MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 pm

ClarDarr wrote:
bk1 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:why is a path to middle management a "recipe for success in life." I would describe that as "a recipe for an average result with a college degree."


You do realize that most Americans would kill to be as successful as someone in middle management?

Get back to me when the perspective on TLS at all mirrors that of most Americans.


Are you seriously offering what you know to be a skewed perspective as a defense?

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby kwais » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 pm

bk1 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:why is a path to middle management a "recipe for success in life." I would describe that as "a recipe for an average result with a college degree."


You do realize that most Americans would kill to be as successful as someone in middle management?


Assumption: Most Americans have a college degree? hmm

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby TheFactor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:26 pm

kwais wrote:
bk1 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:why is a path to middle management a "recipe for success in life." I would describe that as "a recipe for an average result with a college degree."


You do realize that most Americans would kill to be as successful as someone in middle management?


Assumption: Most Americans have a college degree? hmm

That assumption actually not necessary for his claim to be true...but I see your point.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby Corwin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:29 pm

TheFactor wrote:
kwais wrote:
bk1 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:why is a path to middle management a "recipe for success in life." I would describe that as "a recipe for an average result with a college degree."


You do realize that most Americans would kill to be as successful as someone in middle management?


Assumption: Most Americans have a college degree? hmm

That assumption actually not necessary for his claim to be true...but I see your point.

It's really not that hard to verify his claim isn't true. Top 25% of households make $75K.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby TheFactor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Corwin wrote:It's really not that hard to verify his claim isn't true. Top 25% of households make $75K.

Well the original claim was "most Americans" not most households. The middle management jobs we're talking about here pay $90-110k. When you're talking about an individual making a six figure salary, it's not a stretch to assume that "most Americans" would kill to be in that position.

ClarDarr
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby ClarDarr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:
bk1 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:why is a path to middle management a "recipe for success in life." I would describe that as "a recipe for an average result with a college degree."


You do realize that most Americans would kill to be as successful as someone in middle management?

Get back to me when the perspective on TLS at all mirrors that of most Americans.


Are you seriously offering what you know to be a skewed perspective as a defense?



I should clarify what I meant; I don't think it was well understood (the fault of my word choice, not your RC). I merely meant that this was a thread about how to achieve a good job with a college degree. To me, success "in life" is bigger than what job track you take, be it biglaw, public interest, middle management or upper management. My posts better worded and less inflammatory analog would have been:

Could we call this thread "MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for professional success"?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 pm

ClarDarr wrote:I should clarify what I meant; I don't think it was well understood (the fault of my word choice, not your RC). I merely meant that this was a thread about how to achieve a good job with a college degree. To me, success "in life" is bigger than what job track you take, be it biglaw, public interest, middle management or upper management. My posts better worded and less inflammatory analog would have been:

Could we call this thread "MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for professional success"?


Fair enough. But it's MTal and it's not like he's known for his eloquence.

ClarDarr
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby ClarDarr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:57 pm

bk1 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:I should clarify what I meant; I don't think it was well understood (the fault of my word choice, not your RC). I merely meant that this was a thread about how to achieve a good job with a college degree. To me, success "in life" is bigger than what job track you take, be it biglaw, public interest, middle management or upper management. My posts better worded and less inflammatory analog would have been:

Could we call this thread "MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for professional success"?


Fair enough. But it's MTal and it's not like he's known for his eloquence.


valid.

Zazelmaf
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby Zazelmaf » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:02 pm

OP = Nando or Nando's sheep (from Third Tier "Reality")? Just wondering.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby firemed » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:24 pm

MTal wrote:
firemed wrote: Which is hilarious because he isn't even a Jew.


I'm a Jew dude. Of the Russian variety, to be exact.


My bad, I heard you weren't.

Doesn't change the fact that you need to get a life, stop posting on here, and try avoiding hyperbole.

J. R. Capablanca
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Postby J. R. Capablanca » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:04 pm

MTal wrote:1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
2. Get a job. Really almost ANY job will do.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.


Not bad. A little too simplistic, but head and shoulders above law school.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests