MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: MTal's alternative to law school+recipe for success in life

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I started to point out all the reasons the OP is ridiculous, but then I got lazy.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:34 pm

What is this good life you speak of? And where can I find one?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Hannibal wrote:I started to point out all the reasons the OP is ridiculous, but then I got lazy.
I don't think it's ridiculous, but I think it's overstatements have been pointed out.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Bronte wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I started to point out all the reasons the OP is ridiculous, but then I got lazy.
I don't think it's ridiculous, but I think it's overstatements have been pointed out.
Yeah, as pointed out ITT, the main problem is MTal's binary depiction of each choice. Law school = uber debt pwnage and no chance at a job, not-law school = pleasant middle class living. It completely ignores the gradations in each options. Some people go to schools with decent job prospects on scholarships, and others go to lower ranked schools at sticker. One group doesn't need MTal's message, while the other probably does. But by lumping together everyone who applies to law school in one category, it reads as simply absurd, and waters down the message for those who need to hear it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:17 pm

taking MTal's advice in moderation is probably a good thing. i think by being so extreme, MTal will help people be a little more cautious. it isn't like anyone is going to change their career goals because of him, but they might not take the loan out for the summer program in edinburgh and have tempered expectations.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:26 pm

MTal has no shlong.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

The fact that you still feel compelled to post on this site is evidence enough that you have no business offering anyone life advice. hth.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:30 am

is it T3 or bust for Fast Food?

I applied to SMBWTAK

I got offers at KFC and Arbys but am worried.
Subway was a reach but I had some good soft breads

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

MTal wrote:1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
2. Get a job. Really almost ANY job will do.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.
Only on TLS is it acceptable to say work hard -> get promoted to management but not ok to say work hard -> get top 33% of your class. :P

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 am

Corwin wrote:
MTal wrote:1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.
Only on TLS is it acceptable to say work hard -> get promoted to management but not ok to say work hard -> get top 33% of your class. :P
To be fair, eventually being promoted to some kind of management role is a hell of a lot more predictable than making a certain % in the class; and "top third" isn't the number that gets thrown around, it's normally top 10%.

That said, MTal is still a moron.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 am

As always, MTal is just begging for Gandalf captioned with "I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving-man till the lightning falls."

Too bad I'm on a phone at the moment.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:03 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Corwin wrote:
To be fair, eventually being promoted to some kind of management role is a hell of a lot more predictable than making a certain % in the class; and "top third" isn't the number that gets thrown around, it's normally top 10%.

That said, MTal is still a moron.
Eh, only 25% of households in the US have a combined income over $75K. And that includes jobs that require advanced degrees or degrees in the sciences, just not "management" job. A management job that lands you in the $70K range is at least the top 25% and could well be the top 10-15% in the US.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Corwin wrote: Eh, only 25% of households in the US have a combined income over $75K. And that includes jobs that require advanced degrees or degrees in the sciences, just not "management" job. A management job that lands you in the $70K range is at least the top 25% and could well be the top 10-15% in the US.

Totally off topic, but is your name, by any chance, an Amber reference?

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 pm

firemed wrote:
Corwin wrote: Eh, only 25% of households in the US have a combined income over $75K. And that includes jobs that require advanced degrees or degrees in the sciences, just not "management" job. A management job that lands you in the $70K range is at least the top 25% and could well be the top 10-15% in the US.

Totally off topic, but is your name, by any chance, an Amber reference?
Yeah, some of my favorite books. :)

slacker

New

Post by slacker » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Did MTal ever actually have an interest in law and being a lawyer or has he always just based everything on financial prospects and originally thought law was easy money or something?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

slacker wrote:Did MTal ever actually have an interest in law and being a lawyer or has he always just based everything on financial prospects and originally thought law was easy money or something?
Does it really matter? His views are credited to an extent, although he's overly pessimistic and obviously trolls.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 pm

I read the title and laughed :lol:

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 pm

MTal should say where he went to school (aside from just "a TTT"). What do you have to lose?

It only seems fair since this board has been so hospitable to your one-note schtick.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:16 pm

flcath wrote:MTal should say where he went to school (aside from just "a TTT"). What do you have to lose?

It only seems fair since this board has been so hospitable to your one-note schtick.
MTal has a two-note schtick. Have you forgotten that any criticism of Israel is inherently antisemitic?

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Dude MTal calm down, I'm watching Franklin and Bash right now and lawyering totally looks like an easy, fun job that will make me rich.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Hannibal wrote:
flcath wrote:MTal should say where he went to school (aside from just "a TTT"). What do you have to lose?

MTal has a two-note schtick. Have you forgotten that any criticism of Israel is inherently antisemitic?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I don't know how I forgot, what with the subtle reminder in the avatar.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 pm

This is the law school admissions forum not the lounge.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:43 pm

tyro wrote:This is the law school admissions forum not the lounge.
Eh.

My personal complaint is his recent trend of starting a flame and then walking away after one page. I feel like the quid pro quo for his captive audience is that he, personally, should have to stick around and provide entertainment.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Hannibal wrote:

Show me one post where I say anything to that effect. In fact I've stated criticisms of Israel myself numerous times on this very site which I can readily point to.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”