MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 pm

ClarDarr wrote:
bk187 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:why is a path to middle management a "recipe for success in life." I would describe that as "a recipe for an average result with a college degree."
You do realize that most Americans would kill to be as successful as someone in middle management?
Get back to me when the perspective on TLS at all mirrors that of most Americans.
Are you seriously offering what you know to be a skewed perspective as a defense?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 pm

bk187 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:why is a path to middle management a "recipe for success in life." I would describe that as "a recipe for an average result with a college degree."
You do realize that most Americans would kill to be as successful as someone in middle management?
Assumption: Most Americans have a college degree? hmm

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:26 pm

kwais wrote:
bk187 wrote:
That assumption actually not necessary for his claim to be true...but I see your point.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:29 pm

TheFactor wrote:
kwais wrote:
bk187 wrote:
That assumption actually not necessary for his claim to be true...but I see your point.
It's really not that hard to verify his claim isn't true. Top 25% of households make $75K.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Corwin wrote: It's really not that hard to verify his claim isn't true. Top 25% of households make $75K.
Well the original claim was "most Americans" not most households. The middle management jobs we're talking about here pay $90-110k. When you're talking about an individual making a six figure salary, it's not a stretch to assume that "most Americans" would kill to be in that position.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ClarDarr

Bronze

Post by ClarDarr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Get back to me when the perspective on TLS at all mirrors that of most Americans.
Are you seriously offering what you know to be a skewed perspective as a defense?

I should clarify what I meant; I don't think it was well understood (the fault of my word choice, not your RC). I merely meant that this was a thread about how to achieve a good job with a college degree. To me, success "in life" is bigger than what job track you take, be it biglaw, public interest, middle management or upper management. My posts better worded and less inflammatory analog would have been:

Could we call this thread "MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for professional success"?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 pm

ClarDarr wrote:I should clarify what I meant; I don't think it was well understood (the fault of my word choice, not your RC). I merely meant that this was a thread about how to achieve a good job with a college degree. To me, success "in life" is bigger than what job track you take, be it biglaw, public interest, middle management or upper management. My posts better worded and less inflammatory analog would have been:

Could we call this thread "MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for professional success"?
Fair enough. But it's MTal and it's not like he's known for his eloquence.

ClarDarr

Bronze

Post by ClarDarr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:57 pm

bk187 wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:I should clarify what I meant; I don't think it was well understood (the fault of my word choice, not your RC). I merely meant that this was a thread about how to achieve a good job with a college degree. To me, success "in life" is bigger than what job track you take, be it biglaw, public interest, middle management or upper management. My posts better worded and less inflammatory analog would have been:

Fair enough. But it's MTal and it's not like he's known for his eloquence.
valid.

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:02 pm

OP = Nando or Nando's sheep (from Third Tier "Reality")? Just wondering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:24 pm

MTal wrote:
firemed wrote: Which is hilarious because he isn't even a Jew.
I'm a Jew dude. Of the Russian variety, to be exact.
My bad, I heard you weren't.

Doesn't change the fact that you need to get a life, stop posting on here, and try avoiding hyperbole.

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:04 pm

MTal wrote:1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
2. Get a job. Really almost ANY job will do.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.
Not bad. A little too simplistic, but head and shoulders above law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”