Debating between 2 people for a LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JDndMSW

Debating between 2 people for a LOR

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Professor A is from a CC that I transferred from a year ago. I took a summer '09 and fall '09 class with him. I know he liked me a lot and I am sure he would remember me if I went to visit and speak with him. However I am a bit nervous because in the last week of the fall class he started calling me by the wrong (but similar name) ie calling someone Tim instead of Tom. It would be a bit awkward contacting him because the amount of time since I have spoken to him. I am wondering though if adcoms would think lower of it since it is not at my current University.

Professor B I had for a two series class this past year. She is probably the most accomplished professor that I could have write me a letter but she is a bit cooky and I am unsure if she is reliable. If I was going to have her write a letter I would want to meet with her for office hours but I unfortunately would be unable to do this until Sept 1st. Although I received an A- and an A in her courses I am a little nervous to ask her for a letter as she has been quite critical of my writing.

Any thoughts or advice?

IamIn

Re: Debating between 2 people for a LOR

Postby IamIn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:59 pm

ask both... than you can choose which one you want to send to schools...

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:03 pm

I don't think debating is the way to ask for an LOR. You should just ask.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:05 pm

It is going to be a big hassle to get either letters so I would rather only put the effort into getting one of them. Besides how would I know which one to send if they don't let me read them.
What I am asking is which one I should ask. I already have a very solid letter from another instructor as well as my site supervisor for an internship.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:47 pm

BUMP

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Ask for both. If you go and ask properly (bring stuff from your classes with them, your personal statement, resume, talk to them about what you want etc) you'll be able to get a feel of how the letter's going to be. Asking both of them for letters is still definitely TCR.

Also, why do you have to wait until Sept 1st for Professor B?

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

kazu wrote:Ask for both. If you go and ask properly (bring stuff from your classes with them, your personal statement, resume, talk to them about what you want etc) you'll be able to get a feel of how the letter's going to be. Asking both of them for letters is still definitely TCR.

Also, why do you have to wait until Sept 1st for Professor B?

I will not be attending my school this semester and it is too far of a drive to go just for a LOR.
I understand that both is TCR but I would rather not. Any input on which you would choose?

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I grabbed four LORs just in case. There's one I probably won't send anywhere, and I'm pretty sure I know which 2 I'm sending off that bat, and the other will just be for waitlists I think. The decisions came after I asked for the letters based on the feedback and enthusiasm I was getting from the profs. I have no idea what the letters say, but some profs seemed more excited about doing this for me than others. I'd ask for them from both and then make a decision.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 pm

If you really have to choose one - not sure how far the drive is but LORs can be really important and you can always email/ask to meet outside of office hours so that it works better for you - go with the person who knows you better and can write more in depth about you personally. With the information you gave us I can't really choose for you. Like citykitty says, the feedback you get when asking is invaluable, and it's always good to have an extra LOR in case of waitlists etc.

Also, you want to ask ASAP. Profs can take forever writing these.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”