how early is early enough??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
penguin1

how early is early enough??

Postby penguin1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:47 am

Hi

I have been looking around and have not found a lot of info on this. I took the June LSAT and was planning on applying as soon as applications open. I have my personal statement done, all my letters ready to go, transcripts and all of that ready. HOWEVER, I didn't do as well as I had hoped on the LSAT so I will be retaking in October. I am looking at the lower t14 (although depending on my retake, I might have a tiny shot at CCN which would be my goal, but I would be happy with lower t14). I will have 2 years of work experience when I matriculate (fall 2012), gpa is 3.3, original LSAT was 168 (this was my diagnostic, I was averaging a 175 on all my practice tests).

So the question is will applying once I get my october LSAT be too late for these schools since my numbers aren't great? Also, should I be applying with this LSAT score and indicate that I will be retaking, or should I wait until the october scores come out??

Thanks for the help.

justhockey31

Re: how early is early enough??

Postby justhockey31 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:58 am

First, the 3.3 gpa will keep you out of CCN...anyways, you can send in your app early and tell them to hold it until your new lsat comes in or you can just have all your applications filled out and send them out immediately after receiving your score. You will still be sending out your apps the first week of November which is still early.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:05 am

Basic rule of thumb is that before November is super early, November is early, after thanksgiving is "on time", and December is late.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:41 pm

LSAT is more important. Retake in Oct.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:47 pm

acrossthelake wrote:LSAT is more important. Retake in Oct.

This.

penguin1

Postby penguin1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I am definitely re-taking the LSAT in October - that wasn't the issue. The main question is whether to apply before I retake the LSAT or wait for the score then apply.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:40 pm

penguin1 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I am definitely re-taking the LSAT in October - that wasn't the issue. The main question is whether to apply before I retake the LSAT or wait for the score then apply.

You could save a couple days on the time it takes your application to go complete if you apply now. But, you may end up applying to places you would not consider attending, if you improve on your Oct test, and wasting your application fees. You could also miss out on fee waivers. Likewise, you could waste app money on places you have little to no chance of getting in at.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:00 pm

penguin1 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

Depends a lot on the schools you're applying to, but I also don't know any specifics since I had my school list nailed down fairly early and stopped researching after that. Don't apply anywhere that will flat out reject you with your current score. Other posters might be able to tell you which schools those are.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”