Want to app for fall '12, but may not be ready for Oct LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Betharl

Want to app for fall '12, but may not be ready for Oct LSAT

Postby Betharl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 pm

I work full time and may not be as prepared as I would like for the Oct 1 LSAT. Assuming I want to go to law school (which admittedly will depend on what schools I can get into/what I get on the LSAT) in the fall of 2012 am I better off taking the Oct 1 LSAT and getting my applications in early, or should I take the LSAT in December and get my applications in at the earliest date possible? How much of an impact does getting your application in early have on your chances of admission, all else equal? Should I take the Oct and Dec LSATs? If I apply and get rejected with my Oct LSAT score can I reapply with the Dec score?

Possibly important things to consider when answering:

UGGPA: 3.64

-LSAT diagnostic: 159, but that was going 10/23 on logic games, and I assume with a lot of practice that can be closer to 23/23. I am shooting for 168 or higher. If I don't get at least a 167, I might not be able to get in anywhere that would make law school worthwhile.

-A few of my "reach" schools (at least based on what I think I might get on the LSAT) offer binding early decision, but these might be out-of-reach schools if I do not get my highest possible LSAT score.

Sounder89

Re: Want to app for fall '12, but may not be ready for Oct LSAT

Postby Sounder89 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Betharl wrote:If I apply and get rejected with my Oct LSAT score can I reapply with the Dec score?

It's definitely do-able. You can't reapply in the same cycle but let's say you get waitlisted at a few schools, then a high Dec score could make a difference. I would say if you think you can fit in a good solid 15 or so hours of prep every week from now til October you have a decent shot of getting a 168+, especially if you sign up for a class this summer. So I would recommend taking a class along with self prep and wokring on your apps any free time you get on the weekends.

As for when to apply you should definitely aim for the Oct test and try to get your apps in by early November. With a 3.64/168 you are around the lower-mid range for a lot top schools and stand a chance if you get your apps in early. But if you wait til after the Dec LSAT to apply your t14 chances aren't looking good. What do you define as any school that would be worth it?

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 pm

Betharl wrote:I work full time and may not be as prepared as I would like for the Oct 1 LSAT. Assuming I want to go to law school (which admittedly will depend on what schools I can get into/what I get on the LSAT) in the fall of 2012 am I better off taking the Oct 1 LSAT and getting my applications in early, or should I take the LSAT in December and get my applications in at the earliest date possible? How much of an impact does getting your application in early have on your chances of admission, all else equal? Should I take the Oct and Dec LSATs? If I apply and get rejected with my Oct LSAT score can I reapply with the Dec score?

Possibly important things to consider when answering:

UGGPA: 3.64

-LSAT diagnostic: 159, but that was going 10/23 on logic games, and I assume with a lot of practice that can be closer to 23/23. I am shooting for 168 or higher. If I don't get at least a 167, I might not be able to get in anywhere that would make law school worthwhile.

-A few of my "reach" schools (at least based on what I think I might get on the LSAT) offer binding early decision, but these might be out-of-reach schools if I do not get my highest possible LSAT score.

I got a 157 diagnostic in February, studied my ass off, PTed consistently in low to mid 170s, and landed a 170 even on the June test. And, I pretty much took April off from studying TBH. It was like the 2nd half of February, March, and May. So 2.5 months. If you're dedicated, you can totally do October. I didn't do anywhere near the number of full PTs that a lot of people here did. Just study, take in October, apply, and retake if needed in December. NBD.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:06 pm

I took a Testmasters course from April through May and took the June LSAT and did fine. You have more than enough time to take the October test. If you do and have a bad test day, you can always re-take in December. If you take the December test as your first you won't have the same luxury without sitting out a cycle.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them. I will study hard and take the Oct LSAT, get my apps in early, and take the Dec LSAT if need be.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”