My Dilemma

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jbwez121

My Dilemma

Postby jbwez121 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:09 pm

I have been accepted to a TTTT law school. I only applied to two schools, one being a reach and the other being TTTT as the "safety." For the past few years I have been employed as a legal assistant at a east coast plaintiffs PI firm. While I don't like their type of law, I have been promised employment after the completion of law school. I don't know for sure, but based off of my conversations with the attorneys in the office, the starting salary would be between 60-70k, with yearly raises and bonuses. My problem is a) I have to take out roughly 150k in order to attend law school (not the best law school at that) and b) I am not sure if I would be happy with myself working for this firm long term. My dilemma that arises is I am unsure what else I would do BESIDES law school. I would like to get my life moving in some direction ASAP and law school would offer me that plus employment. Although I don't know if that type of salary would allow me to pay down my debt PLUS live somewhat comfortably. Anyone else in a similar situation? Just thought i would reach out to those in the same boat or maybe those that have been down the same road in the past.

bk1

Re: My Dilemma

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:16 pm

How definite is the job? If there is even a small chance you might not get the job then this becomes very very risky. I'd be very hesitant about an offer from a small firm that isn't a family sort of thing because they can't know whether they will have enough work to justify taking on another attorney 3 years from now.

The TTTT you got into isn't giving you a scholarship of any sort? Assuming the job offer is definite, could you retake the LSAT to get a full ride from the TTTT?

jbwez121 wrote:Although I don't know if that type of salary would allow me to pay down my debt PLUS live somewhat comfortably.

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

jbwez121

Postby jbwez121 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm

bk1 wrote:How definite is the job? If there is even a small chance you might not get the job then this becomes very very risky. I'd be very hesitant about an offer from a small firm that isn't a family sort of thing because they can't know whether they will have enough work to justify taking on another attorney 3 years from now.

The TTTT you got into isn't giving you a scholarship of any sort? Assuming the job offer is definite, could you retake the LSAT to get a full ride from the TTTT?

jbwez121 wrote:Although I don't know if that type of salary would allow me to pay down my debt PLUS live somewhat comfortably.

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

I think the job is very definite, my thoughts were the same as yours though. The Attorney offering is 4th from the top with respect to the ENTIRE firm (roughly 100 Attorneys). He is also the supervisor/runner of the satellite office which I am employed at. I did not receive a scholarship (I do have a moderately strong GPA) but a relatively low LSAT score. I thought of retaking one last time, I improved 7 pts between my first LSAT and 2nd LSAT, but I think I will peak around the same score. I think the risk may be too much :-/. It isn't really the law I want to be in either. Life can be frustrating haha!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:22 pm

jbwez121 wrote:It isn't really the law I want to be in either.

Find an entry level job in a field you prefer and work your way up?

jbwez121

Postby jbwez121 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 am

The more I pick my brain, I find myself falling into "I don't know what else to do so I should go to law school." At this point though I think it is the equivalent of putting 150k plus on red or black and spinning the wheel. I don't like those odds. If I had a scholly or the means to minimize the debt to 50-70k, then I might reconsider. Law School will always be there. I think it is time to explore other areas of interest.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:29 am

jbwez121 wrote:The more I pick my brain, I find myself falling into "I don't know what else to do so I should go to law school." At this point though I think it is the equivalent of putting 150k plus on red or black and spinning the wheel. I don't like those odds. If I had a scholly or the means to minimize the debt to 50-70k, then I might reconsider. Law School will always be there. I think it is time to explore other areas of interest.

1. Your odds are not even as good as red vs black.
2. Never go to a TTTT. Never go to a TTT without an unstipulated full-ride scholarship.
3. Retaking the LSAT is not a risk, except the $140 and study time. The schools that you're in the market for would not care about another score, except Chapman IIRC.

jbwez121

Postby jbwez121 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:45 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
jbwez121 wrote:The more I pick my brain, I find myself falling into "I don't know what else to do so I should go to law school." At this point though I think it is the equivalent of putting 150k plus on red or black and spinning the wheel. I don't like those odds. If I had a scholly or the means to minimize the debt to 50-70k, then I might reconsider. Law School will always be there. I think it is time to explore other areas of interest.

1. Your odds are not even as good as red vs black.
2. Never go to a TTTT. Never go to a TTT without an unstipulated full-ride scholarship.
3. Retaking the LSAT is not a risk, except the $140 and study time. The schools that you're in the market for would not care about another score, except Chapman IIRC.

My thoughts exactly, although I can't lie, if I had a full-ride to a TTTT in my situation I may have considered it...

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:00 am

Do you mind sharing your stats? It would help people in giving advice.

From the sounds of it though, you should prolly retake. You have almost two months, and it if you treat the LSAT like a second job (or if you can swing it, your only job), there is likely room for improvement. Because at a TTTT, a few LSAT points could mean money, in which case it wouldnt be a bad idea to go there since you have guaranteed employment.

jbwez121

Postby jbwez121 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 am

bport hopeful wrote:Do you mind sharing your stats? It would help people in giving advice.

From the sounds of it though, you should prolly retake. You have almost two months, and it if you treat the LSAT like a second job (or if you can swing it, your only job), there is likely room for improvement. Because at a TTTT, a few LSAT points could mean money, in which case it wouldnt be a bad idea to go there since you have guaranteed employment.

I thought about retaking, but I don't know if I could improve my score enough to warrant a scholarship. I also don't know if I could honestly convince myself to study like crazy again for the LSAT.

As far as the employment, I am still hesitant even if I had the finances if I would do it. I honestly can't say for sure if it would make me happy. What would make me happy is being a criminal defense attorney, but when you factor in my loan debt to income (post-graduation) ratio it would be suicidal....

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:39 pm

jbwez121 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Do you mind sharing your stats? It would help people in giving advice.

I thought about retaking, but I don't know if I could improve my score enough to warrant a scholarship. I also don't know if I could honestly convince myself to study like crazy again for the LSAT.

As far as the employment, I am still hesitant even if I had the finances if I would do it. I honestly can't say for sure if it would make me happy. What would make me happy is being a criminal defense attorney, but when you factor in my loan debt to income (post-graduation) ratio it would be suicidal....

I know the LSAT sucks, but for you, it honestly looks like a retake or dont go situation. If you cant force yourself to study, you should ask yourself if you really want to be a lawyer or not.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:41 pm

jbwez121 wrote:I also don't know if I could honestly convince myself to study like crazy again for the LSAT.

If you can't make yourself study for the LSAT, what makes you think you could convince yourself to study for law school?

jbwez121

Postby jbwez121 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:56 pm

I do not need to convince myself to study crazy for the LSAT. I already have done that in the past. I have seen my improvement. What I meant to say, and I should have clarified earlier, is that to me I do not know if the amount of time I would put in would necessarily translate into a higher score. I have no question that I could devote myself to studying law while in school, but right now given that I have already been accepted, I don't believe I have the motivation to take another year off to see if I can possibly raise my score enough to warrant a scholarship. Studying hard again for the LSAT is an option. In my mind I differentiate studying in law school because it would be mandatory to make it through.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:57 pm

jbwez121 wrote:I do not need to convince myself to study crazy for the LSAT. I already have done that in the past. I have seen my improvement. What I meant to say, and I should have clarified earlier, is that to me I do not know if the amount of time I would put in would necessarily translate into a higher score. I have no question that I could devote myself to studying law while in school, but right now given that I have already been accepted, I don't believe I have the motivation to take another year off to see if I can possibly raise my score enough to warrant a scholarship. Studying hard again for the LSAT is an option. In my mind I differentiate studying in law school because it would be mandatory to make it through.

You shouldnt go.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:58 pm

You should have your LSAT study method critiqued on this site to see if people find any glaring weaknesses in it that if addressed could help you get a better score. It is worth at least trying to find out if getting a better score is a legitimate possibility when there is minimal downside (putting time into studying) and a large possible upside (improving your LSAT score).

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:03 pm

bk1 wrote:You should have your LSAT study method critiqued on this site to see if people find any glaring weaknesses in it that if addressed could help you get a better score. It is worth at least trying to find out if getting a better score is a legitimate possibility when there is minimal downside (putting time into studying) and a large possible upside (improving your LSAT score).

This is the truth. The test is learnable and for your situation, improvement is necessary.

Share your stats with your diagnostic. It will help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”