Transcript question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
merlin2009

Transcript question

Postby merlin2009 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey, here's my situation, and it's kind of giving me a huge headache

I took a class at my local community college 5 years ago, when I was a sophomore in high school. I thought I dropped the class before it was recorded, but I thought wrong. I just called it and it turns out I got a C. This would bring down my GPA by a LOT (from a 3.74 to a 3.68)

How should I handle this situation? Should I write an addendum to law schools? Try to retrospectively drop the class (the person at the community college said that was possible through a general petition)?

Any thoughts would be very helpful. I really just think it's unfair that courses taken so long ago, when I was still in high school, could affect my chances now.

Thanks

cinephile

Re: Transcript question

Postby cinephile » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Try to retroactively drop, go through the petition process, etc.

Do not write an addendum - this is just one class and it's a C, not an F.

merlin2009

Postby merlin2009 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:55 pm

cinephile wrote:Try to retroactively drop, go through the petition process, etc.

Do not write an addendum - this is just one class and it's a C, not an F.

Does that fact that this happened in high school matter at all? Admissions officers are able to see my GPA at the degree granting institution separately from this one grade right?

Also, what are your thoughts on not submitting the transcript at all? There was no SSN attached, and really no way for anyone to ever find this out...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:58 pm

merlin2009 wrote:Does that fact that this happened in high school matter at all?
No.

merlin2009 wrote:Admissions officers are able to see my GPA at the degree granting institution separately from this one grade right?
They can, but the overall cumulative GPA is the one they have to report to USNWR, so that's the one they care about.

merlin2009 wrote:Also, what are your thoughts on not submitting the transcript at all? There was no SSN attached, and really no way for anyone to ever find this out...
If it did get found out, you likely would not pass C&F at bar exam time. You really want to risk that? (And just because there's no SSN on the actual transcript doesn't mean they won't find it.)

merlin2009

Postby merlin2009 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:01 pm

merlin2009 wrote:Also, what are your thoughts on not submitting the transcript at all? There was no SSN attached, and really no way for anyone to ever find this out...
If it did get found out, you likely would not pass C&F at bar exam time. You really want to risk that?[/quote]

Definitely not...but I honestly forgot that I did this at all until last week. Would claiming ignorance not fly at bar exam time?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm

merlin2009 wrote:
If it did get found out, you likely would not pass C&F at bar exam time. You really want to risk that?

Definitely not...but I honestly forgot that I did this at all until last week. Would claiming ignorance not fly at bar exam time?[/quote]

Don't try it. I agree with what rinkrat said above.

Although it seems like it brings you from a 3.7x to a 3.6x, it really isn't that big of a deal. If your LSAT score is competitive for the schools you're targeting, you should still be accepted.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

merlin2009 wrote:
If it did get found out, you likely would not pass C&F at bar exam time. You really want to risk that?

Definitely not...but I honestly forgot that I did this at all until last week. Would claiming ignorance not fly at bar exam time?[/quote]
Dude, lying is the worst thing you could do. Lying to the board of bar examiners is career suicide. Why would you even consider doing that?
Just deal with it now. Maybe you could get the community college to permit you to retroactively withdraw, I think some people have managed to pull that off.
There are so many posts on this forum by people getting screwed over by these grades from HS. I remember one post explained that if the class wasn't for college credit, then it didn't count. I couldn't find that post. There is some distinction between AP classes given at a community college and classes taken in high school that count towards college credit.
You should check with LSDAS.

merlin2009

Postby merlin2009 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:41 pm

sunynp wrote:
merlin2009 wrote:

Definitely not...but I honestly forgot that I did this at all until last week. Would claiming ignorance not fly at bar exam time?

Dude, lying is the worst thing you could do. Lying to the board of bar examiners is career suicide. Why would you even consider doing that?
Just deal with it now. Maybe you could get the community college to permit you to retroactively withdraw, I think some people have managed to pull that off.
There are so many posts on this forum by people getting screwed over by these grades from HS. I remember one post explained that if the class wasn't for college credit, then it didn't count. I couldn't find that post. There is some distinction between AP classes given at a community college and classes taken in high school that count towards college credit.
You should check with LSDAS.[/quote]

Yeah I didn't really think lying was a legit option...I was just kinda panicking when I found out.

Ok I'll try to get a retroactive withdrawal...if not I guess I'll have to eat it.

Thanks

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”