..........

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sammacd25
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 pm

..........

Postby sammacd25 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:03 pm

xxxxxxxx
Last edited by sammacd25 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Apply early? Can I choose whether to update LSAT w/retake?

Postby Deuce » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:09 pm

It will automatically update.

sammacd25
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 pm

........

Postby sammacd25 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 am

..........
Last edited by sammacd25 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Apply early? Can I choose whether to update LSAT w/retake?

Postby law4vus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:53 am

sammacd25 wrote:If my file is complete, will it be reevaluated with the new score - good or bad?


Unless you're applying to the T6, the second LSAT score will not hurt you no matter if you do better or worse.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Apply early? Can I choose whether to update LSAT w/retake?

Postby kwais » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 am

If they haven't made a decision on you yet, your file will update and will be factored in. Not exactly sure what previous poster meant by except T6. Are you saying that if you apply to NYU with a 169 and then send a 175, this will not help? Doubtful

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Apply early? Can I choose whether to update LSAT w/retake?

Postby law4vus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 am

kwais wrote:If they haven't made a decision on you yet, your file will update and will be factored in. Not exactly sure what previous poster meant by except T6. Are you saying that if you apply to NYU with a 169 and then send a 175, this will not help? Doubtful


It won't HURT the OP if he does better or worse. I never said it wouldn't help if he did better.

The top 6 (more like the top 3 for sure, and MAYBE CCN) average scores together. If the OP is worried about scoring lower the second time, it will only hurt them if applying to those schools. Otherwise, they'll just take the higher score.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Apply early? Can I choose whether to update LSAT w/retake?

Postby kwais » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 am

law4vus wrote:
kwais wrote:If they haven't made a decision on you yet, your file will update and will be factored in. Not exactly sure what previous poster meant by except T6. Are you saying that if you apply to NYU with a 169 and then send a 175, this will not help? Doubtful


It won't HURT the OP if he does better or worse. I never said it wouldn't help if he did better.

The top 6 (more like the top 3 for sure, and MAYBE CCN) average scores together. If the OP is worried about scoring lower the second time, it will only hurt them if applying to those schools. Otherwise, they'll just take the higher score.


That makes sense. I am curious though, I hear this all the time about top schools averaging. What is the evidence for this? What incentive would they have to, for example, take a 172 over a 165/175 candidate? I know they occasionally say that they average, but isn't it more likely that they just say that to sound scary? These schools (especially H) regularly let in Joe Schmoe from Midwest state with a 4.0 180, so doesn't it follow that they just care about numbers and not about how many times you took the LSAT? Sorry for the rant, just always wonder about this.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Apply early? Can I choose whether to update LSAT w/retake?

Postby law4vus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 am

kwais wrote:
law4vus wrote:
kwais wrote:If they haven't made a decision on you yet, your file will update and will be factored in. Not exactly sure what previous poster meant by except T6. Are you saying that if you apply to NYU with a 169 and then send a 175, this will not help? Doubtful


It won't HURT the OP if he does better or worse. I never said it wouldn't help if he did better.

The top 6 (more like the top 3 for sure, and MAYBE CCN) average scores together. If the OP is worried about scoring lower the second time, it will only hurt them if applying to those schools. Otherwise, they'll just take the higher score.


That makes sense. I am curious though, I hear this all the time about top schools averaging. What is the evidence for this? What incentive would they have to, for example, take a 172 over a 165/175 candidate? I know they occasionally say that they average, but isn't it more likely that they just say that to sound scary? These schools (especially H) regularly let in Joe Schmoe from Midwest state with a 4.0 180, so doesn't it follow that they just care about numbers and not about how many times you took the LSAT? Sorry for the rant, just always wonder about this.


It's a good question. Considering that schools are required to report an applicant's highest score now, it doesn't make much sense to average. The best guess I have is that schools feel that averaging the scores together gives a more predictive measure of law school success. That's BS though, since the LSAT itself is a poor measure to predict law school success.

Harvard says they average in their FAQ, and I believe Yale does as well. That being said, I still feel they place the highest weight on the higher score, but having multiple scores (let's say a 4.0 and a 167/174) will probably have a disadvantage compared to someone with a 4.0 and 173 single score.

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Apply early? Can I choose whether to update LSAT w/retake?

Postby curiouscat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:07 pm

law4vus wrote:I believe Yale does as well.

I believe their policy is more cryptic than that - that they don't average, nor do they take the higher score, just look at both. :?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigBear, jreeve12, lawlzi, pd_1023 and 8 guests