Within walking distance of a couple of schools, what to do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlabamaIceman

Within walking distance of a couple of schools, what to do?

Postby AlabamaIceman » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:43 am

Meaning, I'm in D.C. currently and GWU and Georgetown (both potentials on my planned cycle) are within easy walking/metro distance. Is there anything can/should do to take advantage of that at this point, or is a tour just for the sake of seeing the schools and respective areas as much as I can do at this point?

lawgod

Re: Within walking distance of a couple of schools, what to do?

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:59 am

Go to their Bar Reviews

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:04 am

Summer session? Or is this an inside joke I'm missing?

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:17 am

Joke. It refers to Thursday night coordinated visits to a bar.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:18 am

Thought so. I wouldn't mind that though.

But no such things as coordinated visits and face-to-face at this point?

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:22 am

I dunno. You can go in and randomly meet the Admissions Dean or officer at either of those schools.
I did. It got me off the (super-duper) waitlist at GT.
It didn't get me nothin' at GW (but Dean whoever was really nice and we shmoozed for like 45 minutes.)

jdMission

Postby jdMission » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:22 am

You should definitely take advantage of your situation and sit in on classes and talk to students. You will get a great feel for what the law school environment is like. In addition, when you are writing your essays and mention that you made these visits and spoke to current students, the admissions committees will look favorably at this effort to assess whether their school is a good match for you. Good luck to you.

Sunitha Ramaiah
Consultant jdMission

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Sunitha Ramaiah, Co-Founder/Executive Vice President

After graduating from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University, Sunitha Ramaiah was a awarded a fellowship to work in Washington, DC, as a liaison in Congressman Gary Ackerman’s office. During her tenure, she founded a political action committee to mobilize the Indian-American community to become more involved in society’s political and social fabric and served as an editor of The Indian-American as a means of reaching out to the second-generation Indian-American community. She later attended Columbia University School of Law where she was founder of the South Asian Law Students Association and a founding member of the South Asian Bar Association. She practiced as a corporate attorney for eight years, specializing in mergers and acquisitions at Dewey Ballantine and later in private equity at the boutique firm of O’Sullivan, Graev and Karabell. Sunitha is now general counsel and president of Bombay Talkie, LLC, a chain of restaurants with a hip take on Indian street food.

http://jdmission.com/about.php?display=team

Sunitha:

Would you please tell us why you transitioned from corporate lawyering into an Indian food business? Did you no longer enjoy being a corporate lawyer?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:24 pm

GULC/GWU might be some of the few law schools that actually give tours during the summer and have classes to sit in on since they both have PT divisions, but I don't know for sure.

jdMission

Postby jdMission » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:30 pm

When I was a corporate attorney working with private equity clients, I learned that there were many venture capital companies investing in Indian food franchises from abroad. I was always a foodie, so I thought this was the perfect time to start my own franchise; thus, the birth of a chain of Indian restaurants. As General Counsel to the LLC, I oversee all the legal work of the company, so I am able to put all my experience to good use. Hope that answers your question.

Sunitha Ramaiah

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”