worth an addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thebigspoon

worth an addendum?

Postby thebigspoon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Here's the situation. My grades were nearly all A's until last year when I took a class that was the 2nd in a series. Prof A usually teaches the entire series but last year prof B taught class 1 and prof A returned to teach class 2. Prof A didn't like the way we learned the prereqs so he decided to not curve the class. My class rank which would've given me a B+ or A- in previous semesters suddenly translated into a C. I wouldn't have cared muich if this had happened earlier but since this happened the year before apps it could be taken as a downward trend. Do you think this is worth an addendum?

and random unrelated question, do law schools look down on pass/no pass units?

Dany

Re: worth an addendum?

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 am

I would absolutely not write an addendum for it. It will either look like you're whining/making excuses (bad) or blaming the professor (worse). If you've had mostly As, your GPA will be fine.

As far as pass/no-pass units, I'd imagine they're only bad if you start accumulating a ton. If it's just a class here or there, or study abroad, I doubt anyone will notice or care.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Don't write an addendum, especially that addendum. One 'C' won't bar you from a top school (I had one on my transcript and did fine during the application process).

As far as P/NP classes, as long as you don't go crazy with them.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Since you have a score of 174 on the LSAT & a 3.8 GPA, you should apply to most or all of the top 6 law schools where one "C" can affect your chances of admission. My opinion is that an addendum to explain a grade of "C" in your junior or senior year is worth an addendum---especially if it is a course in your major.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote: My opinion is that an addendum to explain a grade of "C" in your junior or senior year is worth an addendum---especially if it is a course in your major.

Not when there's no good reason for that C. And saying "But the class wasn't curved! It was easier other semesters!" is not a good reason.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 pm

We haven't seen the addendum yet, so it is hard to judge whether or not OP has a reasonable explanation.
It is unlikely that a top 6 law school will request an addendum, but it is likely that the "C" will be noticed.
OP: Is the "C" in one of your major courses ?

P.S. I understand the situation to be that a new professor taught the class & expected the students to have a different or wider base of prerequisite knowledge than did the former prof. If the class was not curved, then the highest grade awarded might have been a "C".
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:We haven't seen the addendum yet, so it is hard to judge whether or not OP has a reasonable explanation.

OP wrote: I took a class that was the 2nd in a series. Prof A usually teaches the entire series but last year prof B taught class 1 and prof A returned to teach class 2. Prof A didn't like the way we learned the prereqs so he decided to not curve the class. My class rank which would've given me a B+ or A- in previous semesters suddenly translated into a C.

thebigspoon

Postby thebigspoon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:53 pm

thanks for the input. that's pretty much what i was thinking. i couldn't think of a way to write the addendum other than "my prof decided to be a douche" and come across as a whiny little kid myself. the only reason i ask is because one of the admission counselors at one of my top choices told me "explanations for discrepancies in a transcript are welcome"

yeah, the class is a required upper div course for my major. the guy who taught it is my faculty advisor lol

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:54 pm

With a 174/3.8 you're going to be fine. Best of luck.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 pm

@Dany: As shown in my edited post above, I think that you miss a large part of OP's reason.

P.S. Outside of the Top 6 or 7 law schools, I agree with Dany, however, that you will be fine.

thebigspoon

Postby thebigspoon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:59 pm

@canadian wolf

the prof who usually teaches the series took a semester long vacation so we had a newer, less experienced (but much nicer) prof teach the first class. the original prof came back to teach the second class and decided to make average a C- or something

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”