Could use your opinions..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
loomstate

Could use your opinions..

Postby loomstate » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 am

I'm a double major. I have major A in the bag with a pretty full plate of classes in the Fall - will be all A's. I am also taking the LSAT in October. I am going to be studying abroad in the spring. The get major B I just need to take one class, but I would have to take it w/ a heavy load and while studying for the LSAT. I don't want to do this. Stated class even runs during an LSAT prep course I may take.

My gut says, "ditch the second major, it's not worth the possible B and the distraction from studying for the LSAT" (a B would hurt my GPA).

My pragmatic self says, "take the extra class, you only need the ONE extra class to get it. You have won UG schollys flaunting a Double Major."

Optimal situation is they offer the course in the summer when I'm home from study abroad and I can take it after admitted to LS. But they have offered it twice in the past four summers, so it's a toss up.

Would saying I'm a double major applying to LS, and then, not getting a double major, lose me a seat at T14 schools? Would you be able to stomach not getting a Double Major because you had ONE class you didn't take and you wanted to take it easy for the LSAT? I can't make a decision here, I'm literally back and forth daily. Cheers.

loomstate

Re: Could use your opinions..

Postby loomstate » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:35 am

--ImageRemoved--

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:16 am

loomstate wrote:My gut says, "ditch the second major, it's not worth the possible B and the distraction from studying for the LSAT" (a B would hurt my GPA).

Your gut is right on this one. In terms of maximizing your chances at law school admission, the correct choice is to drop the second major. A heavy load while studying for the LSAT is not ideal at all.

loomstate wrote:My pragmatic self says, "take the extra class, you only need the ONE extra class to get it. You have won UG schollys flaunting a Double Major."

If your second major is important to you intellectually and personally, you should weigh that against the admissions factors mentioned above. Don't worry about the fact that you've won scholarships while saying you were getting a double major. You were getting a double major at the time you filled out the applications and you were acting in good faith.
loomstate wrote:Optimal situation is they offer the course in the summer when I'm home from study abroad and I can take it after admitted to LS. But they have offered it twice in the past four summers, so it's a toss up.

Check with someone in the department and see if you can get an answer on this question now. If you'll be able to take it in the summer, this is a non-issue.
loomstate wrote:Would saying I'm a double major applying to LS, and then, not getting a double major, lose me a seat at T14 schools? Would you be able to stomach not getting a Double Major because you had ONE class you didn't take and you wanted to take it easy for the LSAT? I can't make a decision here, I'm literally back and forth daily. Cheers.

Don't claim you are getting a double major unless you actually plan on getting it. Unless you register for the class or find out that it is being offered during summer school, you should not claim you are getting a double major.

Just out of curiosity, what are the two majors?

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:37 am

Thank you for your points. I appreciate it. The majors are environmental studies and international studies.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:43 am

For law school admissions you need the best LSAT score you can possibly get. I am not sure how much a double major helps you with admissions as mostly your GPA matters.

But, personally, I don't think I could give up a double major simply because of missing one course. You should talk to an adviser about figuring out how to do both majors. Maybe they can give you permission to substitute a class for the one you need? There should be a way to do this. How important to your major is studying abroad? It is a good thing to do obviously, but not essential to law school admission, if that is your primary concern.

I think you should be concerned about taking a heavy load in the fall and taking the LSAT.
The LSAT matters so much that people here spend hours every day studying. Did you look at the study plans? Did you set up a schedule that will work with your classes? You might want to look at the advice here for self-study as well as the advice on which prep courses are best.

Start planning your LSAT studying now.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 am

sunynp wrote: How important to your major is studying abroad?

It's very important because it's a fellowship at an excellent university, not just a program at my school. Sorry, I should have specified.

sunynp wrote:Did you look at the study plans?

I'm currently 1/3 through the LSAT blog's four month study program. I find it helpful, but it's not enough for me. I'm using Kaplan mastery to drill certain types of questions and also putting in more work than the schedule outlines (much like the pike method) so I can 1. finish the study plan early, and take more PTs before Oct and 2. give myself time to take a BP course.

I think I am planning on moving forward and trying to get a course equivilancy from my department for a course at the foreign university. If this doesn't work, I am just going to apply to LS as a single major, or see if the app will let me specify that I will be a single major, with a second pending in the summer. Your thoughts?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”