DUI Addendum Feedback

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PJG70

DUI Addendum Feedback

Postby PJG70 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could get some feedback/ advice on this matter. I'm thinking that there may be too many details in this, but I'd like to hear some opinions. I really appreciate it.

Offense: Driving Under the Influence
Date of Offense: August 25th, 2010
Docket Number: NA
Court: NA

After three glasses of wine at a restaurant over the course of two hours during dinner, my friend- who was unfamiliar to the area- asked if she could follow me to our hometown. I did not notice any signs of caution that would put either others or myself in harm, so I agreed to drive and have her follow me.

Half way to our destination the alternator in my SUV seized working, causing me to pull over on the side of the highway. After several unsuccessful attempts to jump-startng, I called AAA who said they would tow my vehicle. Meanwhile, my friend said she was familiar enough with the area to get back alone and left.

While I was looking under the hood of my parked vehicle, a state police officer pulled behind my SUV. He approached me and, according to him, it was the smell of wine that led him to submit a field sobriety test and a breathalyzer. The officer read me my rights and gave me the option of refusing the breathalyzer, which- due to the implied consent law- would lead to an automatic license suspension. Because I did not know my B.A.C., I opted out of the breathalyzer. I felt as though I had to protect my self by omitting evidence I was unsure of. However, as it turns out in my case, refusing was not the best choice.

In fact, during the mandated Impaired Driver’s Intervention Program (IDIP) the instructor and I calculated that my BAC was a .047, nearly half of New Hampshire’s legal limit of. However, I took my attorney’s advice to avoid disputing the charges in trial. I did this because going to trial could have placed me at risk of receiving a harsher sentence then taking the plea offered by the State, which were the minimums for this charge (a court fee, temporary loss of license, and mandated attendance at a IDIP). Moreover, in fewer then twelve months this charge will be reduced to reckless driving.

With the risk of receiving the maximum sentences, I plead guilty to the State. Thereafter, I have been completely responsible and cooperative with each and every mandate. This was an isolated incident that I will never allow to reoccur. With the exception of this event, I am happy to say that I have not had any problems with alcohol. In closing, I would never turn the keys and drive a car if I thought I was impaired to the point that it would put others and myself at risk. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like more information on this matter.

Anomaly

Re: DUI Addendum Feedback

Postby Anomaly » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:17 pm

way too much detail man.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 pm

I wouldn't write any of that. Just list the offense. If you feel you must write an addendum, make it something to the effect of you were young, haven't had anything since, learned something, etc.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Anomaly wrote:way too much detail man.

This is right. I would cut the entire explanation and just say you pleaded guilty to driving under the influence, you take responsibility for your actions, you learned from this incident and you are moving on. Everything else sounds like excuses.

Because this is so recent, you may also want to contact a lawyer and determine how will this affect your job prospects and whether you would be able to pass character & fitness when you try to get a law license.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Don't write an addendum about how you're not actually guilty. Your very first sentence sets that tone and it's reinforced through the entire statement. Anybody reading this will discount your claim of innocence (because you're guilty and they and everyone else knows it) and be put off by your trying to dodge responsibility instead of maturely taking ownership of what you did.

PJG70

Postby PJG70 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Thank you all for responding, I'll definitely rework this with these comments in mind. I'll post up the updated edition.

afitouri

Postby afitouri » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 pm

How much can a DUI affect your chances?

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:34 pm

PJG70 wrote:Thank you all for responding, I'll definitely rework this with these comments in mind. I'll post up the updated edition.

The bare minimum man. You had two glasses of wine, your car broke down, a state trooper approached, you refused to take the beathalyzer until you sought legal representation, your license was suspended.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Whoa that is way too much.

You need like a few sentences at most. Say you plead guilty, accepted responsibility, have cooperated with mandated whatever, and have taken steps to correct you behavior in the future. You do not want to make even a single excuse. Let them know you accepted the consequences and it won't happen again.

Side note: I don't think this will affect you being able to pass character and fitness after you graduate at all.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:27 pm

My DUI addendum in its entirety:

Case ID: 00000 OWCR000000 Date: 10/10/XXXX Location: Sample City, State
Charge: 321J.2(A), Oper Veh Wh Int (OWI) / 1ST OFF (SRMS) Court: Sample Jurisdiction Outcome: Plead Guilty

This charge, Operating a Motor Vehicle While Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs was made based on evidence discovered at the scene of the car collision described above. It represents a spectacular lapse in good judgment. I had spent the day celebrating with friends and did not carefully consider the implications and dangers of my driving home. Drugs were not involved. Since this time, I have modified my life choices and do not intend to repeat this egregious error.

I do not believe that this charge prevented me from being admitted to any of the schools to which I applied. I have spoken with the C&F departments of the supreme courts in a couple of Midwestern states in which I am interested in practicing and they tell me that this should not be an issue so long as it is not indicative of a larger substance abuse problem.

PJG70

Postby PJG70 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Ok so I completely re-wrote this with everyone's opinion in mind. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

This charge was based off of the evidence discovered at the scene of my broken-down SUV. I plead guilty and, in turn, the State of [BLANK] charged me with the minimums of a DUI misdemeanor. Additionally, this will be reduced from my record to reckless driving in a year’s time. Since this charge, I have completed and cooperated with all of the State’s mandates. I am aware of the consequences my actions have had, and I am thankful that no one was hurt as a result of my lapse in judgment. This is an isolated incident that I sincerely regret and will insure does not reoccur.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Better, but you need to clean up the grammar.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:48 pm

PJG70 wrote:Ok so I completely re-wrote this with everyone's opinion in mind. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

This charge was based off of the evidence discovered at the scene of my broken-down SUV. I plead guilty and, in turn, the State of [BLANK] charged me with the minimums of a DUI misdemeanor. Additionally, this will be reduced from my record to reckless driving in a year’s time. Since this charge, I have completed and cooperated with all of the State’s mandates. I am aware of the consequences my actions have had, and I am thankful that no one was hurt as a result of my lapse in judgment. This is an isolated incident that I sincerely regret and will insure does not reoccur.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Buzzed driving is drunk driving--trying to justify it in an addendum just draws attention to the situation and makes it seem like you're not taking accountability.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:17 pm

PJG70 wrote:Ok so I completely re-wrote this with everyone's opinion in mind. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

This charge was based off of the evidence discovered at the scene of my broken-down SUV. I plead guilty and, in turn, the State of [BLANK] charged me with the minimums of a DUI misdemeanor. Additionally, This will be reduced from my record to reckless driving in a year’s time. Since this charge, I have completed and cooperated with all of the State’s mandates. I am aware of the consequences of my actions have had, and I am thankful that no one was hurt as a result of my lapse in judgment. This is an isolated incident that I sincerely regret and will insure does not reoccur.

overall I think it is definitely a lot better. Just a few minor changes I would suggest. Good work, just accept responsibility and move on.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm

seized ceased

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:49 pm

emciosn wrote:

This charge was based off of the evidence discovered at the scene of my broken-down SUV. I plead guilty and, in turn, the State of [BLANK] charged me with the minimums of a DUI misdemeanor. Additionally, This will be reduced from my record to reckless driving in a year’s time. Since this charge, I have completed and cooperated with all of the State’s mandates. I am aware of the consequences of my actions have had, and I am thankful that no one was hurt as a result of my lapse in judgment. This is an isolated incident that I sincerely regret and will insure does not reoccur.

overall I think it is definitely a lot better. Just a few minor changes I would suggest. Good work, just accept responsibility and move on.

There is no "scene" of a broken down vehicle. This wording is awkward.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”