P's on transcript?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legaleagle9

P's on transcript?

Postby legaleagle9 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm debating something in my head and thinking about whether or not its the right idea. Math and science have NEVER been my thing. Its not that I don't believe in myself, its just I am VERY risk averse when it comes to getting good grades, so I was wondering:

For the rest of my undergrad career, I have to take one more math class and one more science class, then I am done.

Would it be a bad idea to take both of them P/NP(pass/no pass), rather then risk it and get a letter grade. I know its a pansy move, but getting a P does not affect my GPA positively OR negatively, and honestly, I'd rather something have no affect on my GPA then getting a B.

What do you think??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hopefully2012

Re: P's on transcript?

Postby Hopefully2012 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Does taking a course P/NP fulfill your requirements? My UG was pretty picky and only allowed us to take a course P/NP if it was an elective. With this in mind, I would definitely recommend taking a course P/NP if you think you'll do poorly.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:44 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:I am VERY risk averse when it comes to getting good grades

This sort of disposition is wonderful for your short-term prospects, but devastating for your longer-term outlook.

legaleagle9

Postby legaleagle9 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:48 am

thanks guys. any more opinions on this?

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:19 am

I had like 15+ P/F classes. I dont think it affected me much, maybe at Yale..

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:08 am

Hopefully2012 wrote:Does taking a course P/NP fulfill your requirements? My UG was pretty picky and only allowed us to take a course P/NP if it was an elective. With this in mind, I would definitely recommend taking a course P/NP if you think you'll do poorly.

This is the credited question, and I agree with the advice also.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:24 am

I don't think a single class taken C/NR is going to matter for most admission committees, honestly even two probably wouldn't matter. Though as someone pointed out before, if those are gen eds, your university might have policies that prevent you from taking them C/NR (and having them 'count' towards graduation).

Personally, I think it'd be more rewarding if you challenged yourself to do well in those classes. Everyone can do well in lower-level mathematics courses.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”