's hope the ABA cracks down on this kind of false advertising and shuts this TTT down.

No. Let's hope that the DoEd takes away the law school overseeing powers from the incompetent, passive, and unwilling ABA.

You and I have found common ground.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Humans, 69 in the class of 2013 is compatible with 185 in the student body. Especially if they're including LLM and JSD classes that are mainly composed of furrners.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Verity » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Yeah, nobody gives a shit about any of this OP. But I do love keeping Yale on its toes.

User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Wade LeBosh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Perhaps Ivy grads are much more likely to apply to YLS than non-ivy grads.

chucklesmcgee
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby chucklesmcgee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:Perhaps Ivy grads are much more likely to apply to YLS than non-ivy grads.



Or that people who have the credentials to make it into a top school for undergraduate are going to make up an overwhelming percentage of top LSAT scorers.

User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:58 pm

chucklesmcgee wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:Perhaps Ivy grads are much more likely to apply to YLS than non-ivy grads.

Or that people who have the credentials to make it into a top school for undergraduate are going to make up a overwhelming disproportionate percentage of top LSAT scorers.


Both of these ideas make sense. A big problem with this article is that it doesn't compare the YLS admissions stats to peer schools.

User avatar
joeljohnson
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: Math of Yale Admissions

Postby joeljohnson » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:07 pm

185 different institutions are represented in the STUDENT BODY for the 09-10 year, not in a single class. Thus, whether it is 75% or 50%, there are enough students who did not attend Ivy League schools to account for 185 different institutions.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, PresidentIJohnson and 4 guests