Is bigger always better or size doesn't really matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justbubbles

Is bigger always better or size doesn't really matter?

Postby justbubbles » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Schools like NYU, H, GULC, etc. all have a large incoming class, but I imagine the divided sections are sized reasonably.

And schools like Y, S, NU and others are large schools but the law school class size is small and intimate.

When it comes to size (both for the law school and the parent institution as a whole) what are some not-so-obvious advantages vs. disadvantages?

Thanks

JoeFish

Re: Is bigger always better or size doesn't really matter?

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:07 am

Hmm... Bigger has more options for relationships?

I chose a school with a huge undergrad and tiny LS, which seemed perfect to me. The town will be big enough and have enough things to accommodate about 50,000 students, but the LS will be nice and cozy.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:11 am

Size matters.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:52 am

Verity wrote:Size matters.

No way. Motion of the ocean.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:55 am

rad law wrote:

Just keep telling yourself that

parsi

Postby parsi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:36 am

rad law wrote:

Juwanna Mann

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 am

rad law wrote:

Don't lie about size. Nobody's gonna throw you a life raft when the waters get rough.

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:59 pm

JoeFish wrote:Hmm... Bigger has more options for relationships?

I chose a school with a huge undergrad and tiny LS, which seemed perfect to me. The town will be big enough and have enough things to accommodate about 50,000 students, but the LS will be nice and cozy.

Yah, but I thought even if it's a large T14 school, 1L sections are divided up into smaller sections? No?

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 pm

rad law wrote:

I don't know, it's gotta be hard to stir the pot with a baby spoon. You need something bigger and able to really get in there all the way to the bottom to really move things around. Plus it has to be made of a material capable of dealing with the heat, the turbulence, and not break if the work gets all crazy. I mean, you don't need a foot long spoon, but, well...

ETA: To the OP I say this- I am going to a very small law school next year, and I have really enjoyed the fact that I will know everyone in class with me, that I will be well known by my professors and deans and such, and that I can feel like I am at a sort of large surrogate home. But I also realize that may not be for everyone... like, I could see how it could turn into high school take two if not handled correctly.
Last edited by firemed on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:24 pm

justbubbles wrote:
JoeFish wrote:Hmm... Bigger has more options for relationships?

Yah, but I thought even if it's a large T14 school, 1L sections are divided up into smaller sections? No?

i go to the illegitimate "t14" also known for its large class size. here, the class of approx 400 students is broken up into 4 big sections of roughly 100 each. each of these "big sections" has classes/professors/schedules that are completely independent from the others. then, within each "big section" you have 4 smaller sections, with each small section having its own LRW professor and 1 substantive class. social events (official ones) at the school are also centered around the small section grouping, with each one having a mentor and faculty advisor.

tl;dr ver: yes, even with big class sizes, the school would typically try to mitigate that by organizing it in smaller sections

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 pm

I'd rather have a smaller class size. I went to a HUGE undergrad as did my ex. His med school class was all of like 70 people. It was awesome actually getting to know the teachers and faculty.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Were you a newswriter before law school? Misleading attention grabbing headline followed by major let down.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Drake014 wrote:Were you a newswriter before law school? Misleading attention grabbing headline followed by major let down.

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”