MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Silver

MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Post by MTal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:26 pm

1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
2. Get a job. Really almost ANY job will do.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.

Verity

Silver

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Post by Verity » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:30 pm

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm

When should we start posting doom and gloom messages on forums for law school applicants and students?
Last edited by TheFactor on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:45 pm

keep in mind mtal has a very lowly definition of success. Seriously guys, take any non law job and work hard, that brings success.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:keep in mind mtal has a very lowly definition of success. Seriously guys, take any non law job and work hard, that brings success.
Personally I would rather work hard at a law job and fail than continue to be a success at what I am already doing.

MTal... go somewhere else. I ain't even finding you lulzy anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:01 pm

firemed wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:keep in mind mtal has a very lowly definition of success. Seriously guys, take any non law job and work hard, that brings success.
Personally I would rather work hard at a law job and fail than continue to be a success at what I am already doing.

So you want to give up a middle class salary of 80k in order to dump 150k on a worthless piece of paper and then fail as a lawyer? mmmmmkaaayyyy.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 pm

MTal wrote:
firemed wrote:

So you want to give up a middle class salary of 80k in order to dump 150k on a worthless piece of paper and then fail as a lawyer? mmmmmkaaayyyy.

LOL! First off I make all of 45K a year right now. Public record that I can happily have a mod confirm.

Second off: In-state tuition plus scholly (even if I lose the scholly) makes my total cost of attendance less than 80K. Could be as low a 70K... or even lower if I find some other funding.

ETA; Oh, and there is no proof I would fail as a lawyer... at least a 50/50 shot I'll get a law job IMO.

ETAx2: Oh, and you still need to get a life. The scamblogs and ATL are selling the same message, but unlike you they are actually amusing.
Last edited by firemed on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:04 pm

firemed wrote:
LOL! First off I make all of 45K a year right now. Public record that I can happily have a mod confirm.

Second off: In-state tuition plus scholly (even if I lose the scholly) makes my total cost of attendance less than 80K. Could be as low a 70K... or even lower if I find some other funding.
Did you not see where I said to work hard at your job for 3-5 years and be promoted?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:06 pm

MTal wrote:
firemed wrote:

Did you not see where I said to work hard at your job for 3-5 years and be promoted?
Did you not see that part where I said I would rather fail at a law job than do my present one (even if I did get promoted)? :roll:

Done with you. Time to go have fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 pm

firemed wrote:
MTal wrote:
firemed wrote:

Did you not see that part where I said I would rather fail at a law job than do my present one (even if I did get promoted)? :roll:

Right, which brings me back to my original point. You'd rather dump a shit-ton of money for the off-chance that you'd make it as a lawyer rather than work hard at what you're currently doing. It's that type of prestige-whore "I'm too smart for my job" mentality which will destine most posters here to a life of fail.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:12 pm

I dunno, I think scamblogging seems like a lot of fun, and could lead to a rewarding career. And no one is going to take me seriously if I'm not up to my eyeballs in debt with a piece of paper that says I do law good. I'm just payin my dues, yo.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:13 pm

I found a sweet picture of Dawson crying that reminds me of MTal, but I suck at computers so I couldn't put it in my post. Therefore I'd like to invite all of you to picture Dawson crying now and then equate it with MTal. And.....go.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:18 pm

kwais wrote:I found a sweet picture of Dawson crying that reminds me of MTal, but I suck at computers so I couldn't put it in my post. Therefore I'd like to invite all of you to picture Dawson crying now and then equate it with MTal. And.....go.
Is this supposed to be some sort of pathetic attempt at humor?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Last edited by KevinP on Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

MTal wrote:
kwais wrote:I found a sweet picture of Dawson crying that reminds me of MTal, but I suck at computers so I couldn't put it in my post. Therefore I'd like to invite all of you to picture Dawson crying now and then equate it with MTal. And.....go.
Is this supposed to be some sort of pathetic attempt at humor?
Part "pathetic attempt at humor" and part true. I did a search about putting pictures in posts and had no luck. This fail is just a precursor to the many fails to come due to my worthless piece of paper and prestige-whoring and...(trails off into MTal-style rant)

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:30 pm

MTal wrote:
firemed wrote:

Bro, not all of us are dumping 150k on a T2 lawl school.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:32 pm

MTal wrote:
firemed wrote:
MTal wrote:
firemed wrote:

Right, which brings me back to my original point. You'd rather dump a shit-ton of money for the off-chance that you'd make it as a lawyer rather than work hard at what you're currently doing. It's that type of prestige-whore "I'm too smart for my job" mentality which will destine most posters here to a life of fail.
Um.... how could it be prestige whoring if I am giving up prestige to do it. You, sir, are full of fail.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Forgive me if this is common knowledge but...Which law school did you drop out of MTal?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:56 pm

TheFactor wrote:Forgive me if this is common knowledge but...Which law school did you drop out of MTal?
It's common knowledge that it was a TTT. MTal's persistent posts about the trappings of going to law school are a benefit to the forum. However, he obviously goes a bit too far. Law school is a good option if: (1) you get into a top school or a strong regional school (hopefully with a scholarship and/or in state tuition) that dominates the region in which you plan to practice and have ties, (2) you understand that the practice of law typically involve long hours doing highly technical writing, reviewing dense and voluminous documents, and being under constant pressure to produce immaculate work and not make any mistakes, and (3) you do not currently have a job or the strong prospect of a job that you enjoy and provides financial security.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:58 pm

MTal wrote:1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.
What about those those who go to good schools, get good grades, and will graduate with little to no debt? They still better off with step 5?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:01 pm

Dear Mtal,

I like debt. Therefore I win.

Sincerely,
Shoeshine

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
MTal wrote:1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
What about those those who go to good schools, get good grades, and will graduate with little to no debt? They still better off with step 5?
In that case it's a tossup, but very few posters will be in that position.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:19 pm

MTal wrote:
firemed wrote:

middle class salary is 80k? high estimate there..

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:29 pm

MTal wrote:In that case it's a tossup, but very few posters will be in that position.
Oh come on, full scholarship at T10s is far from a tossup. The outright extinction of big law that was the obsession of alarmists on this and other boards a couple years ago has turned out to be false, as I and others calmly predicted all along. Absent mitigating circumstances, you should not go to lower T1s and below at full tuition, especially where there's many stronger schools that compete in that market. To that extent MTal is correct.

Even more importantly, if you don't like technical writing and reading, you should not go to law school, period. This is what the practice of law involves. However, to say that it's categorically a mistake or at worst a big risk to go to the T14 (plus certain superregionals and strong regionals) is bullshit, and you know it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”